Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want a more powerful version of the Camaro(Z28)?
Yes 836 76.07%
No 263 23.93%
Voters: 1099. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2009, 03:43 AM   #1121
Lumina SS
Corvette Z51

Drives: Corvette Z51 476rwhp & camaro
what is the defrence between SS and the Z28 it is only the hood,spoiler,suspention, catback or tips maybe and rims if you upgrade the Z28 with these thing it well be just like the real SS no problem. even you can make it better than the SS
Lumina SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #1122
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumina SS View Post
what is the defrence between SS and the Z28 it is only the hood,spoiler,suspention, catback or tips maybe and rims if you upgrade the Z28 with these thing it well be just like the real SS no problem. even you can make it better than the SS
Historically, the Z28 has been the best Camaro you could order from the factory. 4th gen SS's were Z28's modified by a shop that was eventully authorized to make SS's. In the early days there was a ZL1 but that was a really special car made for the purpose of drag racing and the average Joe couldn't order one anyway. The Z28 began life as a road racer with performance that has made the name legendary.

As of yet there is no 5th gen Z28.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum

Last edited by DGthe3; 01-19-2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: added last line
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #1123
fredl11

Drives: 2000 TT SS Camaro
Thumbs up I beg to Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Historically, the Z28 has been the best Camaro you could order from the factory. 4th gen SS's were Z28's modified by a shop that was eventully authorized to make SS's. In the early days there was a ZL1 but that was a really special car made for the purpose of drag racing and the average Joe couldn't order one anyway. The Z28 began life as a road racer with performance that has made the name legendary.

In the late 60's You wanted Muscle you went with the Camaro SS. i.e. SS 396 In the 70's the big blocks faded out and you could get the SS 350. The original Z/28 was a 302 cu. in and was made for road racing, but still quick in the straights.
In my day we noticed the Z/28,340 Cudas, 302 Boss Mustang but the big boys on the block were the 454 Chevelle SS,396 SS Camaro,396 Chevy Nova,426 Hemi Cuda,440 Road Runner/Charger,421/389 GTO, 429 Cobra Jet. When they pulled into the parking lot all heads were up and heading over to start talking %$^&
Daytona Sunset Orange 06 C6 Waiting for C7
2005 Sunset Orange Colorado Replaced with 2010 GMC Sierra SLE
fredl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #1124
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Legend View Post
I'd call that "rice" if I saw one...but it will happen! Even the 5th gen is not immune to bad taste...it's just a matter of time. :(
No, Rice would be putting a TYPE "R" on it... Putting Z28 on one would not make it a Z28 but could be considered a tribute to the Z28 by the owner, a sort of individuals interpretation of what the Z28 should be.

Does removing badges make a SS not an SS? many Ricer's debadge their cars to make them look like lesser models. So using your logic, removing badges is just as bad as putting on badges.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #1125
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredl11 View Post
In the late 60's You wanted Muscle you went with the Camaro SS. i.e. SS 396 In the 70's the big blocks faded out and you could get the SS 350. The original Z/28 was a 302 cu. in and was made for road racing, but still quick in the straights.
In my day we noticed the Z/28,340 Cudas, 302 Boss Mustang but the big boys on the block were the 454 Chevelle SS,396 SS Camaro,396 Chevy Nova,426 Hemi Cuda,440 Road Runner/Charger,421/389 GTO, 429 Cobra Jet. When they pulled into the parking lot all heads were up and heading over to start talking %$^&
Thank you. And that is the part that I could never explain by myself. The never ending debate (and ultimate compromise) of what is better: SS or Z28.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 01-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #1126
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
No, Rice would be putting a TYPE "R" on it... Putting Z28 on one would not make it a Z28 but could be considered a tribute to the Z28 by the owner, a sort of individuals interpretation of what the Z28 should be.

Does removing badges make a SS not an SS? many Ricer's debadge their cars to make them look like lesser models. So using your logic, removing badges is just as bad as putting on badges.
Right I've seen it. I don't understand why you would feel good about yourself beating someone with a lesser motor by disguising the fact. Racing should be about the driver, not the motor. If there is not full disclosure then it is a stupid race. I would be a fool in my Lexus IS 350 to race a Ferrari. A car should stay badged properly. Just my opinion.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #1127
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
on the 4th gen camaros, the only main difference was catback exhaust, intake, wheels, suspension upgrades, and badges. however do not (like most people do) confuse the 4th gen SS/Z28 to any other version. when GM started making the 4th gen f-body, there were only 2 versions, the base v-6 and the top dog Z28. the camaro was already on the cutting board at that time. SLP came out in 96 and started taking Z28's and modifying them, adding a few bolt ons and rebadging them as SS's. GM jumped on board and started adding the "SS" upgrade to the option listing and the cars were sent straight to SLP from the factory. there was never a plan for 3 models from GM to begin with. which is why people often feel that the SS is better than the Z28.

now with the 5th gen, we have 2 models. a base V-6 and an upper level SS. when GM gets these cars out the door and into peoples driveways, they can worry about how they will make a Z28 to take the reigns as the Top Dog Camaro.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #1128
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post

I guess im a ricer then. I've debadged my 94Z and 95Z and my 78LT.

but im a double ricer then as well, cus im putting on 69 Z28 badges onto the 94Z.

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:15 PM   #1129
Lumina SS
Corvette Z51

Drives: Corvette Z51 476rwhp & camaro
Quote:

guys you are eating me alive for say these thing my only point if anybody buy these things i wright there well be no defrence between the ss and the z28 in the 4th generation so anybody can make a clon but it well just like the ss
Lumina SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #1130
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
there well be no defrence between the ss and the z28 in the 4th generation so anybody can make a clon but it well just like the ss
Don't tell that to any 4th generation guys.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:46 AM   #1131
camaroART

Drives: 84 CAMARO BERLINETTA+
if they were to a z28it should ,no power windows,no power seats less sound deadener.light s.mc. plastic fenders,and hood. more like a racer, even have an a/c delete. why does the new camaro.weigh so much?????
camaroART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:40 AM   #1132
Templar

Drives: 99 SS Camaro
From a historical point of view of the late 60's. The Z28 was the ultimate track car. Although higher out put motors were available in other style/trim (SS,RS/SS,ZL1,COPO cars etc.etc.) My heart is still very fond of the mighty 302.
Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #1133
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroART View Post
if they were to a z28it should ,no power windows,no power seats less sound deadener.light s.mc. plastic fenders,and hood. more like a racer, even have an a/c delete. why does the new camaro.weigh so much?????
Used to have this as my sig. I saved it for just such an occasion:
Quote:
As to the weight thing.........it's painfully obvious to me that most do not understand automotive engineering as it relates to durability/reliability/safety/government mandates............. - Fbodfather

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 01-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #1134
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Used to have this as my sig. I saved it for just such an occasion:
Maybe it's time to bring it back...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote