Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Fragnarok
Gavin

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Inferno Orange
Recommend a washer fluid?

Can anyone recommend a good windshield washer fluid? I'm tired of cleaning my car then getting streaks on the windshield.
Fragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
You can use ONR mix with water. Works great and use for your waterless washing also.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragnarok View Post
Can anyone recommend a good windshield washer fluid? I'm tired of cleaning my car then getting streaks on the windshield.
Most windshield washer fluids contain alcohol which (while cleaning the window perfectly) can remove your wax as they mist over the paint.

Angelo's idea of mixing ONR is great because it provides a high level of lubrication to the surface (this is the same product that is used to rinseless wash paint with out scratching the surface) so it really cuts down on the chance of you getting scratches in your windshield. You know the the scratches, the wiper blade marks that end up making seeing at night very difficult.

Another option is 1Z Einszett Windshield Fluid. It quickly (and powerfully) cleans windshields with out damaging your paint finish.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Fragnarok
Gavin

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Inferno Orange
Both good ideas, thanks. Any idea about what the ONR/water mix ratio should be?
Fragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Indy Bumble Bee

Drives: Beest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
Most windshield washer fluids contain alcohol which (while cleaning the window perfectly) can remove your wax as they mist over the paint.

Angelo's idea of mixing ONR is great because it provides a high level of lubrication to the surface (this is the same product that is used to rinseless wash paint with out scratching the surface) so it really cuts down on the chance of you getting scratches in your windshield. You know the the scratches, the wiper blade marks that end up making seeing at night very difficult.

Another option is 1Z Einszett Windshield Fluid. It quickly (and powerfully) cleans windshields with out damaging your paint finish.
The things you can learn on this site are amazing
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Something not mentioned and that you should definitely keep in mind that if you live in a climate where there is any odds of freezing, even just overnight you have to use a wiper fluid that contains alcohol to prevent it from becoming a block of ice and potentially cracking your washer fluid tank.

While cutting down on the outside chance of glass scratches and potential wax stripping is all good... its not worth potentially ruining your washer fluid system if it freezes.

If you don't have any concern of freezing them don't sweat it!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Something not mentioned and that you should definitely keep in mind that if you live in a climate where there is any odds of freezing, even just overnight you have to use a wiper fluid that contains alcohol to prevent it from becoming a block of ice and potentially cracking your washer fluid tank.

While cutting down on the outside chance of glass scratches and potential wax stripping is all good... its not worth potentially ruining your washer fluid system if it freezes.

That's what I was thinking too..
Old 04-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
One can always change out to one that works in the winter. Here is a ONR wash in action from my friend Mike:

http://youtu.be/x4VXPcNOojY

BTW I use about 3oz to 1 gallon of water from a CR SPOTLESS De-ionized.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:

1Z also makes an excellent Anti Freeze Window Cleaner that is also alcohol free!

Me personally, I despise the thought of using an alcohol based cleaner in my windshield wiper reservoir. If the alcohol lands on dirty paint (while removing the wax) the fast flash of the solvent is going to create mineral rings that can quickly etch paint (makes water spots look like child's play).
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #10
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
I just never use mine... I hate the mess they make (regardless of impact on paint)

The last time I used my washer fluid with any regularity was when I flipped the nozzle backwards on the rear wiper of my TBSS so I could spray the car behind me, definitely kept people from tailgating and was good for a laugh.

Last edited by Adam's Polishes; 04-20-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #11
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
Quote:
I just never use mine... I hate the mess they make (regardless of impact on paint)

The last time I used my washer fluid with any regularity was when I flipped the nozzle backwards on the rear wiper of my TBSS so I could spray the car behind me, definitely kept people from tailgating and was good for a laugh.
Ok that is awesome!
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #12
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
The reservoir bottle for the 68 never made it into the engine compartment. The only time she comes out of the garage is when it's +70 degrees outside. 2010, only comes out when it's dry. Yeah, I know garage queens!

Seriously though, living in Wisconsin I couldn't imagine putting anything without some sort of anti-freeze in. It's consistently below 32 from about November till March in these parts (this year being the exception) and most folks simply can't care about what their paint looks like because it's not really an option.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #13
Mrvnmartian

Drives: 2010 SGM 1LT (Manual)
I use the Rain-ex washer fluid. The color is green, I have used this product in my Dakota for over 10 years I really like how the water beads while I'm driving in the rain. For the colder climates they have an orange color fluid, but now that I live in Alabama I just get the green colored fluid.
Mods: Flowmaster, Solar Gard Window Tint, Front Bowtie from Gary's Customs, Green LED dome & trunk lights from AAC, Painted calipers used G2 paint, Emblem Pro underhood bowtie, Stealth Bulb turn signals.
Mrvnmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #14
StoopDude

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:

hahaha thats AWESOME!!!

Twitter: Stoopdude12
Xbox Live: StoopDude
PSN: StoopDude
StoopDude is offline   Reply With Quote