Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #281
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Z06 Corvette starts at $75K

Would they base price a Z/28 less? because "Camaro" and less overall platform cost at this point in time...
...or more because it is actually more technically advanced is some areas.
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #282
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Well, for the 2014 model year lineup, will the Corvette's even have a Z06 yet?

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #283
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
There are too many unknown variables... like how much more does a low piece count wiring harness vs. a production high piece count production harness. Same with the glass... same with the A/C option labor... same with the exotic brakes/rubber/strut/shock/wheel/tire.

When GM orders 100,000 items, it's cheaper than ordering 5,000. There will be additional labor involved in the build sequence.

Too many variables to nail it down.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #284
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Scooter, correct. Maybe 2013 Z06 irrelevant

Twisty...likely correct also. Notice how a production Camaro grille is less than $100, but the Heritage grille is over $200 for a simple piece of plastic that should be the same.

GFX side skirts sky high, ZL-1 cheap GFX front splitter $900 but you can buy the whole ZL-1 front end for that
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #285

Drives: Cadillac on four flats
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter
Wait, so, you're saying my estimate was not based in reality, and yet you came up with the same MSRP as me?
Were did I say your estimates were not based in reality? I did not quote you - I was quoting another guy that mentioned something you left out. The reality part was geared towards the people that were guessing below 50K. You guessed high 50's - which was my guess from the jump.
Loading..... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #286
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I think you're right. Considering how much overlap there already is in the pricing of the Corvettes and Camaros, I'm guessing that should actually be $54,995.

Or do you think less?
54,XXX was and still is my "guess" for the base stingray. Only time will tell on that one.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #287
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

How much do you think the ZL1 tires and wheels cost? Or do you honestly believe the Z/28 wheels and tires cost $3,000 more than the current ZL1 wheels and tires?
Well from what I have seen online the ZL1 OEM tires would cost 1434 (TireRack) to replace all 4. The Z/28 tires 2720 (from what I have seen here on C5) for all 4, so theres 1300 right there in rubber.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #288
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
There are too many unknown variables... like how much more does a low piece count wiring harness vs. a production high piece count production harness. Same with the glass... same with the A/C option labor... same with the exotic brakes/rubber/strut/shock/wheel/tire.

When GM orders 100,000 items, it's cheaper than ordering 5,000. There will be additional labor involved in the build sequence.

Too many variables to nail it down.
And this makes sense too. Economies of scale are always interesting to try and guess at when it comes to automobiles because there are so many variables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
Scooter, correct. Maybe 2013 Z06 irrelevant

Twisty...likely correct also. Notice how a production Camaro grille is less than $100, but the Heritage grille is over $200 for a simple piece of plastic that should be the same.

GFX side skirts sky high, ZL-1 cheap GFX front splitter $900 but you can buy the whole ZL-1 front end for that
While the cost to consumer to buy the part from GM is inflated, I doubt the prices you see on our end are anywhere near what the manufacturer gets them for

So, while they may charge double for a heritage or ZL1 grille than they do for a "regular" SS grille, do you really think the production cost has as large of a variance?

Maybe they just price it that way to dissuade people from buying an SS and then "upgrading" to a ZL1 by buying all the parts separate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loading..... View Post
Were did I say your estimates were not based in reality? I did not quote you - I was quoting another guy that mentioned something you left out. The reality part was geared towards the people that were guessing below 50K. You guessed high 50's - which was my guess from the jump.
Haha, gotcha. I was confused, forgive me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
54,XXX was and still is my "guess" for the base stingray. Only time will tell on that one.
And in keeping with the current generation, that number does make sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Well from what I have seen online the ZL1 OEM tires would cost 1434 (TireRack) to replace all 4. The Z/28 tires 2720 (from what I have seen here on C5) for all 4, so theres 1300 right there in rubber.
When I first got my Camaro in 2009, the tires were impossible to find. So, everywhere was selling the fronts for about $400 each and the rears for about $520 each.

If you look right now, you can get them for almost exactly half that.

I haven't done much research, but do you think those prices on tirerack could be a little inflated just because there's not many cars out there using those Pirelli PZero Trofeo R 305/30ZR19 tires yet?

I have absolutely no idea if that's relevant or not, but I'm just throwing it out there.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #289
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Base starts at $59, 995

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #290
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
When I first got my Camaro in 2009, the tires were impossible to find. So, everywhere was selling the fronts for about $400 each and the rears for about $520 each.

If you look right now, you can get them for almost exactly half that.

I haven't done much research, but do you think those prices on tirerack could be a little inflated just because there's not many cars out there using those Pirelli PZero Trofeo R 305/30ZR19 tires yet?

I have absolutely no idea if that's relevant or not, but I'm just throwing it out there.
could be, could not be lol. I have no clue. All I know is that the Z/28 has just about every performance goodie possible and will own the race track, but got to pay to play and I think its going to be a very expensive car.

I have seen people guessing in the high 40s or low 50s bc they just add in the LS7 and think stripping it of an interior and its gonna be a steal. It won't be, GM went balls to the wall with this car and you got to pay to play, I mean hell the engine and brakes in this thing are worth more then my whole damn car haha. I can't wait to see the Z/28 tear up the track, but its gonna be pricey im sticking with my guess of 60 on the low end and most likely probably 65 is a more realisitic guess for me.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #291
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
could be, could not be lol. I have no clue. All I know is that the Z/28 has just about every performance goodie possible and will own the race track, but got to pay to play and I think its going to be a very expensive car.

I have seen people guessing in the high 40s or low 50s bc they just add in the LS7 and think stripping it of an interior and its gonna be a steal. It won't be, GM went balls to the wall with this car and you got to pay to play, I mean hell the engine and brakes in this thing are worth more then my whole damn car haha. I can't wait to see the Z/28 tear up the track, but its gonna be pricey im sticking with my guess of 60 on the low end and most likely probably 65 is a more realisitic guess for me.
I agree, 65k is where I'm at. That LS7 and fancy Carbon brakes are big $$$$.
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #292
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Chevy Tahoe
I do feel Chevy dropped the ball with this one. What some of you guys are advicating is paying Corvette and probably Porche prices after dealer markups for a stripped down Camaro. Thats only intent is to be track driven. Solely based on some badges.
Rikki Tikki Tavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #293
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
So you saying there aren't people like that?

I lived through the 80's check my sig. I know what you are talking about. I would like to have a Z28 too, but this Z/28 is a serious car and my feeling is the intention for GM to create these cars are for people who have racing experience and to get them out and race them and conquer the tracks with them like in the beginning. This will create demand, because any of us that have that racing gene in us are going to lust after that car if it kicks butt on the circuit. I'm sure over the course of the year, we might hear the how and why GM is coming out with this halo car for a reason. My feeling is GM has something up it's sleeve in regard's to the Z/28 and we'll have to bide our time until the information gets out.

In the meantime, we'll have to wait to see if we can have some form of a Z28 in the near future.
I'm sure they're are ppl like that, but for us 80s babies that's all we know, lol. But the Z/28 is exciting for the brand nonetheless. Looking forward to seeing it rip and run on the track if I ever am lucky enough to see one in the first place. I also think GM has something up their sleeves that we don't quite know yet. I'm along for the ride...
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #294
sho928

Drives: Porsche 928 S4, Mustang GT vert
My guess 64 to 69K base price, and worth it based on parts list and package development and durability verification.

Wonder if it will also have a 100,000 mile drive train warranty?

That would be cool to be covered for a 100,000 track miles.

However based on a typical race track 70 to 80% engine duty cycle expect 5-mpg.

For a 100,000 miles that would be 20,000 gal of 93 octane @ $ 4.00/gal = $ 80,000 dollars.

Does the price of the Z28 really matter when taken in context of being used as a track warrior?
sho928 is offline   Reply With Quote