Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #99
RallySport90
3AlarmChevy

Drives: 2013 Victory Red 2LS
I currently do not own a Chevy but, wouldnt hesitate to buy from the fried ofo ur families. But, this has me re-thinking any Chevy. Not a good thought to have and probably wrong but, after seeing all of this worries me.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #100
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySport90 View Post
I currently do not own a Chevy but, wouldnt hesitate to buy from the fried ofo ur families. But, this has me re-thinking any Chevy. Not a good thought to have and probably wrong but, after seeing all of this worries me.
Don't ever go to Mark Dodge in Mobile Alabama.

It's not a Chevy thing. Believe me.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #101
01TtopRS

Drives: 01 sunset metallic orange t-top RS
On the topic of certified technicians, at the ford dealership where i used to work I had a run in with the "master tech" when i asked him about the "turbo surge" in 6.0 PSD. (which i found out later by doing my own research is a underlying injector problem) But in his attempt to educate me he told me turbos work on the exhaust heat rising threw the impeller wheel and not the airflow, and that the compressor wheel doesnt create pressure even though boost is measured in PSI(a measurement of pressure) but rather the air being cooled in the intercooler to create more power. What amazed me most is none of the other tech/tech assistants questioned him but rather took his word for it and said we are just and i quote "parts changer". After this display of ignorance I simply quite and moved on down the road.
01TtopRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #102
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Don't ever go to Mark Dodge in Mobile Alabama.

It's not a Chevy thing. Believe me.
Funny you say that Randy. I lived in Mobile in 1994 and took my D50 pickup there twice and no one had time to take it for a drivability road test.

I went back a third time, walked straight to the Service Mgr's office and waited for him. I explained that I had been there twice getting no help and that I was writing a letter to Dodge and was curious what he would like for me to write about him in that letter.

He picked up the phone and there was a tech in his office in under 2 minutes, whom he instructed to take my truck for a drivability. After the drive they said it would need a tranny rebuild costing about $2000. I said I would get back with them about that.

I left and went to a tranny shop farther up Government Bvd. They fixed it for about $800 but the first time I went to pick it up they told me when I got there that a part had been left out of the tranny so they had to pull it out and tear into it again. (Hate that when you put something together and have parts leftover.) When it was finally done, it drove fine but the tranny had a whine in it and it was noisier than before, plus they didn't even put the dust boot back on.

I shouldn't have accepted it but need my transportation back. It had 150K miles and was going downhill so I ended up taking it a couple days later and trading it for a Grand Cherokee Ltd.

Some things never change.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #103
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Again want to thank Jeff for being on here trying to help where he can....your job is a tuff one. PM me from time to time if you want tech info on any number of current issues out there. I share them in talks w/GM engineers and learn plenty from them as well as the info I share with them.....but the engineers are not the issue, it is the "politics" that are so frustrating for many.

Owning a shop where we see and here similar stories non stop I am always on a campaign to try and get something done to eduacate techs like the old days when they were trained to think and understand all the workings of a car/truck.....but the training has gone so toward only reading diagnostics and swapping parts that only a few truely talented experts exist out there anymore. I realize in the big picture thats all thats needed 95% of the time, but what happens to the 5%? Examples like this. Now it was aftermarket exhaust and that complicates it, but if a guy in his driveway can install it no problem a trained tech with a lift and proper tools should have no issue with a R&R such as this.

When I worked at a GM dealership it was 38 years ago, but we were all trained to rebuild a trans, tear a motor down and do a valve job or re-ring. We were trained to be able to dissasemble, diagnose, and repair most any component on a car/light truck new, used, or abused it didn't matter.

The warranty was only 12 mo/12k miles at the time, but we were trained to treat the customer the same and never play the "void warranty" game because someone put a different air filter on or changed their own spark plugs.

Am I just wasting my efforts? Is this what we need to all just accept as the way it is going to be and there is nothing we can do.

I can't count how many techs I have hired, ASAE certified, tons of certs from the manufacturers, and they are just lost when we get into true repairs and rebuilds.

I wish the OP luck and I agree, this is not acceptable IMHO.

VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY WELL SAID. Reminds me of VW dealerships with their crappy service and their inclination to void your warranty for sneezing.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #104
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
Funny you say that Randy. I lived in Mobile in 1994 and took my D50 pickup there twice and no one had time to take it for a drivability road test.

I went back a third time, walked straight to the Service Mgr's office and waited for him. I explained that I had been there twice getting no help and that I was writing a letter to Dodge and was curious what he would like for me to write about him in that letter.

He picked up the phone and there was a tech in his office in under 2 minutes, whom he instructed to take my truck for a drivability. After the drive they said it would need a tranny rebuild costing about $2000. I said I would get back with them about that.

I left and went to a tranny shop farther up Government Bvd. They fixed it for about $800 but the first time I went to pick it up they told me when I got there that a part had been left out of the tranny so they had to pull it out and tear into it again. (Hate that when you put something together and have parts leftover.) When it was finally done, it drove fine but the tranny had a whine in it and it was noisier than before, plus they didn't even put the dust boot back on.

I shouldn't have accepted it but need my transportation back. It had 150K miles and was going downhill so I ended up taking it a couple days later and trading it for a Grand Cherokee Ltd.

Some things never change.
Sounds just like them.

These dealers make their money off of people who don't know any better or don't care. There are so many of them that guys like you and me they don't even need our business because we know better.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #105
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Drives: The one with a roof rack
WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM their skulls man!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #106
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Cool

I think the best resolve for this situation, is to let Jeff handle it, and stop calling them names, and you should be able to get this resolved JMHO........ Good Luck
Old 01-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #107
eastwoodisme

Drives: 2010 LS3 CGM 2SS Camaro
Finally had the Service Manager email me back after Jeff got a hold of them and emphasized the importance of the issue. I want to thank Jeff for his tiring efforts in making us here on Camaro5 one big happy family. Consider this issue resolved.
eastwoodisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #108

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwoodisme View Post
Finally had the Service Manager email me back after Jeff got a hold of them and emphasized the importance of the issue. I want to thank Jeff for his tiring efforts in making us here on Camaro5 one big happy family. Consider this issue resolved.
Excellent... "You get better results with an ounce of sugar than a pound of vinegar"...congrats..
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #109
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Happy to hear the issue is being resolved, I knew that eventually the right person would get some sense into that dealership. So to those earlier who were bashing GM, feel free to eat crow...

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #110
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
well

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySport90 View Post

again..making a assumption because of a dealer is stupid...maybe its BESt you didnt buy a Chevrolet anyways...
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #111
eastwoodisme

Drives: 2010 LS3 CGM 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieboy View Post
again..making a assumption because of a dealer is stupid...maybe its BESt you didnt buy a Chevrolet anyways...
ROTFL
eastwoodisme is offline   Reply With Quote