Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 01-29-2013, 01:24 AM   #15
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
I was only mentioning parts for added power. There are no aftermarket rear ends. Its the v8 stock one. Forged internals are useless unless you run boost. Cams are out but no concrete data yet. Not to mention the price it would take to get them being you probably have to pay for install because of the complexity of it.
Sure, there are rear ends, as well as different gears, available. Half shafts and driveshafts, too. And a clutch. Gonna need 'em, right?

Forged internals, cams, etc. are a lot easier (cheaper) to install before the engine grenades under boost, so why not build it stout from scratch?

Did I mention a brand new 1LS can be had for around 22K + TTL, bla bla?

For the same price as an SS, you can have a one-of-a-kind. Or you can have a built-on-the-line. But that's just my twisted thinking.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:29 AM   #16
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
Sure, there are rear ends, as well as different gears, available. Half shafts and driveshafts, too. And a clutch. Gonna need 'em, right?

Forged internals, cams, etc. are a lot easier (cheaper) to install before the engine grenades under boost, so why not build it stout from scratch?

Did I mention a brand new 1LS can be had for around 22K + TTL, bla bla?

For the same price as an SS, you can have a one-of-a-kind. Or you can have a built-on-the-line. But that's just my twisted thinking.

John B.
What rear ends are there? Aftermarket ones?

I completely understand your way of thinking. But the cams havent been proven to be a worthwhile mod yet.

I understand the want to build something way different but the thing is the v6 has fuel problems. You might make 500 hp but thats pretty much doing as much as you can.

The ls3 or l99 at 500 hp is just barely breaking a sweat

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:36 AM   #17
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
go v8 dude better platform to work on eventually. Better platform to stick with as well and its fuel economy is actually pretty great
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #18
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
For most people, ~500 HP is more than they will ever use. I wanted the extra HP and need the MPGs. My car is getting 24-26 on combined driving. There is no way the SS is going to match it.
If you want a DD with significant power and still get good MPGs an SC or TT is a great option.
I also love the fact that I did the upgrade and it is unique.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #19
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
SS. Don't over-think it.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #20
Indy Bumble Bee

Drives: Beest
Go with the ss because you dont want to be one that buys a LT and isn't content, so a few months later you trade it in for an SS. I have a LT and I thought it would be awesome to have a TT v6 but at the same time it just wont have the sound and torque of a SS.
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #21
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Point 1: She has a lead foot so you don't want too much power
Point 2: She drives a lot

May I suggest you have her drive a V6. If she likes it, then you can put the rest of the money in the bank and start savings toward a high HP vehicle you want.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #22
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentin24 View Post
I'm 17 years old. Have a 1lt camaro, and i've had it for a year and a few months. (Sept. 3rd, 2011) and I am already used to its power and want more. But i don't want to put a SC or TT kit in it to just sell and get a V8. I will get an SS ASAP. If you have the money, do it. Or you will get bored with its power.
A SC'd and especially a TT V6 is just as fast or faster than a stock SS, so with your statement, its like saying you will eventually get bored with the SS power as well, and just end up modding it.

Sounds like you want 500+HP at the wheels or else you think your going to be bored, when in reality you'll never come close utilizing that power except at the strip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Bumble Bee View Post
Go with the ss because you dont want to be one that buys a LT and isn't content, so a few months later you trade it in for an SS. I have a LT and I thought it would be awesome to have a TT v6 but at the same time it just wont have the sound and torque of a SS.
Your right...it will have more torque than an SS.

As for the OP. The crowd is leaning very heavily towards just getting an SS, and I'd say if you want to go the easiest, and most reliably way I would have to agree with them.

Otherwise if you want something a bit more unique, with a still great but unique sound (LT headers or shorty headers with ARK DTS exhaust for example), with good power and still fairly reliable go for the IPF SC kit on the V6.

There are still very few supercharged V6s in the grand scheme of things, and two of those have gone 12.8 - 12.9 in the quarter mile on stock tires. In my mind this puts it squarely in between an L99 SS and an LS3, and probably closer to the LS3 considering out of ALL the stock L99 times on this site, only 3 or 4 of them have ran into the 12s.

The TTV6 is capable of making A LOT more power still, but for the 2010-2011 models years, I wouldn't want that on a daily driver as they seem to require much more monitoring and work. On the 2012+ V6s, they are probably more reliable (b/c of being easier to tune correctly) but overall still more care required than the IPF SC kit.

Thats my .02.

Happy Hunting.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #23
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Very well stated !
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #24
homer4evr

Drives: 2005 Dodge ram QC SRT-10,
I was thinking v6 only for one reason, in 2004 I bought a new gto it was the best Pontiac had to offer and it only had 350hp and then that was fast for a stock car. now the v6 is 300hp and I'm sure with some small mods it would be right up there with the gto. So speed isn't so much of an issue to me. both v6 and v8 are fast enough for a DD but in the overall plan I guess going v8 is a better choice rather build up to v8 HP and max out early on I can mod it whenever we get bored with it and continue to be happy. I appreciate everyone helping out and I'm sure were going to go ss now. Thanks again ill post some pics up of whatever we end up buying.
Thanks
Ryan

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
homer4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #25
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
V8.. No replacement for displacement!! Logically though why buy a v6 and turbo charge it to make it as fast as a v8. Then you have suspension work to do.. Tires etc.. And you will never get the V8 exhaust note..
Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #26
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
There is always something about putting a V8 in the rear view mirror that keeps me grinning ear to ear..... and for alot less cash.....
Old 01-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #27
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycraft View Post
There is always something about putting a V8 in the rear view mirror that keeps me grinning ear to ear..... and for alot less cash.....

And a lot less warrenty
Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #28
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruuzin LV View Post
And a lot less warrenty
gotta pay to play with whatever route you go, a tune voids that in a V8 too. plus it helps to have a good dealer that understands mods, hey if I blow it, at least I will know the weak link, Still will have less in it than a V8.