Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
Gears for quicker launch?

Hi Everyone,
About a month ago I bought a lightly used 2011 SS LS3. I’ve been poking around the forum ever since and this is my first post. So far I have installed a Vararam intake as my only mod. I am also a newbie when it comes to manual trans. I love the car so far but am a bit disappointed in one thing. I find the “off the line” acceleration to be poor until the rpm’s climb to over 3K r.p.m.
In my research it seems that a 3.91 diff gear would help in this regard so I’d like to hear from people with similar mods and understand exactly how the car feels compared to pre-gear change. It’s not cheap so I want to make sure it feels how I want it to. I have a 300hp Grand Prix GXP LS4 as my daily driver and i’ve done an intake, catback exhaust and tune. When i begin to roll in first and stomp on it, I can easily break the front tires loose and I’m pushed back in the seat noticeably harder than the Camaro. The camaro is heavier but has a lot more power. The grand prix falls flat after I get to about 70km/hr and the Camaro would come out on top of course. Is this difference due to gearing, engine differences or manual v.s. auto? If I could pull in first like my Grand Prix I’d be happy. My buddy told me that first gear is similar in both cars but I haven’t spec’d the Grand Prix yet to see.

Thanks for your input
Jasper
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
I think to find that instant throttle response like your Pontiac, a tune is what you need. Even with taller gears your throttle response will still lack that of your tuned Pontiac.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
EFI

Drives: something faster than you
Quote:
Is this difference due to gearing, engine differences or manual v.s. auto? I
The difference is in the tune, as in your Camaro has some pretty heavy torque management that makes it seem slower especially down low when you punch it and start to lose traction. That or something is very wrong with your Camaro if the GXP "puts you in your seat" better.

Also, gears will definitely help with what you are experiencing. Not only will they get you going faster into the meat of your power range aka over 3k rpm but they also multiply the torque more so it should feel much faster and what some people describe as "lighter".
EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
chvyman

Drives: 2SS 45TH,gfx,blade spoiler,h grille
they put 3.91s in the 1le for a reason.
chvyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyman View Post
they put 3.91s in the 1le for a reason.
Yep sure did. The tranny in the 1LE is geared different and it takes 3.91's to get the same final drive ratio as the SS. If they used the SS gears the final drive ratio would be higher making the performance for the 1LE worse than a stock SS.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote