Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
What's with this hill assist mischief?

Works just fine for me. Ran my ZL1 all over Lake Geneva yesterday with my club and there were plenty of stop signs on top of some steep hills, I have no problems to report.

You guys still struggling with the HA?
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
No. I learned to drive a stick in 1987. I wouldn't need Hill Assist on the Alps, and if I did, I'd use the parking brake. Hill Assist is a solution looking for a problem. The car's already got a parking brake. What's the problem.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Mutant Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
No. I learned to drive a stick in 1987. I wouldn't need Hill Assist on the Alps, and if I did, I'd use the parking brake. Hill Assist is a solution looking for a problem. The car's already got a parking brake. What's the problem.
I don't even feel it, I'm still using my pedals like I always have but I guess a lot of guys here hate it.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Racer View Post
I don't even feel it, I'm still using my pedals like I always have but I guess a lot of guys here hate it.
Count me as one those that absolutely hates it. Nine times out of ten when i stall the car it's because of the hill assist (the other time is when i forget to put it in first gear). There's something wrong when a supposed feature makes the car harder to drive. I'm just glad where I live is relatively flat.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Mutant Racer

Don't blame ya Hawk!

Give this a try...cruise up to your next stop on a slope and hold the car there using only the clutch pedal. The sweet spot is right in the friction zone where the clutch disengages and engages, hold the clutch right threre using no brake.

It's called Slipping the Clutch and drivers use it to move forward very slowly without giving it gas or to hold their car up on a hill at a dead stop. I don't think the HA kicks in if you're not using the brake.

There is one drawback to doing this however, traffic coming up behind you won't think you stopped because your brake lights are not on so keep a sharp eye on your 6.

Try it though see if it works.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Midlife conVert

Drives: Black 2LT Convertible
Burnt some life out of my clutch last week backing into my driveway. SUCKS! I was not paying attention and it would not release.... sonofabeachinhillstartcrap!
Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
Au201

Drives: Black V6 auto 2LT RS
Quote:
Don't blame ya Hawk!

Give this a try...cruise up to your next stop on a slope and hold the car there using only the clutch pedal. The sweet spot is right in the friction zone where the clutch disengages and engages, hold the clutch right threre using no brake.

It's called Slipping the Clutch and drivers use it to move forward very slowly without giving it gas or to hold their car up on a hill at a dead stop. I don't think the HA kicks in if you're not using the brake.

There is one drawback to doing this however, traffic coming up behind you won't think you stopped because your brake lights are not on so keep a sharp eye on your 6.

Try it though see if it works.
So do you enjoy replacing clutches? Sorry. That was a little rude. But I've just seen someone doing this at a red light today and I was crying for the clutch which was pouring smoke. This put so much undue wear on the clutch.

Sent from my bragging iPhone using an app that encourages it.
Au201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
Mutant Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au201 View Post
So do you enjoy replacing clutches? Sorry. That was a little rude. But I've just seen someone doing this at a red light today and I was crying for the clutch which was pouring smoke. This put so much undue wear on the clutch.

Sent from my bragging iPhone using an app that encourages it.
I've never ruined a clutch doing that. You're not at any stop signs long enough to destroy the clutch anyway.

For red lights I just sit in neutral until it turns green then take off like normal.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #9
Jenner

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
I don't understand why people dislike it either. I love it because at work I park on a hill my coworkers always park their bikes right behind my car. They don't know about the hill assist and think I'm a boss with stick shift
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
I think hill assist is ridiculous. Smitty's car is a 6spd and it is very difficult to get the car on ramps with the hill assist. I put the parking brake on one click to disable that feature. This feature is an unnecessary "crutch" IMO.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
And it's 2013. Thinking like yours would have us still playing Atari. Don't be afraid of being open minded.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
Mutant Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
I think hill assist is ridiculous. Smitty's car is a 6spd and it is very difficult to get the car on ramps with the hill assist. I put the parking brake on one click to disable that feature. This feature is an unnecessary "crutch" IMO.
Makes me wonder if HA can be more temperamental in some Camaro's while being easy and unnoticeable in others.

Of course now that I did this thread I've probably jinxed myself. I'm doomed!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #13
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Makes me wonder if HA can be more temperamental in some Camaro's while being easy and unnoticeable in others.

Of course now that I did this thread I've probably jinxed myself. I'm doomed!
That and some people will always find something to bitch about. Seems no matter what a manufacture does or doesn't do, there will always be those that take issue with something. Kinda like the skip shift, a lot of folks bitch about it, I've never had an issue with it kicking in.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
on my dart it just worked from day one perfect. On my Zl1 I just had to learn to give it more power than I normally wouldhave to overcome it.

Now that I am used to it I don't notice it at all. I still don't understand the need for. It is an uneeded feature. I think it is worse on some cars than others. like I said on my 1.4L pile of crap dart with 160hp the hill assist works perfect it just helps. On this car brand new you have to give way more power than you would have normally to take off.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote