Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
3000 miles on Goodyear F1

I bought some new tires and wheels back in September of this year, the GOODYEARD f1 super car tires, same size and model that's on the ZL1 and the 1LE, I have just about 3,000 miles and they are to the wear bar??? I Have not spun my tires since I had them installed, is this normal for this tire??
Old 12-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
ForcFed93

Drives: 2001 2500HD
How hard are you driving with them? My OEM tires have just 4944 miles on them exactly and still have 7/32nds.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
SummoneR
Paul

Not hard at all, just normal driving. It's closer to 2000 miles. My stock Pzeros went 40000, the DWS I replaced them with went 37000. I'm blown away I had them do an alignment, and the car rides funny, I figured it was due to the wider tires, but the steering wheel is turned left a few degrees in order to track straight down the road. I'm thinking they jacked my alignment and it caused premature wear... Just want to get people opinions.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I think 7k miles would be the norm I've seen on the F1s but I've heard others get close to 10k. I purchased my tires back in September and probably put around 3-4k and I am going need to have my rears replaced within the next month or two. My rears get replaced at least 2-3 times before my fronts wear out. I don't track, drag, nor burn out but I do have a lead foot so that will never help.

F1s & P-Zero's have always sucked for me.

On my SS, I switched to Nitto Invo and they lasted close to 20k and did well in the rain and when it got slightly cold. On my ZL1, I think I will be switching to Continental Extreme DWS which I believe are rated for 40k-50k miles. I love having Summer Tires but they SUCK when it rains or gets under 70 degrees. Get Radials for drag when I start doing it.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
SummoneR
Paul

My front and rear have been wearing about the same with each other. My Pzeros had a few really good burn outs and they ran longer than the Extreme Contact DWS did (37000).... I don't get it at all. I don't drive hard at all because I can't afford to replace anything right now, so I just drive normal, like if it were a Toyota lol, sucks but I just dropped over 3k in the new tires and wheels, now 2000 miles later I need new rear AGAIN?.. Something is not right. Thinking of taking it somewhere else and having the alignment just checked.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I just saw your earlier post about the alignment. Definitely check yours out especially if its pulling the way it does.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #7
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camero5 View Post
I just saw your earlier post about the alignment. Definitely check yours out especially if its pulling the way it does.
Ah thanks, yeah I need to find a good local shop, I don't trust the dealership....
Old 12-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
it also depends on the quality of the roads you drive on. If there is a lot of 'rock' in your asphalt, any tire will wear more.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
SummoneR
Paul

True. It's the same roads I've been driving on for the last 20 years, all repaved of course throughout the years. I've never had a set of tires last under 20,000 miles in all of my vehicles, that was the stock tires on a Honda civic in 98, even large knobby off-road tires have lasted longer than 2,000 miles.... It's got to be the alignment, I've not seen anyone get this few miles on any tire they don't race on. I did not drag, road race or even get mildly spirited with these new tires yet. So frustrating.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Im at 12000 right now and they still look good.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #11
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Im at 12000 right now and they still look good.
That's what I was expecting to hear. Thank you all for the input. I'm definitely going to take it to another alignment shop and get a check. If it's off I'm thinking Big O tires owes me a pair of rear tires.... We shall see.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I got 18k out of my first set. However after 4k and 3 road track outings the new set is almost gone now. All depends on how it's driven and alignment too.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #13
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I got 18k out of my first set. However after 4k and 3 road track outings the new set is almost gone now. All depends on how it's driven and alignment too.
I drive my car 20 miles to a buddies house, we car pool to work and I drive it home from his house, I've not done any rough driving on these tires, so I am now convinced they either gave me a set of used tires or the alignment is jacked up.

He did tell me that they had replaced the exact same tire on a ZL1 that same day. I'd hate to think they placed those used tires on my new wheels. They looked new as far as their cleanliness but the tread depth did seem a bit low on the rears compared to the fronts, I figured it had something to do with the wider size...
Old 12-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #14
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Hmmmm definitely a possibility but then these tires do look worn from the outside edges even when new. Either way yours should have lasted much longer.

Good new is the price has gone way down on theses