Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-19-2015, 11:54 PM   #1
chavabd87

Drives: Silver Camaro
Questions on Supercharging(I'm a rookie)

I own a 2010 SS L99, I have a Borla S Type and CAI Brand Intake, other then that the car/engine is 100% stock.

I'm looking in to getting a supercharger, Whipple, SLP, or E-Froce, is what I'm looking at.

My Question is what exactly do I need? Should I upgrade anything else?

I use my car as a daily driver, I don't go out to the track I just want some more excitement out of my car. I dont drive it
hard, but I do punch it when I get the chance. When I decide to pull the trigger I plan to take it to a shop to get a pro to
install is and tune it.

The problem is I don't know of anybody with a good rep that does any of that where I live. I live near the Palm Springs are CA. I'm about a 2 and half hour drive from LA and 3 hours from San Diego. Does anyone know a performance shop anywhere near me?

I don't mind making the drive. I just want my car being worked on by someone with experience.

I know its a lot of Questions but it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
chavabd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:55 AM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
if it comes with injectors they will probably be way to small. Can you even legally have a SC in ca
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:27 AM   #3
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
For a beginner I would say get a Vortech system and purchase their warranty. They will give you a list of shops that they deem qualified to do the install. As long as you take it to one of those shops and do everything else specified in the warranty, then you won't have to worry about blown engines, blown transmissions, etc. Other supercharger companies offer warranties as well but Vortech is probably the most well known.

Another bit of advice, don't go over 8 psi boost max. I don't care who the shop or engine builder is, what they say they can do, or whatever, stay at 8 psi absolute max or less. If any shop tells you they can get you to over 600 hp or more on your stock internals and stock trans and you'll be fine, get it in writing. Last thing you want is a blown engine. And these shops and builders, for all the big talk, they get senile when it comes to cars they built that suffer failures. If they talk big, tell them to put it in writing or no deal.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:54 AM   #4
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
if it comes with injectors they will probably be way to small. Can you even legally have a SC in ca
Yes. All three that he mentioned are CARB approved.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:56 AM   #5
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavabd87 View Post
I own a 2010 SS L99, I have a Borla S Type and CAI Brand Intake, other then that the car/engine is 100% stock.

I'm looking in to getting a supercharger, Whipple, SLP, or E-Froce, is what I'm looking at.

My Question is what exactly do I need? Should I upgrade anything else?

I use my car as a daily driver, I don't go out to the track I just want some more excitement out of my car. I dont drive it
hard, but I do punch it when I get the chance. When I decide to pull the trigger I plan to take it to a shop to get a pro to
install is and tune it.

The problem is I don't know of anybody with a good rep that does any of that where I live. I live near the Palm Springs are CA. I'm about a 2 and half hour drive from LA and 3 hours from San Diego. Does anyone know a performance shop anywhere near me?

I don't mind making the drive. I just want my car being worked on by someone with experience.

I know its a lot of Questions but it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Go to CMS in Murrieta. Call them and ask Ryne about your needs. A very reputable shop and a forum member.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #6
chavabd87

Drives: Silver Camaro
I just seen everyone's reply, thanks guys it has helped.. Murrieta is a close drive from where I live. I'm gonn check them out..
chavabd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:38 AM   #7
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
I went with edelbrock. I liked the stock look and the low end torque power advantage they give.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:34 AM   #8
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
I also have a 2010 SS supercharged. You will need to upgrade the injectors and fuel pump (ZL1 pump is good enough).
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:32 PM   #9
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
KenneBell is in Oxnard, California up by Ventura. You could get a install by the actual manufacturer.

So is edelbrock, you Californians got it lucky
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #10
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1SS1LE View Post
KenneBell is in Oxnard, California up by Ventura. You could get a install by the actual manufacturer.

So is edelbrock, you Californians got it lucky
Some people would argue that.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #11
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
We are located in Orange County.

Magnuson, Whipple and Edelbrock are all CARB approved.

PM or Give me a call directly.

Thanks

JT
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote