Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Aieaboy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 IBM 1LT RS
Power Window Problem

It's been raining for about 5 days and my Camaro is under cover at home, but at work it was exposed to the rain for a week. Today was the first day of no rain and I rolled both windows down. The passenger side window would not go back up from both the driver control and passenger window controls. The driver side didn't work either but after a couple of clicks it went back up. I had to turn the car off wait awhile, restart and the window went up. Car only has 4K mileage. It works fine now. I guess my questions are:

1- Anybody else experience this?

2- Was it due to the rain/moisture? (It rained like Seattle rain for 5 days)

2-Should I take it in, as it's covered under the warranty?

Thanks in advance!
Aieaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
You could take it in to have it checked! But if they can't duplicate tue problem then it was a worthless trip! I would give it a while longer to see if it happens again! Could just been a freak thing Tha happened!
Old 02-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
Camaro4Life2011

Drives: Black Camaro 2LT RS with Sunroof
happened to me once with only a couple thousand miles on it and it freaked me out. Never happened again since. I dont think we need to worry, hopefully haha.

[x] Perma-grin
[x]1000 Watt Dual 12'' Subs (******** Harness)
[x]Blacked out Bow-ties
[x]AACStyle Blue Footwell Lights.
[x]AACStyle Blue LED Dome Light.
[x]AACStyle Blue LED Trunk Light
[x]Knight Rider 54 Blue LED
[X]Valentine 1 Hard Wire
[X]Valentine 1 Concealed Display
[ ]20 %Tinted Windows
[ ]LED Underglow
[ ]Rear Footwell Lights
[ ]ABL Extension
[ ]Camaro RS Projection
[ ]Painted Calipers
[ ]Glove Box Light
[ ]Door Handle Lights
[ ]Cold Air Inductions CAI
[ ]AACStyle Plasma DRL
[ ]AACStyle License Plate LEDS
Camaro4Life2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
Aieaboy
Account Suspended

No kidding.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro4Life2011 View Post
happened to me once with only a couple thousand miles on it and it freaked me out. Never happened again since. I dont think we need to worry, hopefully haha.

Freaked me out too. I drove 20 miles to a college basketball game and I was like, I ain't leaving my pride n joy in a parking lot with the window down. No F'n way.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Aieaboy
Account Suspended

Anybody else? Dealer said to bring it in.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
Markal
White Lightnin

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro LS
My driver side window has an intermittent problem. Sometimes it don't work, sometimes it does. When I took it in for the scheduled oil change I told the dealer about it and of course the window worked fine...until they drove it around to hand me the keys. They pulled it back in and re-checked it. They said the switch reported to the computer to be working correctly but the techs knew it wasn't. They ordered another switch, $8.00 covered under warranty and I'm waiting for a day off to take my Camaro in to get it replaced. Yeah, its still intermittent...for now. Maybe they got a bad batch of switches at the factory??? Who knows?
Markal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
My 2011 has a similar problem. It is not the index thing. The fast up/down does not work, and if you pull/push too far it says "door ajar". So you have to just barely move the switch for it to work properly. Switch assembly ordered for it.
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
I think the problem is the window indexing. In most cars, there is no intelligence built into the windows. They go up. They go down. Pretty simple and nothing usually gives problems. With the Camaro, the window has to be 'smart' enough to slightly open or close the window if the door is opened or closed. What probably happened in your case is the 'smarts' got phucked up for that moment which is why a recycling of the ignition reset the window system and solved the issue.

This happened to me once where the window switches didn't work. I restarted the car and all was good, and never failed since.

As for the auto up and down, I sometimes find an issue with sensitivity of the switch where it won't respond to auto up or down. It took me some getting used to. I mentioned to the service rep and he never heard of an issue with the switch sensitivity.

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Aieaboy and f5journal, have either you had the issue reoccur or have you had your vehicles into your dealerships for this service yet? I just want follow up with your two on the issues you're having. Thank you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
Aieaboy
Account Suspended

Thankfully, haven't had the problem reoccur. I did call the dealer and they said to bring it in. They said they can check the computer to see if there was a power window trouble code that was tripped. Course they said if there's no trouble code, it would be near impossible to figure out. Rest assured, if it happens again, it's going in.

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.

Last edited by Aieaboy; 03-06-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
JRunner01

Drives: 2019 Camaro
Similar issues here. I only have about 1500 miles on it if that. I parked and shut the car off. The OCD in me pulls the switches a few times to ensure their all the way up. So inside you hear the click without any movement since they are all the way up. I get out and close the door and find that the drivers door did not fully seat up in the channel.

Get back in and try to cycle the key and then re close the door to see if it moves fully up in the channel... no go. So I then get back in the car and turn the key on to cycle the window up and down and now it won't go back up. Passenger side does the same thing... goes down but wont go back up. Then after enough playing with cycling the key, starting the car, cycling the key some more, waiting (which I think helped the most), the windows went back up and sealed in the track fine. During that time of trying everything to get them to go back up, I experienced where one window worked and the other didn't, then they swapped. A real PIA.

Not sure what I am going to get when I go home today.

Hope it wasn't my OCD that broke something?

Last edited by JRunner01; 09-09-2011 at 11:19 AM.
JRunner01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Happened to me once. Window wouldn't go up.
Its good to re-set your window indexing once in a while.

1)Window All the way down - Hold switch 3 seconds.
2)Window All the way up, - Hold switch 3 seconds.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #13
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
Happened to me once. Window wouldn't go up.
Its good to re-set your window indexing once in a while.

1)Window All the way down - Hold switch 3 seconds.
2)Window All the way up, - Hold switch 3 seconds.
this is the fix. takes less than a minute.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #14
JRunner01

Drives: 2019 Camaro
This is the fix assuming your not stuck to begin with. It seems more like a preventative measure than a fix. How do you implement this fix if your already in a bad state?