Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 09-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Question: Eyeglasses & Racing

I wonder if folks could help me with what seems like a silly issue -- but one that's bothering me?

I've always had great vision and never needed eyeglasses. At 54 I just had the first eye exam where the difference between corrected and uncorrected, though small, was great enough to warrant trying glasses.

So, I ordered prescription sunglasses for the sole purpose of using them during HPDE sessions, the better to spot apexes and track irregularities that I use for reference points.

My problem is that I've tried and tried to get used to them, but they're still bugging me. They create a sense of dizziness that I can't seem to shake.

I've researched this online, and it seems that what might be causing this is the correction for my astigmatism. The same articles say "you'll get used to it", but I've talked to one person who's only solution was to have glasses made to her prescription, but with the correction for astigmatism deleted.

Does anyone here have any experience with this? I'd like to hear from someone else before ordering another pair. Trying to minimize wasted expenditures here! Thanks, in advance, for any input you might offer...

Last edited by brt3; 09-23-2014 at 07:00 PM.
brt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
I too have astigmatism and needed glasses. I could never get used to them. Tried for about nine months and gave up. It was the movement in the periphery that made me sick to my stomach. I got contacts and have not looked back. Been wearing them for about four years now. Obviously I can wear any sunglasses I choose with no issues. I do have a pair of glasses that I wear at night when I've removed the contacts but just for watching TV. GL with your decision.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
do you have the same issue just wearing them around town? Sometimes the helmet can distort the frame by jamming them into the helmet, it could be changing your focal point. I've also had a pair where they poorly fitted the glasses or the Dr didn't nut the RX.
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:36 PM   #4
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp51998 View Post
...It was the movement in the periphery that made me sick to my stomach. I got contacts and have not looked back...
This is EXACTLY my issue. It's the distortion in the periphery that causes these issues for me. I described it to my wife as feeling as though I'm 10 feet tall, and having to trust that -- since my feet are already on the floor -- I can take a step without falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw78911sc View Post
do you have the same issue just wearing them around town? Sometimes the helmet can distort the frame by jamming them into the helmet, it could be changing your focal point. I've also had a pair where they poorly fitted the glasses or the Dr didn't nut the RX.
I should have been more clear on that; I haven't dared to try these on-track yet, since they are causing some serious issues. I can't imagine trying to drive the Corkscrew at speed in my Z/28 -- when the prescription sunglasses already make me feel slightly nauseous.

Also, I use an Arai 5W -- the full-face with the wide eye port -- and use it with the peak, not a visor. So, I always rely on sunglasses and don't need to worry about the visor distortions.

THANKS for the help on this. I think I'm going to see how cheaply Costco can make some glasses with the prescription minus the correction for astigmatism. Or at least discuss this with a professional, to see if this is a viable option...
Old 09-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Have you tried driving on track without the sunglasses but with the car's sun visors adjusted to cut off most of the bright sky? Even though you probably won't have to squint after your eyes adjust a bit, your pupils will still be naturally stopped down more than they would be with the sunglassses on, which will improve their 'depth of field' and might reduce the astig effects a little.

Getting older . . . what can I say? Up until a very few years ago, I wore (polarized) sunglasses most any time I was outdoors on a sunny or even partly sunny day. At not quite 67, not so much any more, and I've never worn them when I've been out on a track (only a recent activity for me). Good thing I haven't needed them too, because fitting sunglasses to and getting them on with a full-face helmet is far more difficult than with the open-face helmet I was wearing for autocross 5 or so years ago.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Have you tried driving on track without the sunglasses but with the car's sun visors adjusted to cut off most of the bright sky? Even though you probably won't have to squint after your eyes adjust a bit, your pupils will still be naturally stopped down more than they would be with the sunglassses on, which will improve their 'depth of field' and might reduce the astig effects a little...
I'll be driving at Thunderhill this Sat/Sunday. At this point I'll just go back to the regular old non-prescription shades. My goal is to find a variation of the prescription that allows me to wear them without the ill effects. Though my correction is fairly small, visual acuity is important on-track. Quickly identifying track features, even small details, helps ensure consistency. Will experiment and report back with Phase Two...
Old 09-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
My issue is that with glasses, I can see outside the lens in the periphery, and that bothers me quite a bit. I suppose really giant lenses would solve that, but would be pretty geeky LOL. However, I now use contacts that also correct for astigmatism and I have no issues. Perhaps try a sample pair of contacts to see if they work for you. I use the 1-day disposable, they are super thin, very comfortable and they don't bother me in the slightest.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
My issue is that with glasses, I can see outside the lens in the periphery, and that bothers me quite a bit. I suppose really giant lenses would solve that, but would be pretty geeky LOL. However, I now use contacts that also correct for astigmatism and I have no issues. Perhaps try a sample pair of contacts to see if they work for you. I use the 1-day disposable, they are super thin, very comfortable and they don't bother me in the slightest.
Thanks for the input. I have been researching this and it seems like people with minor astigmatism can have glasses made without the astig-correction. I'm finding quite a few folks posting online, and this seems to solve the issue for them. I have a hard idea with the concept of contacts (just personal preference), so I'm going to try again and see what happens. It's good to hear the experiences of others in this regard!