Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 12-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
MrCool

Drives: '95 Z28
Temperature Gauge and Amp Wire

So lately, I've been trying to fix my temperature gauge. I've determined that my car (1987 2.8 L RS) has two temperature sensors located under the intake and above the water pump: One with a black connector towards the passenger side that sends a temp reading to the computer and a second one towards the driver side with a green connector that sends a reading to the gauge. The way I've determined this is shorting out the connector that goes to the computer (I thought it was the one that went to the gauge). What resulted is the radiator fan didn't turn on until I reset the computer (disconnecting negative on battery). Question: What is the name of the sensor that goes to the gauge? Most auto-parts stores I've been to don't know the name let alone carry the part. Anyone have a picture of theirs?

Second question: Where did you guys run the positive wire for an amplifier? (Since the battery is on the passenger side). I've heard that some people ran it though the same the computer wires run through, but I think that would be dangerous if something goes wrong with the amp wire.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
I have the same engine in my fiero. The name of the sensor is the coolant temperature sensor. If the guy behind the computer has any clue he will ask which one instead of just going off the first on the list. There are actually 3 temp sensors. 1 for the gauge, 1 for the fan(computer) and 1 for the cold start injector. The sensor for the gauge will be 1 wire. The others will be 2 wire. If you ground the 1 wire it should sweep the gauge. Do not go to autozone for your auto parts. If thats where you are going thats your main problem. I will never go to autozone for anything. If advance or parts plus cant get it ill walk til they can get it in. The amp wire will be fine there as long as its fused correctly. Dont run the RCA wires near power wires though.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
MrCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
I have the same engine in my fiero. The name of the sensor is the coolant temperature sensor. If the guy behind the computer has any clue he will ask which one instead of just going off the first on the list. There are actually 3 temp sensors. 1 for the gauge, 1 for the fan(computer) and 1 for the cold start injector. The sensor for the gauge will be 1 wire. The others will be 2 wire. If you ground the 1 wire it should sweep the gauge. Do not go to autozone for your auto parts. If thats where you are going thats your main problem. I will never go to autozone for anything. If advance or parts plus cant get it ill walk til they can get it in. The amp wire will be fine there as long as its fused correctly. Dont run the RCA wires near power wires though.
Thanks for the reply:

The connector on my car has two wires, both sensors have two. I tried shorting the two wires for the connector that goes to the temp gauge and nothing happened on the gauge, no sweeping or anything. I'm thinking it is because they have to be grounded like you said and not shorted? I have pictures of this connector.

Also, dad brought home a temp. sensor that has the same connector but the threads are not matching and are not the right diameter (for another car). I thought I would do a test before I returned it: I connected it anyway and stuck it near the bracket for the compressor (near the valve cover) and drove the car around. The gauge moved a hair, but it is a pretty cold day today so it's hard to tell. Plus it wasn't exactly touching and I don't think It got over 100*.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
MrCool

Here's what I've found: the two sensors I was talking about in the original post is the cold start (like turboguy327 said) and the temp. sensor.

So, on a V8 the temp sender would be on the cylinder head and would be a green wire. My engine is a V6, so in it's place is a oil temp sender. Anyone know where the temp sender is going to be on a V6?
Old 12-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/109361.html

Check out that link and check out the picture posted by fierosound. Thats should help you. Its a 2.8 intake manifold. As far as I know a fiero 2.8 and a camaro 2.8 are the same engine besides the upper intake faces the wrong way.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
MrCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/109361.html

Check out that link and check out the picture posted by fierosound. Thats should help you. Its a 2.8 intake manifold. As far as I know a fiero 2.8 and a camaro 2.8 are the same engine besides the upper intake faces the wrong way.
FOUND IT! Thank you!

I grounded the wire to the negative terminal on the battery and the gauge didn't sweep. :(

Last edited by MrCool; 01-06-2011 at 07:34 PM.
MrCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
MrCool

So I'm trying to take my gauge cluster out of the dash so I can test the temp gauge itself to see if it is bad or maby so I can find a bad connection behind it. I've taken off the 8 screws and the bottom two nuts to take out the cluster and I've loosened the bracket that holds the steering column in order to make it easier to take out. But it seems that the speedometer cable is short and I'm trying to figure out how to unplug it. I can't get my hand behind the gauges to take it off.

Help/Suggestions?

EDIT: So I finally got out the gauge clusters. Now I just need to test the temp gauge. I was also thinking of doing this:

How to Install LED's Into your Dash

Last edited by MrCool; 01-06-2011 at 07:33 PM.
MrCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
MrCool

I tested the connection between the Temp Gauge pin behind the gauge cluster and the connector for the Temperature Sender and the connection was fine.

Any ideas where I can go from here? When I turn on the ignition, the temp gauge immediately goes down to Cold and it stays there until I turn off the car. Then it will float to about half way.

I'm going to try to fix this before it gets hot.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
MrCool

So, when I took off the Gauge Cluster, I replaced all the light bulb's with LED's. But some of them flicker on and off. I think that some of them might be short circuiting, because now my High-Beams do not turn on. When I switch them on the headlights turn off and I hear a buzzing noise from inside the dash. O_O