Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #3613
thePill
Account Suspended
 
Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kaiserslauthern, Germany
Posts: 1,268
The C63 Black was up there a few days ago and some new Lambos were testing yesterday (LF-A too). I think it is going to be pretty busy today... Looking to confirm some rumors, the Ring guys say that El 500 is 620hp and way faster than any members 2010, 2011 and 2012 GT500s. Faster than the Boss LS too...

There is no way the times are run without a harness, it is impossible to run that fast without one.

Edit: Nevermind, harnesses are allowed during official runs.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:40 AM   #3614
thePill
Account Suspended
 
Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kaiserslauthern, Germany
Posts: 1,268
At least one of the GT500s have been shipped home, testing at US tracks should begin shortly. SVT is very slippery, they are like the CIA.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...dition-500321/
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #3615
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest
 
assasinator's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: huntsville al.
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
Note #2: Don't ask me what the owner of the 2012 Boss 302 is doing with the complete grille delete and chicken wire mod. He is being helped by the community .


the grill delete is because ALL of the boss cars that 'track' overheat. some havwe gotten as hot as 250degrees on a hot day. the grill delete is a requirement at the track. ford is going to redesign the front end, and sells a 2500 dollar 'track prep' pack. boss owners are pissed the LS is not truly track ready.

the owners manual for the BOSS details track requirements. removing the grill is one of them.
__________________
rides:2002 Caddy DeVille, 1996 turbo stang gt,1999 jeep wrangler,1999 454 powered GM motorhome,,
2011GT Brembo brake package, RapidSpec 300A, Candy Apple Red, Charcoal interior, 3.73 gears, spoiler delete..1 of 29-E85, offroad X, 82.5mm throttle body, CAI, axleback, E85 TUNE, 420ish rwhp.
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #3616
snakekiller
 
Drives: f150
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: san diego
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by assasinator View Post
the grill delete is because ALL of the boss cars that 'track' overheat. some havwe gotten as hot as 250degrees on a hot day. the grill delete is a requirement at the track. ford is going to redesign the front end, and sells a 2500 dollar 'track prep' pack. boss owners are pissed the LS is not truly track ready.

the owners manual for the BOSS details track requirements. removing the grill is one of them.
do you have proof of this, i've never heard of this problem.
snakekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #3617
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended
 
Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 5,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by assasinator View Post
the grill delete is because ALL of the boss cars that 'track' overheat. some havwe gotten as hot as 250degrees on a hot day. the grill delete is a requirement at the track. ford is going to redesign the front end, and sells a 2500 dollar 'track prep' pack. boss owners are pissed the LS is not truly track ready.

the owners manual for the BOSS details track requirements. removing the grill is one of them.
You say ALL Boss? I watched a few stock 2012 Boss and Boss Laguna Seca do lap after lap at Laguna Seca early August in 85+ deg weather and none had any overheating issues.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #3618
GQ4Life


 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fishkill, NY
Posts: 5,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
You say ALL Boss? I watched a few stock 2012 Boss and Boss Laguna Seca do lap after lap at Laguna Seca early August in 85+ deg weather and none had any overheating issues.
Prob not everyone but a lot of them boss 302 s .. might be at altitude but ford does say remove grill. Ford has fix. New grill, radiator, & oil cooler. Cost $2k no word yet if ford going to charge for it. Highly doubt it though should be free.

Search Google its on Ford forums
__________________
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:55 AM   #3619
thePill
Account Suspended
 
Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kaiserslauthern, Germany
Posts: 1,268
The easy fix is to remove the grille, the stock Boss and GT grilles are very restrictive and should be removed if ambient temperatures are high. The redesign coming up is to maximize airflow to the GT and Boss eliminating the need to remove the grille. It is very difficult to cool 300 degree oil with 240 degree water. Most of the Boss and GT owners do not remove the grille and most never have a problem, after a full track day in 90 degree temperatures then high engine temps will appear in almost every car somewhat.

The GT500 guys were all over this when it first happened to some owners however, it is said that the "fix" for the Boss is to simply remove the grille. The "fix" for a GT500 wanting to race in the same conditions is to remove the SC and re-program the engine management calibration. It is well known that GT500s are lacking in the endurance department due to heat soak, SVT is working on this now but you can never really fix heat soak...

I recommend a 5 or 7 bar grille from Roush, Steeda or Ford Racing with the CS grille surround and the Boss 302S hood. There will still eventually be issues with high engine temps but as long as it doesn't go beyond 250 then your good... Also, most of the issues were a compound issue while using the AC while racing still, none of the Boss 302s really "overheated" they just ran hot.

Quote:
boss owners are pissed the LS is not truly track ready.
People that really race know there is no such thing as a factory, production based and built race car, I am sure it has its advantages however, there are many things that need to be changed when you go from "open track" days to competition... which is where a lot of these Boss 302s are at. The brake fluid is changed to DOT 4 because brake fluid boils, cooling becomes an issue, the clutch gets hot because the fluid reservoir is shared with the brakes and Pirelli Corsa's don't last for ever. Most people skipped the Boss 302 LS and went to the Boss 302 Spec because these issues were actually fixed and nobody.... and I mean nobody that is serious, will happily race a 3600lb track car... so weight reduction is usually in order... Save some weight, save your brakes...

This is what all Mustang's need along with better grilles, true ram air and an open CAI hood.
Attached Images
  

Last edited by thePill; 09-30-2011 at 10:33 AM.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #3620
2010SS2SS

 
2010SS2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cypress, texas
Posts: 1,308
Drove a 2011 Convertible Mustang today and not really sure what all the fuss is about. This comes from someone who has owned 12 different Mustangs, everything from an 96 Saleen w/ mod'd 4.6 (750 RWHP) to and 04 Cobra. New ones have NO front leg room and you feel like your setting in a tunnel. Throttle response wasn't impressive at all and seemed to lag alot. My SS has been tuned so maybe I just pick up the difference and can't remember that "stock" feeling but was not overly impressed
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #3621
thePill
Account Suspended
 
Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kaiserslauthern, Germany
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SS2SS View Post
Drove a 2011 Convertible Mustang today and not really sure what all the fuss is about. This comes from someone who has owned 12 different Mustangs, everything from an 96 Saleen w/ mod'd 4.6 (750 RWHP) to and 04 Cobra. New ones have NO front leg room and you feel like your setting in a tunnel. Throttle response wasn't impressive at all and seemed to lag alot. My SS has been tuned so maybe I just pick up the difference and can't remember that "stock" feeling but was not overly impressed
Most convertibles are garbage compared to their sibling coupes, unless your talking Fox body or 3rd Gen. The fuss is mainly because their are a lot of 5.0 GT's and Boss 302s sitting on regional autocross and road racing championships this year. The GT and Boss were dominant upon the arrival of the 5.0, the Mustang was dominant enough in 4.6 form, the extra horsepower and balance put a lot of drivers on podiums this year.

There has always been a large following of S197 fans, but there will be a strong following of the S197 5.0 for a good 10 years (think 87-93 Fox and New Edge 4.6s) and then some. There are quite a few old S197s using the 5.0 to replace the a tired 4.6, the aftermarket is beginning to calm down now that there are tons of 5.0s. The fuss is just as it always has been with the Mustang, it has become a racing and aftermarket icon (no surprise) and a fantastic base to build upon... the only problem is stock weight, but it is possible to shed 400lbs out of these things without going bankrupt. There are some 2900-3000lbs S197s out there but not many...

If you thought a 3750lb convertible on all season 18s is going to change your life after you drove the cars you have driven... you will most likely be let down.


Edit: Whoops, forgot Formula D and the drifting community.. sorry Vaughn and Justin :(

Last edited by thePill; 10-01-2011 at 11:43 AM.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #3622
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest
 
assasinator's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: huntsville al.
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakekiller View Post
do you have proof of this, i've never heard of this problem.
just because you havent heard it doesnt mean it isnt happening.

go to any boss site and read.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...-issue-500146/
__________________
rides:2002 Caddy DeVille, 1996 turbo stang gt,1999 jeep wrangler,1999 454 powered GM motorhome,,
2011GT Brembo brake package, RapidSpec 300A, Candy Apple Red, Charcoal interior, 3.73 gears, spoiler delete..1 of 29-E85, offroad X, 82.5mm throttle body, CAI, axleback, E85 TUNE, 420ish rwhp.
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #3623
snakekiller
 
Drives: f150
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: san diego
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by assasinator View Post
just because you havent heard it doesnt mean it isnt happening.

go to any boss site and read.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...-issue-500146/
good read but i would imagine only a few people get this problem, ThePill explain it quite well.
snakekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #3624
Unreal


 
Drives: 2006 Z06
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 5,716
Picked up a 2012 GT automatic premium. Loaded so it is heavy. Should be meeting up with all my camaro buddies for some fun runs soon. Will be interesting to see how they compare.
__________________
Nick
Corvette Z06 -1200ish rwhp
Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #3625
thePill
Account Suspended
 
Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kaiserslauthern, Germany
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Picked up a 2012 GT automatic premium. Loaded so it is heavy. Should be meeting up with all my camaro buddies for some fun runs soon. Will be interesting to see how they compare.
The automatic is actually the faster of the 4 V8 GT options stock (auto, standard manual, 3.55 manual and 3.73 manual). The standard manual is close to it though and if the other two get a tune then they are the faster of the 4.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #3626
snakekiller
 
Drives: f150
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: san diego
Posts: 281
351 confirmed

Link:http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/05/u...-v8-for-gt500/
snakekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
camaro, camaro vs mustang, cobra, faster, mods, mustang, race

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll -- Camaro vs Mustang Supercar Shootout JusticePete Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 105 10-09-2013 02:18 PM
Does the v6 have enough power? cstproductions Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 305 08-29-2012 09:27 PM
Winner, winner - Jalopnik compares the Big 3 Number 3 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 31 04-17-2011 03:24 PM
Im sure this has been asked before.. But forgive my innocence :) gmag21 Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 23 02-21-2010 10:29 PM
The DEFINITIVE EXPLANATION OF CAMARO SUSPENSION, ISSUES, AND UPGRADES Info@PeddersUSA.com Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 106 10-19-2009 06:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.