Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
witheringsanity

Drives: 2013 1LS - Victory Red
Difficult M6 1st - 2nd shifting / GM Synchromesh / Warranty questions

first off, thank you very much for any help you can give, i apologize for the impending wall of text, and i have exhausted the search function as a means of answering my questions.

i have a 2013 1LS V6 Manual Camaro, all stock except for the stereo. like many, MANY other owners of the V6 M6, i have difficulty with the shifter.

1: it's almost always difficult to shift from 1st to 2nd no matter what RPM i'm at. sometimes it even refuses to pass through the gate at all and requires a second attempt

2: very often after a hard complete stop, it is difficult to shift from neutral to 1st (again, sometimes refusing to go through the gate and requiring a second or third push).

3: all other gear shifts, with the exception of maybe 4-to-5 and 5-to-6, are also "notchy" or difficult.

i would like to point out that i have not yet (knock on wood) experienced any of the "grinding" issues others have complained of.

though i've only put 3700 miles on the car, i feel like it should be well past the break-in period and the shifting should have eased up a bit, but it hasn't.

after much reading on this forum, it seemed like switching the stock trans fluid to GM Synchromesh may solve or at least lessen my issues. my dealer, however, will not install the fluid because "it will void your warranty". i called another chevy dealer to confirm and they said the exact same thing, that putting in GM Synchromesh will void my warranty. the dealer also told me that the 1st-to-2nd issue is not actually a "problem", that is simply how the shifter is meant to operate (so they offered no other help to fix it).

so heres my conundrum: do i ignore the dealers warning and have another shop put in the Synchomesh?

will doing so void my powertrain warranty outright, or will it simply be that any damage CAUSED by the non-stock fluid would not be covered?

is it likely that the non-stock fluid will cause damage?

if, hypothetically, the Synchomesh fixes the shifting issues, is that worth the possibility of voiding some or all of my powertrain warranty, or would it simply be better to begrudgingly live with the less-than stellar shifting?

is there some other non-warranty-voiding option i can take to address the shifting issues?

i would greatly appreciate any advice, and would VERY much like to hear back from an official Chevrolet Customer Service Rep if they are watching this forum. thanks again,

~James
witheringsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
jethrobandit

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS
Curious to see any responses. Also having issues with this on V8 M6.
jethrobandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hi James!

I would be happy to look further into this for you. Could you please send a private message with your name, address, phone number, VIN, vehicle mileage, and name of preferred dealership? Thank you!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by witheringsanity View Post
first off, thank you very much for any help you can give, i apologize for the impending wall of text, and i have exhausted the search function as a means of answering my questions.

i have a 2013 1LS V6 Manual Camaro, all stock except for the stereo. like many, MANY other owners of the V6 M6, i have difficulty with the shifter.

1: it's almost always difficult to shift from 1st to 2nd no matter what RPM i'm at. sometimes it even refuses to pass through the gate at all and requires a second attempt

2: very often after a hard complete stop, it is difficult to shift from neutral to 1st (again, sometimes refusing to go through the gate and requiring a second or third push).

3: all other gear shifts, with the exception of maybe 4-to-5 and 5-to-6, are also "notchy" or difficult.

i would like to point out that i have not yet (knock on wood) experienced any of the "grinding" issues others have complained of.

though i've only put 3700 miles on the car, i feel like it should be well past the break-in period and the shifting should have eased up a bit, but it hasn't.

after much reading on this forum, it seemed like switching the stock trans fluid to GM Synchromesh may solve or at least lessen my issues. my dealer, however, will not install the fluid because "it will void your warranty". i called another chevy dealer to confirm and they said the exact same thing, that putting in GM Synchromesh will void my warranty. the dealer also told me that the 1st-to-2nd issue is not actually a "problem", that is simply how the shifter is meant to operate (so they offered no other help to fix it).

so heres my conundrum: do i ignore the dealers warning and have another shop put in the Synchomesh?

will doing so void my powertrain warranty outright, or will it simply be that any damage CAUSED by the non-stock fluid would not be covered?

is it likely that the non-stock fluid will cause damage?

if, hypothetically, the Synchomesh fixes the shifting issues, is that worth the possibility of voiding some or all of my powertrain warranty, or would it simply be better to begrudgingly live with the less-than stellar shifting?

is there some other non-warranty-voiding option i can take to address the shifting issues?

i would greatly appreciate any advice, and would VERY much like to hear back from an official Chevrolet Customer Service Rep if they are watching this forum. thanks again,

~James
Old 08-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
witheringsanity

UPDATE #1

right before posting this thread, i had also written an email to chevrolet customer service. much to my surprise, they called me back the same day to discuss my questions! here's a basic rundown of the answers so far:

1 : the rep told me that using GM Synchromesh (or any other non-approved part / fluid / etc) will not "automatically void the warranty". the rep explained that IF the trans or any other part of the car has an issue / damage in the future and IF the dealer knows and can prove that the use of a non-approved part / fluid was the CAUSE of the issue / damage, then that particular issue would not be covered under the warranty, since it was a non-approved part that caused the damage.

2. the dealer may, at their option, refuse to install any aftermarket part or fluid, as it may implicate them in some way as to "allowing" the use of said aftermarket part. if they choose to install such a part despite this, it is likely a waiver would need to be signed stating that i am aware that the dealer has recommended against it's use and will not be held liable for any issue or damage it may cause.

i was told by the rep that a technician will be giving me a follow-up call on monday or tuesday to further discuss the details of my issues (i also asked about the use of 93 octane gas and the steps required to reset the timing tables), so i will report back with more once i speak to them. depending on what they tell me, it is likely that i will go ahead with the installation of the GM Synchomesh, and i'll report back with how that helps things as well.

here's hoping things go well!

~James
Old 08-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
James, there are no steps to reset anything on the V-6 when using 93 octane. Just use it and the computer does its thing and will lessen knock retard on its own.

AFAIK, Synchromesh will work fine and others have had good success using it in the V-6 manual box. I haven't changed mine out yet, and I'm at almost 24,000 miles, but that's where I'm leaning.

Good luck.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
UF4LIFE102SS
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 2 SS
Had same with my V-8 till I put MGW shifter in. Don't know!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
witheringsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
James, there are no steps to reset anything on the V-6 when using 93 octane. Just use it and the computer does its thing and will lessen knock retard on its own.

AFAIK, Synchromesh will work fine and others have had good success using it in the V-6 manual box. I haven't changed mine out yet, and I'm at almost 24,000 miles, but that's where I'm leaning.

Good luck.

John B.
about the gas, this is what i'm hoping since i'm now using 93. but i've read that the LFX engine doesn't use the knock sensor to determine timing (a feature on the older V6), it has timing tables similar to the LS3 (or whatever engine the SS uses). it's not that i don't believe you, i'm simply trying to find concrete proof from an official GM source. i don't want to be putting in 93 if the car isn't using it properly.

i'm shocked that you got to 24K miles on the AY6 without going crazy, this thing drives me nuts. either you're a far more patient man than i, or you actually have an AY6 that works properly.

thanks for the help!!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
witheringsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by UF4LIFE102SS View Post
Had same with my V-8 till I put MGW shifter in. Don't know!
i've considered the possibility of a whole new shifter, but if a fluid swap fixes things i'd much rather go that route, just from a money + effort standpoint.

P.S. totally jealous of your SS, thing looks awesome. if i had the $$, thats what i'd be driving too.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
The LS3/L99 is a throwback, caveman engine control system, compared to the LFX. I'm willing to bet somebody can vouch for the on-the-fly capability of knock retard not being tied to a table and that the sensor(s) being active and tied to the ECM, etc.

As to the M6 in my 2012, I've had no issues other than the semi-occasional high RPM grind during the 1-2 shift. I do really want to switch to Synchromesh fluid, though. And I do use a turkey baster to siphon out brake/clutch fluid and replace it with fresh now and then. If I'm under there and going to the trouble, I'll usually pump the clutch pedal a dozen times and repeat the process four or five times.

John B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witheringsanity View Post
about the gas, this is what i'm hoping since i'm now using 93. but i've read that the LFX engine doesn't use the knock sensor to determine timing (a feature on the older V6), it has timing tables similar to the LS3 (or whatever engine the SS uses). it's not that i don't believe you, i'm simply trying to find concrete proof from an official GM source. i don't want to be putting in 93 if the car isn't using it properly.

i'm shocked that you got to 24K miles on the AY6 without going crazy, this thing drives me nuts. either you're a far more patient man than i, or you actually have an AY6 that works properly.

thanks for the help!!
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
ChevyTaco

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I'm use the V6 M6 as well and know how you feel. I talked to my dealer and they said it wouldn't void it but maybe that's just mine. I find not forcing the shifter into a gear helps a lot with these issues. When I need to shift I firmly but gentley slide the shifter to the gate and after a half-second it'll pop through the gate. If I try to force it through (which I do when driving aggressively) then I can feel the grinding in the shifter. Try nt forcing it through the gates hard and see if that helps smooth it out. Though i will be changing my transfluid to synchromesh after 10,000 miles.
ChevyTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
Yellow_Glide

Drives: 2011 1LT "Chakita". 04 Yota
May have to try the synchromesh : have done the slave cylinder , desperate clutch / brake fluid and new Hurst billet 2, all have made a slight improvement but anything over ~2500 k rpm going into second and its going to grind.

I've heard the new upgraded 1-2/3-4 blockers solve thee issue but would like to know if anyone has them before tearing down the tranny,

Build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3847083

Yellow_Glide is offline   Reply With Quote