Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
SSCamaro2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss/rs
2011 HUD

do you guys think we will be able to install this into a 2010 camaro?? I truelly hope so. the corvettes look sick with this in theirs. I dont know why we didnt get this to begin with. DAMN it. im asumming the dash should look pretty similar so im hoping that they may swap in and out. Hopefully pictures come out soon.
SSCamaro2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Only two things stopping it and it's a pretty major hurdle. Everything else wouldn't be a problem other then the shear cost.

Is the 2010 BCM capable of plugging into and operating the 2011 HUD display? And will GM release a program for the 2010 BCM to do so?

Just remember this won't be easy nor cheap like it is to put in options in a different trim level.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
Toasty
Custom User Title :D

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
the whole entire dash would need to be swapped... i dont think there is a cutout for it in the current dash?
Toasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
Sheitskees

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
the whole entire dash would need to be swapped... i dont think there is a cutout for it in the current dash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegmconnection.com View Post
Just catching on to this thread right now but my answer to your question is windshield replacement and dash cut out or replacement!
Plus HUD component install!
So just from that list there, it obviously can be done but at what price.
Sheitskees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:12 AM   #5
AdnanHfuda

Drives: none :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheitskees View Post

So just from that list there, it obviously can be done but at what price.
sounds like its going to be expensive but lets keep our hopes up
Old 04-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Toasty

... the more impossible part comes in when dealing with the BCM. the BCM will need a reprogram, and that will only be available if the 2010 BCM can support the HUD, AND GM Tech services is willing to put a program together for it.... and the mod wouldnt be under factory warranty... wouldnt necessarily void warranty, just wouldnt be covered by existing warranty
Old 04-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
how would the navigation work with the hud...would it be better than a navigation system?
Old 04-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
Sheitskees

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
how would the navigation work with the hud...would it be better than a navigation system?
I think it's through OnStar. They probably program the directions into the car and the HUD will display which directions you need to turn and such. Just a guess though...
Sheitskees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:07 AM   #9
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
ahhh prob way to expensive to be worth it...
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
There is no cutout, but that doesn't mean a template can't be made to make the cut in an existing dash and install the part. And then there will likely be a trim piece that goes around it to hide the cut edge like in the vette.

Quote:
... the more impossible part comes in when dealing with the BCM. the BCM will need a reprogram, and that will only be available if the 2010 BCM can support the HUD, AND GM Tech services is willing to put a program together for it.... and the mod wouldnt be under factory warranty... wouldnt necessarily void warranty, just wouldnt be covered by existing warranty

I wouldn't be so sure about needing a BCM reprogram. Theres a data bus that runs through the car that runs the gauges, MFD, and the radio display, more than likely this will piggyback off that and run just like in the Corvette. Being that this was a feature planned for the car originally and the way it functions (its an output only device, no input), I would almost bet money it will plug right in either inline with the gauge cluster or into a connector thats sitting there unused.

The only hold up I can see is where to put the controls for it like on the vette that control the mode, brightness, and position.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
Toasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
There is no cutout, but that doesn't mean a template can't be made to make the cut in an existing dash and install the part. And then there will likely be a trim piece that goes around it to hide the cut edge like in the vette.

I wouldn't be so sure about needing a BCM reprogram. Theres a data bus that runs through the car that runs the gauges, MFD, and the radio display, more than likely this will piggyback off that and run just like in the Corvette. Being that this was a feature planned for the car originally and the way it functions (its an output only device, no input), I would almost bet money it will plug right in either inline with the gauge cluster or into a connector thats sitting there unused.

The only hold up I can see is where to put the controls for it like on the vette that control the mode, brightness, and position.
I suppose there is an outside chace that the BCM won't need a reprogram, since it is just reading data, like you say, which would be the same as the console gauge pack... but i doubt it will be plug and pay with the harness... at least have to splice in the wires, like has to be done on some W-body cars
Old 04-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #12
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
I suppose there is an outside chace that the BCM won't need a reprogram, since it is just reading data, like you say, which would be the same as the console gauge pack... but i doubt it will be plug and pay with the harness... at least have to splice in the wires, like has to be done on some W-body cars
I still doubt that, the Vette was plug and Play and that was in 1997 however it required a different gauge cluster. The HUD didn't show up for 2 years later though. I am sure based on the fact HUD was planned the first year on this car that the ability to plug it right in is there....
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #13
Spaceballone

Drives: 1992 Custom RS, 2006 Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post

/Agree. To think that R&D have spent the last year working on the plans to implement this into only the 2011 is unlikely. However there could very well be a dash trim and control functions that could be tricky, but why not implement the controls for the HUD on the DIC or in the Radio where you control everything else. Price would be interesting. Seeing as how they like to rape us on pricing, it aint gonna be cheap, hopefully reasonable / fair for current owners.
Spaceballone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #14
Mayhem Matt

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS M6 SUPERCHRGED BUMBLEBEE
Damn what a sweet addition... I hope they can retro it into the 2010!!
Ordered Bumblebee 10/15/2008Part of the Family 6/11/2009 #11423

My Bumblebee to Superbee build story...http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105163
Superbee's 536hp Dyno Run...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE7wePluPAc
Mayhem Matt is offline   Reply With Quote