Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-20-2008, 10:13 PM   #29
99b4c

Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
Thats what I thought when GM released the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice. Still even after 3 years they have an ugly 3' mast antenna sticking out the rear. Why would the Camaro Convertible be any different?
I think the Solstice/Sky will always use the lightweight mast antenna, because the lack of a stationary rear window. GM should just put the antenna in the windshields, even my 72 Cutlass Supreme had a hidden antenna on the windshield and it worked great.

I keep noticing that Camaro fin on the roof of BMW's in traffic, why anyone thinks it makes a car look better is beyond me. I hope the 2011 Camaro has no visible antennas.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:03 PM   #30
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99b4c View Post
I think the Solstice/Sky will always use the lightweight mast antenna, because the lack of a stationary rear window. GM should just put the antenna in the windshields, even my 72 Cutlass Supreme had a hidden antenna on the windshield and it worked great.

I keep noticing that Camaro fin on the roof of BMW's in traffic, why anyone thinks it makes a car look better is beyond me. I hope the 2011 Camaro has no visible antennas.
Yea exactly just put it in the front windshield, whats so hard about that?
Old 11-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #31
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
This thread is annoying me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
Hope this helps.
A picture of one of the original engineering test cars hardly constitutes proof of anything except it has 4 wheels.
Quote:
All Camaro coupes have ..... However the convertible has ..... Doesn't make sense to me.
Really? You were there? The coupe DEFINITELY has this, and you KNOW what the vert has or doesn't have? I'd love to see the documents to support your claims.
Quote:
As you can see from this picture the lines going down the center of the rear glass is an AM/FM antenna. Funny, I just noticed this Camaro had it's Shark Fin Antenna painted.
SEMA. Not real. As in...concepts are more real than SEMA cars. Refer to above comment on engineering cars. You can attain how many wheels the car has from the SEMA versions, after that it's up for grabs to what is real or not. Would the change something like the rear windshield? Doubtful, but we don't KNOW for sure.
Quote:
That just makes it less of an eye sore, it's still there. It needs to be hidden in the body like the Corvette convertibles AM/FM antenna. GM can do it but I know they will cheap out on it.
You're an idiot. Sorry, I couldn't help it. Saying that GM "cheaps out" on the Camaro is sthe stupidest thing you could say. The corvette is a premium car, the Camaro is NOT supposed to be.
Quote:
Thats what I thought when GM released the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice. Still even after 3 years they have an ugly 3' mast antenna sticking out the rear. Why would the Camaro Convertible be any different?
Because it's a different car? Seriously, I just want to be clear why I will discriminate against your posts now...because you just compared the features on the Saturn SKY to the upcoming Camaro.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #32
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
Really? You were there? The coupe DEFINITELY has this, and you KNOW what the vert has or doesn't have? I'd love to see the documents to support your claims.
Quote:
SEMA. Not real. As in...concepts are more real than SEMA cars. Refer to above comment on engineering cars. You can attain how many wheels the car has from the SEMA versions, after that it's up for grabs to what is real or not. Would the change something like the rear windshield? Doubtful, but we don't KNOW for sure.
Yes I showed you the pictures didn't I? Every picture ever taken of the Camaro coupe (SEMA or not) has the AM/FM antenna integrated into the rear windshield. The Convertible however has a mast antenna, not the 3' long one but one of those 1.5' long antenna.

I don't visit this website as frequently as you, but didn't GM show photo's of the production Camaro that proves the Coupe has the features I discussed?

Quote:
You're an idiot. Sorry, I couldn't help it. Saying that GM "cheaps out" on the Camaro is sthe stupidest thing you could say. The corvette is a premium car, the Camaro is NOT supposed to be.
No it's ok, usually people who call others idiots are idiots themselves. They just insult others to hide their inadequacies. However, I will try to keep this conversation adult like.

If the base Camaro cost $22k and it doesn't come with these features thats understandable. When someone drops close to $35k on one of these babies it should have these features. Yes it's GM being cheap. Sorry we couldn't agree, but if you can't talk to me like an adult I have no reason to respond to you in the future.

Quote:
Because it's a different car? Seriously, I just want to be clear why I will discriminate against your posts now...because you just compared the features on the Saturn SKY to the upcoming Camaro.
Yes they are different cars, but they are both made by GM. They have nothing in common, but based on what GM has done on past convertibles (Except for the Corvette) I expect them to stick a mast antenna on the Camaro Convertible and that would disappoint me. The Camaro Convertible without the mast antenna and shark fin look so much cleaner and more beautiful.

That is why I started this, I think it would be a big mistake for GM to "cheap out" and simply put a mast antenna on this car to save a few bucks. The convertible would look so much better with everything integrated into the body. Why do you think if GM hides the Shark Fin and AM/FM antenna into the body of the Camaro Coupe/Convertible it will become a premium coupe/convertible?

People will likely pay north of $35k for a fully loaded V8 Camaro Convertible, I think GM can take these steps to make the convertible that much better. I admit I might be wrong, GM might after all release the Camaro Convertible with integrated antenna's but until I see it with my own eyes I will remain concerned.

Now to you, I don't come here often enough to care how much you criticize my post and I truly don't care what you or others think of me on this website. I am here to learn more about this car, ask questions, and post my opinions about this car. I expected at least to get an rational and adult response from everyone, but I guess that was too much to expect. However, I will say up until now I am impressed with how people responded to my questions and criticisms. You guys truly make this website great.

May I suggest that you might have a mental problem. This website has dozens of people complaining about the shark fin antenna on the Camaro because it does take away the beauty. Why don't you attack them also? GM isn't giving these things away for free, as possible/likely owners we all have the right to criticize this cars shortcomings. GM has a great car here I just want to see it be the best that it can be.

You want to continue to harass me? Go ahead, thats what the ignore list is for.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #33
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
happy thoughts... think happy thoughts! not pointing at anybody in particular, but there's no need for name-calling or belittling on here. if ya got beef, send a PM. thanks!
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #34
99b4c

Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
Anyway, I think it would be nice to see all the antennas hidden, premium model or not. The 2008 Aveo sedan looks to have a smooth roof and no whip antenna, and that is not a premium model IMO.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:04 AM   #35
blackedoutss

Drives: nothin
antena

that little antena on top of the rear window, does anyone know what that is? Onstar? if so definately no onstar for me i hope to god its not the radio antena!!! if not does anyone know what kind of antena the camaro will have? internal, a solid external antena, power antena?
blackedoutss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:30 AM   #36
XAnimal
Just in time

Drives: MRAP, M-1151 (Humvee)
Send a message via AIM to XAnimal
Thats the radio antenna

I'M HOME from Iraq, can't wait for my Black on Black 2LT RS 2010 Camaro
XAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:49 AM   #37
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Yeah it's the Onstar/XM Satellite Radio antenna. And I'm not seeing any kinda delete option for it in the ordering guide so you'd probably be filling holes if you want to remove it. The reg. radio antenna is integrated into the rear window like pretty much any new car. And you get a year of the safe and sound Onstar included in the price of the car anyway (and directions and connections for a year also if you order a 1LT, 2LT, or 2SS)
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:10 AM   #38
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedoutss View Post
that little antena on top of the rear window, does anyone know what that is? Onstar? if so definately no onstar for me i hope to god its not the radio antena!!! if not does anyone know what kind of antena the camaro will have? internal, a solid external antena, power antena?
first off... welcome to the site we're always glad to keep getting more people on the site who share the same passion about the Camaro!

this topic has been discussed a lot. here's some great places to start

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8846

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9370
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6768

for future reference, you can find a lot of stuff with the in the top right
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #39
blackedoutss

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
first off... welcome to the site we're always glad to keep getting more people on the site who share the same passion about the Camaro!
sorry i did a search but couldnt find the answer i was looking for.

ive been following the camaros progress since prob. about '04

what sucks is that they will hitting the streets in feb/mar and ill be deployed to iraq for most of the year. but i should have one waiting for me when i get back!
Old 12-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #40
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN311 View Post
Yeah it's the Onstar/XM Satellite Radio antenna. And I'm not seeing any kinda delete option for it in the ordering guide so you'd probably be filling holes if you want to remove it. The reg. radio antenna is integrated into the rear window like pretty much any new car. And you get a year of the safe and sound Onstar included in the price of the car anyway (and directions and connections for a year also if you order a 1LT, 2LT, or 2SS)
All true, I highlighted a point in bold that most people are having a hard time understanding for some reason.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #41
blackedoutss

thats actually what i was hoping for. the first time i saw that was on a early to mid 80's chevy truck. i liked the idea for the camaro and wondered if it was already done ir if i was going to need to install a retractable antena.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #42
ZYAL8R

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Shark Fins are cool, but even if you don't like them, you will surely like the free Onstar for a year. I've had to use the lock-out feature for our work trucks a few times when our employees have locked themselves out and it takes about 4 minutes to make the call and give your info. and VOILA! Your doors are unlocked. Also, you get roadside service, and car-phone minutes, and they can track your car if stolen...all that and a bunch more for FREE! Not to mention the XM for a trial period. Once you have XM, you can't go back.
ZYAL8R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, audio, radio, sound