Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-22-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
XM Standard?

According to Camaro Scotty, XM is standard on the Camaro. While some may view this as great news, I'm a little disappointed that it's not an option. My main reasons for not wanting XM is that I'd rarely use it and more importantly, I really prefer not to have the sharkfin antennae on the roof as I think it detracts from the nice lines of the car.

So, is there no way to get a Camaro without the XM antennae from the factory?
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
According to Camaro Scotty, XM is standard on the Camaro. While some may view this as great news, I'm a little disappointed that it's not an option. My main reasons for not wanting XM is that I'd rarely use it and more importantly, I really prefer not to have the sharkfin antennae on the roof as I think it detracts from the nice lines of the car.

So, is there no way to get a Camaro without the XM antennae from the factory?
You’re many moons late to this argument, but I'm with you... I'd rather not have the shark fin as it distracts from the sexy lines of the body...

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
BitchinCamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Isn't it the On-star part that makes it so big? The antenna that came with my aftermarket XM kit is only about 1 by 1 inch and a 1/4 inch tall.
BitchinCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
I just realized that I posted this thread in the wrong section, sorry about that. Mods, please feel free to move this thread.

As far as the sharkfin goes, I hadn't realized that it was common knowledge that all Camaros would come with one. I might have to take a trip to the body shop (when also getting a custom stripe paintjob of course ) to get rid of mine as I really don't like that look and I could care less about onstar and XM and the monthly fees associated with those services.

It's too bad those like myself that don't want the sharkfin are forced into getting one anyways.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
XM I may not keep after the initial period. Just because I only listen to music in the car, and I'm not in it often enough to warrant spending $ on the subscription.

But OnStar? That I will definitely keep. It has too many good points to not keep it.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
It's XM and On Star all the way for me. However I have a question, I keep hearing if you get any other color than grey or white the dealer sprays it on. If this is the case will they paint the shark fin also? It wouldn't look too bad as long as it's painted.

I am just stoked that GM integrated the AM/FM antenna into the rear glass, those mast antenna's are just ugly.
PA FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:53 PM   #7
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
It's XM and On Star all the way for me. However I have a question, I keep hearing if you get any other color than grey or white the dealer sprays it on. If this is the case will they paint the shark fin also? It wouldn't look too bad as long as it's painted.

I am just stoked that GM integrated the AM/FM antenna into the rear glass, those mast antenna's are just ugly.
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:53 AM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post

Don't know about the paint. I sure hope it'd cost the same....although i know it won't.

As for the antenna in the rear window,
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:38 AM   #9
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by playhard67 View Post
Damn, well hopefully the dealer can spray the shark fin the same color as the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Don't know about the paint. I sure hope it'd cost the same....although i know it won't.

As for the antenna in the rear window,
I would pay extra to have the dealer paint it, without any color it just stands out too much. I am also overjoyed with the integrated AM/FM antenna, it's too bad they can't hide the AM/FM antenna on the convertible. Like they did with the concept. :(
PA FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
just hope for the merger!!
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:15 PM   #11
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
XM I may not keep after the initial period. Just because I only listen to music in the car, and I'm not in it often enough to warrant spending $ on the subscription.

But OnStar? That I will definitely keep. It has too many good points to not keep it.
Actually, if you only listen to music in the car I don't see how you can not have satellite radio. All terrestrial "music" stations in my area are 40% middle-school locker room commentary and silly sound effects, 50% commercials, 10% music.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:45 AM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Which is why I'd love to be able to tune in on XM. The first year should be free. After that, you pay....if you don't want it, take off that fin. But, I hope you are keeping the vehicle. Because, if not....you have a fin to replace.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #13
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Actually, if you only listen to music in the car I don't see how you can not have satellite radio. All terrestrial "music" stations in my area are 40% middle-school locker room commentary and silly sound effects, 50% commercials, 10% music.
I don't hear much of the commentary and sound effects. My station has some of that in the mornings, but 1- I'm not in the car long and 2- I usually enjoy what they're talking about. LOL

A lot of the time, I admit, I don't even turn my radio on. And with the Aux. Jack and USB Port I can provide all the commercial free music I want.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote