Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 10-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #15
CamaroIOM12
Jim

Drives: 2013 2SS Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Do you think thisrelay and remote will work? I like the clean look they have.
http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Central...ay+with+remote
Not sure, but its all hidden behind the passenger side panel anyway.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #16
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
hognutz,
thank you for this DYI. I just completed it today. It took 45 mins. Super easy
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #17
NEVRL8

Drives: 2013 Victory Red 2SS/RS
Ok the factory setting is open at start and idle, then close almost immediately off idle. At what RPM does it open back up? I have revved mine to 5K while in the factory configuration and it stays closed?? I am just trying to make sure mine is operating correctly before I do this mod.
NEVRL8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #18
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVRL8 View Post
Ok the factory setting is open at start and idle, then close almost immediately off idle. At what RPM does it open back up? I have revved mine to 5K while in the factory configuration and it stays closed?? I am just trying to make sure mine is operating correctly before I do this mod.
How do you know it stays closed?

First off, with the car turned off and the key fob remote in your hand near the trunk you should be able to hear the relay click every time you push the button.

On the road while cruising steady at say 2500 - 3000 rpm. Push the button to open/close. You should hear some drone with it open and it will quiet down when closed.

Also, under deceleration you will hear decel pop while open and none while closed.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #19
NEVRL8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
How do you know it stays closed?

First off, with the car turned off and the key fob remote in your hand near the trunk you should be able to hear the relay click every time you push the button.

On the road while cruising steady at say 2500 - 3000 rpm. Push the button to open/close. You should hear some drone with it open and it will quiet down when closed.

Also, under deceleration you will hear decel pop while open and none while closed.
I was talking about factory operation, before I do this mod. While standing behind the car looking at the exhaust butterflies it is open at startup, closes right off idle and never opens back up even when my wife revs it up to 5K. Unless you actually have to be in gear and moving for it to operate properly??
Old 01-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #20
NEVRL8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Ahhh gotcha... It would be hard to know for sure, because at 5k rpm I guarantee you it will always be open. Don't see why it would close at all in park.

Pull the fuse for a bit and see if you like the sound. Doesn't really do much IMO except introduce some drone. Not worth the time and effort, even the 25 dollar version.
I agree. I had the fuse pulled for a year. However after a driving some long trips I thought it would be nice to be able to make it quiet when cruising on the highway. So I got the stuff for this mod. Then I decided to check that everything was working properly by putting the fuse back in before proceeding with the mod. Now it seems as if it's not and it irritates me! LOL!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #21
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
I agree. I had the fuse pulled for a year. However after a driving some long trips I thought it would be nice to be able to make it quiet when cruising on the highway. So I got the stuff for this mod. Then I decided to check that everything was working properly by putting the fuse back in before proceeding with the mod. Now it seems as if it's not and it irritates me! LOL!
Haven't heard of anyone with problems yet. It is vacuum operated so I assume the line runs to the engine. Must also be a sensor some where to tell it when to open the vacuum line. Wish I could help more. If your problem is only in park then it's probably designed that way.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #22
NEVRL8

Ok, I think I've got everything working properly now. I want to program my homelink buttons now. Do I have to program one homelink button for "on" and another one for "off" or will one button turn the RM02 on and off?
Old 01-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #23
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
Quote:
Ok, I think I've got everything working properly now. I want to program my homelink buttons now. Do I have to program one homelink button for "on" and another one for "off" or will one button turn the RM02 on and off?
One for on, One for off.
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #24
NEVRL8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnaz View Post
One for on, One for off.
That's what I thought, thanks!
Old 08-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #25
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
okay I am going to update this DIY to add the abiliy to force the flaps closed at all times.

1. insead of removing the exhaust fuse put the fuse tap in parallel with it.
2. using a wire tap find the green and black wire to the exhaust control module and tap the relay 12 v out to that wire.

I added catless headers and always open mode is just stupid loud so now I have stock and flaps forced closed with the same relay.

there is also a simple way to use a mechanical switch to have open\stock\closed by tapping into the stock ehxaust exhaust relays ground wire.

break the connection always open, connect it always stock, ground it and the flaps will be forced closed. if I get current drain issues from my relay I will switch to this approach.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #26
revobasher

I am n00b.. so how is this different than buying the $90 mildtowild kit? Just cheaper option?
revobasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #27
wickedpsi

Drives: 2014 ZL1
just did this last night. awesome mod for the $20 and fifteen minutes invested. thanks for the write up!
wickedpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #28
revobasher

I just pulled the fuse.
740hp/700tq @14lbs on E85

Build Thread
revobasher is offline   Reply With Quote