Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
99prbms

Drives: 2010 2lt
metra kit install questions

i am going to be using the metra kit with the kenwood 9960 nav. i will also be using aftermarket amps and will not be using the factory stereo. i read through the instructions provided with the kit but they are not all that great. i relize some of my questions wouldnt be answered in the kits instructions anyways..

questions:

whats the relay for in the metra kit?

what installation guide to i follow in the metra instructions if you are using aftermarket amps?

how do i wire the system to still use the factory center channel for on-star?

will the call buttons on the steering wheel work with the kenwood bluetooth?

do i need to install 2 mics or just use the OEM one?

can the oem usb port be re-used?

and lastly, would anyone know if they can mod the OEM xm antenna plug to fit on the kenwood xm reciever?

thank you all very much
99prbms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:34 AM   #2
jeprox

Drives: camaro 2LT/RS
any luck?

hi i think we got the same questions.. did u get any answers?
jeprox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
CamaroGeek

Drives: 2010
Metra install

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99prbms View Post
i am going to be using the metra kit with the kenwood 9960 nav. i will also be using aftermarket amps and will not be using the factory stereo. i read through the instructions provided with the kit but they are not all that great. i relize some of my questions wouldnt be answered in the kits instructions anyways..

questions:

whats the relay for in the metra kit?
The relay is there to replace the turn-signal tick which is lost when the OE radio is removed.
Quote:
what installation guide to i follow in the metra instructions if you are using aftermarket amps?
Lots of ways to do it. Probably the best is to drive the aftermarket amp directly from the head unit. Leave the existing amp in place so that it can drive the center channel speaker with OnStar/OEBT audio. Make sure that the (unused) RCA inputs to the Metra kit are all grounded to prevent noise problems when OnStar/OEBT are inactive. You may need to add a speaker to keep the chime alive, tied to the front left output of the OE amp, stuffed under the dash somewhere.

Quote:
how do i wire the system to still use the factory center channel for on-star?
See above.

Quote:
will the call buttons on the steering wheel work with the kenwood bluetooth?
The answer button does not work, but that feature will exist soon. Hang up is done by pressing the Source button on the steering wheel.

Quote:
do i need to install 2 mics or just use the OEM one?
You need to add the mic that Kenwood supplies. Mount it near the OE mic.

Quote:
can the oem usb port be re-used?
Sort of. You can disconnect it from the PDIM and connect it into the rear of the Kenwood unit. As it's presently wired, no.

Quote:
and lastly, would anyone know if they can mod the OEM xm antenna plug to fit on the kenwood xm reciever?
Probably. The connector is an SMB type, and the center metal part is surrounded by a keyed plastic part. The keyed plastic part is usually not compatible with different brands, so you may need to remove it (carefully). The connector should then insert into the Kenwood receiver. You might have to jury-rig some sort of strain relief to prevent it from coming loose while drifting.
CamaroGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
GJG

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGeek View Post

Probably. The connector is an SMB type, and the center metal part is surrounded by a keyed plastic part. The keyed plastic part is usually not compatible with different brands, so you may need to remove it (carefully). The connector should then insert into the Kenwood receiver. You might have to jury-rig some sort of strain relief to prevent it from coming loose while drifting.
but it won't work without the module will it???
Old 01-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
CamaroGeek

Well...... I'm not sure that there is a good XM solution for the 9960. To add Sirius with the SCC1 tuner, use Crutchfield's 700SIRKENV with the adaptor included.

So, you are probably adding Sirius, not XM, and Sirius and XM use slightly different signaling. I have used Sirius antennas with XM boxes and vice versa, and they work, but a properly matched antenna will usually work better.

With all that said, try it. If dropouts are a problem, add the Sirius antenna included with the adaptor.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
jeprox

Drives: camaro 2LT/RS
thanx camarogeek, i think u answered my question from my other threads
jeprox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
99prbms

Quote:
Well...... I'm not sure that there is a good XM solution for the 9960. To add Sirius with the SCC1 tuner, use Crutchfield's 700SIRKENV with the adaptor included.

So, you are probably adding Sirius, not XM, and Sirius and XM use slightly different signaling. I have used Sirius antennas with XM boxes and vice versa, and they work, but a properly matched antenna will usually work better.

With all that said, try it. If dropouts are a problem, add the Sirius antenna included with the adaptor.

thank you for taking the time to answer those questions. i installed the nav screen over the weekend. i actually wound up getting a kenwood dnx-8120 nav. i cant seem to get the steering wheel controls to work right. i programmed the radio per the metra instructions and it is set up for a kenwood.. and i believe the module reconized the car as well because it shuts the radio on and off properly, and the onstar works..

i tried programming the module to a kenwood like 3 times.. and then i would try and test the steering wheel control buttons... volume up and down seem to work sometimes... not every time.. and none of the other keys do anything.

the instructions on how to manually remap the buttons are not all that clear. have you had any trouble with this?
Old 01-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
CamaroGeek

Try this. First, go to Radio Shack and get a 22K ohm resistor, quarter watt or half watt. Connect that resistor in line with the SWC input on the Kenwood radio. Press and hold the volume up button for 30 seconds, which will force a re-detect. Let it do its thing for about a minute, then remove the resistor and reconnect the SWC wires back together (the output of the kit to the input of the radio). Test. Let me know how you do.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #9
99prbms

Quote:
Try this. First, go to Radio Shack and get a 22K ohm resistor, quarter watt or half watt. Connect that resistor in line with the SWC input on the Kenwood radio. Press and hold the volume up button for 30 seconds, which will force a re-detect. Let it do its thing for about a minute, then remove the resistor and reconnect the SWC wires back together (the output of the kit to the input of the radio). Test. Let me know how you do.

ok do i need to have the ignition on for 30 seconds first?

also i sent this question to a guy at metra... he recommended i reground the ring terminal to the radio chassis... i have it grounded to some metal behind the dash. (i knew it probably wasn't a good ground source, but i was being lazy)
Old 01-25-2011, 06:41 AM   #10
CamaroGeek

Yes, waiting 30 seconds is a good plan.

The ring terminal should be grounded to the radio chassis to minimize audio noise. If you don't have any alternator whine, don't bother to change your ground point. It won't affect the SWC operation.