Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Headers and California emissions

Anyone with headers and high flow cats expecting problems passing California emission testing? Thinkin about headers but don't need a hassle when it's emission testing time.

I suppose a guy could keep the stock manifolds and cats and swap back them before a test. That could get old quick.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I have JBA Shorty headers and a Cat Back exhaust. Didn't want to touch the 4 cats that are in there. Supposedly, if they see a different CAT that's not CARB approved, you're fined... Hopefully someone knows more...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Its only a 3 hour job if your doing it for the first time.

I think If you get caught they make you take it to a smog referee so he can inspect the parts so you can just swap the LT's for the Manifolds again

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:20 AM   #4
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
I need to read the law again. But I believe it said, the cats cannot be moved from their factory position or replaced with anything besides other factory cats.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #5
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
You are correct Milk. In California the cats cannot be relocated from their stock position, even if they are the stock cats you are relocating.

--Eddie
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #6
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
do it, the gains are WELL worth it. I have my stock manifolds and cats, but Im sure I can find a shaddy smog tech. Nothing a $100 grease cant fix.

"What Do I Feel When I Kill A Terrorist? A Little Recoil"
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #7
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
Plus I think in California if you have a newer model like 06 and up you dont need to get a smog check for 5 or 6 years or something like that. So its worth to have it for 5 years without a smog check and then change to stock and back after.
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #8
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Some counties are exempt from the 5 year rule, and the one I live in is one of them. I believe you can find the info on DMV's site, or PM Babyhauler, he knows

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:13 AM   #9
DaveT

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM LS3
From the DMV website.

There are six counties that require smog certifications within certain Zip Codes only. These counties are:
El Dorado, Placer, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Sonoma.

Smog only required when you sell the vehicle.
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:21 AM   #10
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Interesting info. Thanks for the great replies. I'm not in any of those counties so I should be Ok unless they change the law on a whim. Also, I didn't realize there are four cats in the stock set up. Does anyone know if the actuall emisssion go up with headers and dual cats? Some states (AZ) do random road side smog tests.

The three hours to change headers/manifolds, is that using a hoist or poor boy ramps?
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
What if your car is registered in a different state? Would they still do a random check or inspection on my car? Mine is registered in Wisconsin and I'm moving to San Diego in April. I'm military so I won't need to register the car in California.
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Yup - you can't remove them (or even replace them unless they're malfunctioning); you can't replace them with anything less than CARB-approved cats'; can't move them from OEM locations; no headers are legal unless they have CARB-numbers, AND I'D ENCOURAGE ANYONE TO CHECK THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA'S WEBSITE (AIR RESOURCES BOARD) AND VERIFY ANY CLAIMS BY THE MANUFACTURER/VENDOR WITH NUMBERS ON THAT WEBSITE. IF IT DOESN'T APPEAR ON THAT SITE, FOR THAT CAR, FOR THAT YEAR AND ENGINE COMBINATION. The laws are strick, and depending on the area you live, and how strick the local law enforcement is, I'd be very careful with modifications. Some of the officers in my area are very well versed in identifying illegal parts, and even knowing what to question, which is enough to get you sent to a smog referee; and THEY will know exactly what to look for and find out if it's legal. I've been there, and done that a few times. I've had worse luck than most have had in this area, and it's not because of the way I drive, I guarantee you...

Your best bet, IMVHO, if you don't want to have to worry about smog or about smog equipment guidelines is to stay with CARB-approved parts. I think even MOST CAIs are illegal if they don't have CARB-numbers. I have not been troubled with these parts, but know that can be a problem. If you want to run LTs and high-flow cats', the tune and car have to be spot-on and in tip-top shape. Make sure those are good cats' too, because a good tune is not going to get you by the sniffer.

JMO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Low Side // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #13
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Yup! My JBA Shorties have the CARB sticker Not touching the CATS...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #14
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
most "honest" places won't even touch the cats. of course, everyone's got a price (sadly).

i was never hassled by my smog place for not having a CARB sticker for my intake on my truck...maybe they took pity on me