Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #15
08GT500

Drives: 2007 C6 Z06/2004 SVT Lightning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Basicllay. I believe it has the same bpdy, brakes, suspension and even gets the magentic shocks for 11 (as does the Z06 and the ZR1 has always had them).
Still steel frame like regular vettes as well. Supposed to be a viable option for people like me who want the Z06 but don't really need the LS7 but a loaded GS can go north of 70k anyway. I have seen dealers selling low option 2010 GS coupes for 47-48k.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #16
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
What is the expected debut of the C7? I think it's time if Chevy wants to have any 'vette sales at all. I like the C6, but I'm not dropping $50K + on one when the C7 is looming with the anticipation of a massive upgrade in looks, interior and technology. I'm afraid C6 sales are just going to continue to decline.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:14 AM   #17
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Vettes are nice, but I think a lot of owners (not all but a lot) are just jerks showing off their newest toy. It happens with all performance cars but as the price goes up so does the jerk to non jerk ratio. I will say the Vette isn't as bad as other more exotic cars since a Vette is almost like a chevy guys way of finally "making it" there's more normal people who just saved for a long time. I don't think the permagrin will ever leave my face. Not unless my car is crushed to death in some unspeakable wreck and is left beyond repair. Someday I'll own a Vette, but I'll always have my 5th Gen.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #18
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
A GS is not a Z06! It ONLY looks like one! If you want a car that looks like a Z06, then yeah...grab up a GS. It's not only the engine...the frame, suspension, brakes, total performance...everything other than looks.

I was looking at the GS and when I saw pricing going north of $65K on what I wanted (becuase I wanted a Z06)...I bought a used Z06 for $20K less than a new GS would have ran me with low miles, under factory warranty still, 5 yr/100K as well...plus I added GMPP protection for 4 yr/48K miles and I now have a brand new car!

GM developed the GS to look like a Z06 but that is all...a base Vette is actually lighter and faster than a GS! Plus can be had for under $50K loaded! Get a loaded GS and you are looking at well over $70K!

Finally (if you are still reading)...I love my Z06! I loved my Camaro SS too. Hell...592rwhp, supercharged, full suspension, wheels, brakes, everything...had over $20K in my Camaro...loved that thing! It was a very, very nice car...but it doesn't even compare to the Z06...not even close!

Two different cars but given the option (for my situation)...I'd chose the Z06 over a Camaro every time!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #19
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Comparing a Z06 to a SS...

Im not bitter but it just gets under my skin when people come in here stroking how good a Corvette is... great, if you can, go buy it and GTFO of here if all your going to do is talk about how much better it is.

We get it, its faster, quicker, lighter, handles better... yadda yadda yadda...

That doest change the fact that MOST (not all but most) people that drive them are older people that are too freakin good to talk to any young person with a Corvette b/c they automatically assume it was given to you or your driving "daddy's car" Screw that. Perfect example, at a local restaurant there was a sign that said "Corvette Parking only" right by the door... YEAH, F that. I parked there every time.

Furthermore, the Corvette will ALWAYS be better (in most peoples eyes) than the Camaro... isnt that why it costs twice as much? I know some one is going to say its not twice as much... Whatever, its considerable more.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #20
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
The Vette is a cool car but I was at the dealer yesteday. They had a GS Vette vert and a Camaro SS in the showroom. The Vette was stickered at $60k and the Camaro was $40K .....50% extra cabbage for the Vette over the cost of Camaro SS?!?!

It has 2 less seats and it already looks old. I just smiled and went back to the service department. The Camaro wins in my opinion.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #21
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Interior aside, I would give my left nut for a z06
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #22
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
Interior aside, I would give my left nut for a z06
They dont quite cost a nut, but getting there!
Old 12-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #23
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
With an enhanced interior it will probably approach nut cost territory. =p
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #24
9c1ny

Drives: C6 Zed-oh-six
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
Comparing a Z06 to a SS...

Im not bitter but it just gets under my skin when people come in here stroking how good a Corvette is... great, if you can, go buy it and GTFO of here if all your going to do is talk about how much better it is.

We get it, its faster, quicker, lighter, handles better... yadda yadda yadda...

That doest change the fact that MOST (not all but most) people that drive them are older people that are too freakin good to talk to any young person with a Corvette b/c they automatically assume it was given to you or your driving "daddy's car" Screw that. Perfect example, at a local restaurant there was a sign that said "Corvette Parking only" right by the door... YEAH, F that. I parked there every time.

Furthermore, the Corvette will ALWAYS be better (in most peoples eyes) than the Camaro... isnt that why it costs twice as much? I know some one is going to say its not twice as much... Whatever, its considerable more.

I own my Vette because I like it, I could give a shit what anyone else thinks of it nor do I 'need' companionship of other Corvette owners........
I am 33 and havent had any problems with older Corvette owners and am still accepted by the local lsx crowd thats mostly made up of 4th gen fbodies and gto's.......................

The Vette dosent cost 2x what a Camaro does, you can get a coupe for around 40k new, last time I checked a loaded 2ss was that much or more............. I picked up my LS3 Vette with 5k miles for $34,900, and after I sold the clear top that came with it , it cost me a net of $34,200...............

C6 ZO6s are starting to hit mid $30s so I would hardly say they cost a nut

If you compare MRSP to MRSP it looks one sided but look at real world prices and compare a very low mile one owner Vette to a new Camaro and the choice is obvious
Old 12-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #25
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Let's see now...

We've had postings here, the last few days, about F-150s, Mustangs/Bosses, Challengers, Mercedes, Bimmers, Cadillacs and Hondas...no biggie.

Then, someone watches a very fair and informative show about the Vette GS and comments positively about it. "GTFO", "jerks" and "tools" ensue...along with all manner of defensive remarks about "those" cars and the wasteful/attitude-attached folks who own/drive 'em...

$3,500 buys the upgraded custom leather trimmings, over-and-above the Sport Seat package...not a bad price compared to the aftermarket. Too bad a similar option (like we saw in the "Executive" concept) wasn't yet available for the ever-popular, all-you-ever-really-need, attitude-always-missing Camaro...

It's always a good thing to defend your own position, when necessary. It isn't necessary to castigate someone else's position when NOT asked...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #26
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
I sold my 2007 to buy the Camaro. Best thing I ever did. Most corvette enthusiasts are jerks I found out. I love my Camaro and the following!

Vetted are nice, sure but they are cheap inside. Own one, you'll soon see once the curb appeal fades it's just a rattling go cart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9c1ny View Post
I sold my 2010 Camaro to buy a 08 Vette, Best thing I ever did. Some corvette enthusiasts are jerks like all car enthusiasts (at least half the forum isnt Mustang and Challenger owners). I love my Corvette and the following!

Cameros are nice, sure but they are slow fat pigs. Own one, you'll soon see once the permagrin fades it's just a enormous grocery getter.

Nice comeback.

Camaro or new Vette. Hands down, Vette.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #27
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:

I agree with ya on this one.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #28
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

LOWDOWN... Whatever dude. Last time I checked this was a CAMARO forum. If you like a Mustang, Challenger, Corvette or whatever that's fine but don't come in here saying how much better it is. It gets old. If I want to read about how freakin great a corvette is, I'll go over to the corvette forum and you can bet your ass I WON'T be telling them how much better I think a Camaro is. Some people are just so stupid or can't comprehend anything.

And for the $3500 interior upgrade comment... I have that or less more in my Camaro and it runs better than the 07 Corvette I had. I just wasn't that impressed with it. Sure, it was nice eye candy but otherwise Eh.

For the cost arguement, MSRP to MSRP new is the ONLY way to compare. Who gives a shit what you can get a used Corvette for. Same can be said for a used Camaro. They cost less.

I'm done.