Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #99
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
The recipe was debated for many many months in these threads.

1LE+LS7+6 Pot Front Brakes+Aero Kit

Off the shelf parts.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #100
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Yeah and the name didn't help the 3 gens perform. they were lousy because most cars in that time frame where. The name didn't improve that. The thing is what you guys are looking for can't be had in the current car. I loved the early Z/28's too that is why I don't believe the current car can live up to that name.

There are people that would say that the current ZL1 doesn't live up to the legendary ZL1 of the 60's. I beg to differ. I think it's far better. These are different times and the cars are vastly different. I believe the current cars are as good as they can be for the price they sell for. I just can't see how a name will make any difference here.

Let me ask you this. If they built the car exactly the way you wanted it to be and offered it at a decent price range but called it Berlinetta, would you still be upset. I know I wouldn't if it was built and performed to what I expected.
If, if, if, man you are full of ifs! If a bullfrog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass on the rocks. The whole point of this thread (which you have obviously missed) is that there is a large number of people waiting for GM to release a Z/28 that meets or exceeds that group of people's expectations and is decently priced. Were that to happen, I think Z/28s would move out of dealerships for a while as fast as they could get them shipped in. A 5th gen version would do so, a 6th gen version would do so, do both a 5th and 6th and I think you'd see fairly large Z/28 sales for quite a while. I don't think there is any question of whether or not GM/Chevy will build a new Z/28, I think the only question is when.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #101
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Clyde, I hope your doing well these days.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #102
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Let me ask you this. If they built the car exactly the way you wanted it to be and offered it at a decent price range but called it Berlinetta, would you still be upset. I know I wouldn't if it was built and performed to what I expected.
The "brand" Z28...or Z/28...has "established cache' " from the era from which the current design was derived. Circa '69.

So, if (that word again) a pumped-up 1LE with more naturally-aspirated boil under the bonnet and more bake in the brakes and more muscle in the diff. was to march to market, it would be a "can't miss" proposition to use the same name that possessed those qualities, back in the day.

There's a reason the 1LE is being called what it is...which leaves, at this moment, an asked-for-but-not-answered "hole" in the portfolio...

...and by Spring we'll know if that answer is forthcoming, this-Gen...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #103
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
The recipe was debated for many many months in these threads.

1LE+LS7+6 Pot Front Brakes+Aero Kit

Off the shelf parts.
I don't see how this equates to what a Z/28 of the 60's was and with those parts it would cost more than a ZL1 which would negate one of the criteria that many have said would make a Z/28 which is keeping cost down.

I'm not sure that a lot of you understand what the 69 Z/28 was. You already have what the 69 Z/28 was with the 1LE. handling with moderate power and good looks.

I'm not trying to argue as much as I'm trying to understand your way of thinking. As normal with this site if you don't agree fully with someone then you get bashed. I can' take it though so bash away. It's not going to change my opinions. After all, what make a Z/28 in the modern era will be decided by GM when and if they build one.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #104
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
The "brand" Z28...or Z/28...has "established cache' " from the era from which the current design was derived. Circa '69.

So, if (that word again) a pumped-up 1LE with more naturally-aspirated boil under the bonnet and more bake in the brakes and more muscle in the diff. was to march to market, it would be a "can't miss" proposition to use the same name that possessed those qualities, back in the day.

There's a reason the 1LE is being called what it is...which leaves, at this moment, an asked-for-but-not-answered "hole" in the portfolio...

...and by Spring we'll know if that answer is forthcoming, this-Gen...
You make the most sense out of any of this so far. For me looking back at what the 69 was I believe the 1LE is there ,but if you say a little more NA Hp and better brakes would make a Z/28 then great. I'm good with that. But, Like I said, the name wouldn't make the car any better it would only sell better because of the name.

Anyhow, I'll be amazed if they bring a Z/28 out in the gen5 car. Maybe the last year of it to spark interest for the next gen car.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #105
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
I don't see how this equates to what a Z/28 of the 60's was and with those parts it would cost more than a ZL1 which would negate one of the criteria that many have said would make a Z/28 which is keeping cost down.

I'm not sure that a lot of you understand what the 69 Z/28 was. You already have what the 69 Z/28 was with the 1LE. handling with moderate power and good looks.

I'm not trying to argue as much as I'm trying to understand your way of thinking. As normal with this site if you don't agree fully with someone then you get bashed. I can' take it though so bash away. It's not going to change my opinions. After all, what make a Z/28 in the modern era will be decided by GM when and if they build one.
Yes GM said they would return to their roots regarding the Camaro. Why?, so they didn't screw it up again. Yes the price is important, but did you know that the 1Gen Z28 could be optioned to be the most expensive regular production Camaro (yes I know about the ZL1 in 1969). Research the Z28 of the 60's and come back and tell me why the 5Gen Z28 as mentioned would not be a Z28. You are also welcome to read through the (many) pages of a certain (easy to find) thread in this section of Camaro5.

Oh and you did it now! Wait till Clyde see this comment of yours. "I'm not sure that a lot of you understand what the 69 Z/28 was. You already have what the 69 Z/28 was with the 1LE. handling with moderate power and good looks." And if this is true then why did GM not call the 1LE a Z28? Hmmmmmmmmm
Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #106
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Having owned a '68 ZEE for about 9 months in '69-'70, I can assure you there were MANY differences between an SS 350 and Z/28...and those differences (and someone named Donahue) exceeded what the current 1LE option offers.

Think of the 1LE as Camaro's answer to the Mustang GT with Track Pack (I do)...and you'll then realize the BOSS LS goes "unanswered"...

If you're more comfortable with Vette parlance, the GS is the 1LE...and the Z06 goes "unanswered"...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #107
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
You make the most sense out of any of this so far. For me looking back at what the 69 was I believe the 1LE is there ,but if you say a little more NA Hp and better brakes would make a Z/28 then great. I'm good with that. But, Like I said, the name wouldn't make the car any better it would only sell better because of the name.

Anyhow, I'll be amazed if they bring a Z/28 out in the gen5 car. Maybe the last year of it to spark interest for the next gen car.
You are so hung up on the name thing. What we are saying is if you build it right according to the original plan what else would you name it besides Z28? Car first, name second.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #108
wildpaws

Quote:

For someone with as high a post count as you have, it's rather obvious that you have spent very little time in the Z/28 forum. There are quite a few here who do "get it" and understand exactly what the first gen Z/28 was, quite a few of us owned first gen Z/28s when they were current models (i.e.'67-'69). And anyone that thinks the 302cid Z/28 had "moderate power" surely has no real knowledge about that engine or the first gen. Z/28 as a whole. The 1LE today has the same engine as the SS, because there are suspension improvements it does handle better than the current SS, but that will be marginal improvement because they run the same engine.. In the first gens, the Z/28 had an entirely different engine, so different that the 350cid SS models didn't even have a chance in hell of keeping up with a Z/28. What we are thinking has been explained at least a thousand times in the many threads in the Z/28 section (can you say "beating a dead horse"!!), I'm sure not going to type it all and explain it all again (and I doubt anyone else is), every bit of it is already available in public threads within the Z/28 forum.
Clyde
Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #109
wildpaws

Quote:
Clyde, I hope your doing well these days.
Thanks for asking and your kind thoughts! I'm doing as well as I expected to be at this point in time, I'm meeting one on one with a grief counselor on Thursday as a pre-requisite to taking part in a grief counseling group. I've had a lot of support from a few good friends and my church, the good days outnumber the bad days right now. It's strange how it works, I can be driving down the road and everything seems fine and the next minute I'm mentallly torn up sometimes to the point of not being aware of where I'm driving. Sometimes it's little things, coming home after work and expecting my wife to be practicing the piano when I come through the door and then realizing that it will never be happening again. Anyway, I've gone on enough in an off topic vein, I'm OK and I'm surviving, and thank you again for asking.
Clyde
Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #110
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:

The original Z/28 was set up to race in the Trans Am series. It had a 302 because there was a displacement cap. It was a pure race car. The 1LE is a performance package, not its own model.

The 1LE covers the suspension and gearing side but it doesn't have the power, aero and brakes. The BOSS 302 LS should be the model you compare it to, not a GT with the track pack, which is what the 1LE compares to.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #111
motorhead

Quote:
You are so hung up on the name thing. What we are saying is if you build it right according to the original plan what else would you name it besides Z28? Car first, name second.
This makes sense to me put this way. I'm sorry that no one really gets what I'm trying to say. I also don't understand what my post count has to do with anything. I love these cars too and have been following them since 2006. I just don't always have the most popular view on things. Like I said before, I hope you guys get your dream to come true. I'm glad that mine finally did. For a true modern 69 Z/28 to surface it would have to have a highly underrated small displacement motor. To me this is what made the car get the rep it had on the street. Back in the day we couldn't understand why these cars were so fast because they were only rated at 290 hp. It wasn't until years later that people found out the they were closer to 400hp.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #112
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
I think it's possible IF they introduce a Z/28, I'm willing to bet its going to have the genV LT1 450Hp engine.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote