Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #1
Jchuba03

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS IBM
Yet another cracked windshield...

I've owned my car 8 months, and have had to replace replacement windshield FOUR times already. So I'm sitting here in the waiting room, waiting for them to replace my windshield again, and it had me thinking, is it possible that the Camaro is more prone to windshield cracks somehow? maybe the aggressive angle of the windshield? Also, maybe I'm doing something wrong? Like should you not let the air conditioning blow through the defroster vents or something?
Jchuba03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
you are having a freak occurance that's for sure and most people blow their ac on their face, do you have some sharp part of the window frame sticking out leaving the window able to impact it over bumps? Or are you driving to close to other cars still pitching road gravel from winter?
Old 05-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #3
Jchuba03

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS IBM
Well I do a lot of rush hour driving, so driving close to people unfortunately is just hard to avoid. I am pretty sure that it had to do with a combination of that, plus the winter ravaged roads up here in Michigan. Just wanted to see if there was maybe something else going good on. And yea, I blow the AC on my face haha, but sometimes my car when I turn it on, it's set to defrost from previous usage, and I don't usually notice it.
Jchuba03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
My old man used to tell me don't defrost immediately...hot air (warm air) + cold glass = crack. Gradually defrost as the car is warming up, I know sometimes its difficult timing wise but protect your ride! A rock chip is not your fault, but cracking across can be user error.

That and my old man used to tell me not to slam the car from R to D without stopping first. Never had an issue...my wife on the other hand, lol.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
It's the roads in Michigan, they suck along with the 80mph traffic jams.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
...and stay back about 10 car lengths from any pickup or semi.

Especially dump or gravel trucks.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
...and stay back about 10 car lengths from any pickup or semi.

Especially dump or gravel trucks.
You're supposed to stay back at least 10 anyway, so the driver can see you.

Sent from somewhere on the road.

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I just had my second crack in four years, and I'm waiting over the long weekend so that I get a Pilkington replacement.

Both cracks were stone strikes, and both near the edge. Strikes near the middle seem to bounce off without causing cracks, but the ones near the edge are deadly.

The guy who did the first replacement says that one a year is normal if you commute on the interstate in heavy traffic.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
LionMaro

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice 1SS Camaro
I think its definitely something to do with the low stature of the car or something. Also being from Michigan, I hadn't had a single crack or ding in my windshield before driving a Camaro. Now ive had my windshield replaced twice and have a chip in this one, its pretty crazy.
LionMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionMaro View Post
I think its definitely something to do with the low stature of the car or something. Also being from Michigan, I hadn't had a single crack or ding in my windshield before driving a Camaro. Now ive had my windshield replaced twice and have a chip in this one, its pretty crazy.
It's the angle of the dangle. It's a problem in these cars. I've had to replace mine 3 times so far.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #11
BlueStreakHouTX

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Wow, after I read this thread yesterday I paid more attention to the condition of windshields of other Camaros while driving; think I saw about 10 Camaros, and about half were visibly cracked. I dont know if its a Camaro thing, or a Houston thing, or both.
BlueStreakHouTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Lucky for me my winter commute in Ottawa is slow speed on city streets as gravel is a major problem. Past experience with windshield cracks have been in cold weather. Back in 1971 had a 1970 Nova 396 SS that had an extremely small windshield rock chip for months. Was in DC for X-mas & parked overnight on a city street. Rained that day so car was wet and during the night a hard freeze with wind chill. In the morning turned on defrost to let the car warm up, pop & windshield cracked. Similar experience happened with my 1996 Sebring LXI coupe about 8 years ago. Had nothing more than a very tiny chip in the windshield for years that was not noticeable unless the light hit just right. During a Dec. road trip south I stopped in Richmond VA for a few days, above freezing. Rain when I headed south in the morning. Entered NC and temp dropped fast and an ice storm on I-95. Pop...windshield broke side to side as I was driving no more than 20 mph due to bad road condition. I had heater set high defrost as ice was forming on the windshield even with wipers turned on. Crack so bad I had to stop in Charlotte and get windshield replaced. Last story, about 1977, driving my 1976 Eldo convertible to Virginia Beach and temp was extremely low, about 15 F, lower still with strong wind chill. Had been driving from Richmond for about 2 hours with heater on high. Turned into a condo beachfront parking lot with passenger side facing the ocean, hit by wind coming from ocean, passenger side window exploded.

From my experience, fast extreme temp difference between interior and exterior auto glass could result in breakage especially if there is even the smallest flaw in the glass. Thank goodness comprehensive insurance covers auto glass at a lower deductible then collision.

Last edited by abaucom21; 05-24-2014 at 09:28 AM.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #13
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
From top to bottom, our cars dislike cold weather.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #14
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
I've replaced one in my 2010 SS. The origin of the crack was below the hood very base of glass. Safelite told me to take it to the dealer as my car was still under warranty. Dealer said no windshield and GM backed them. I'm still convinced it wasn't a rock/stone as the origin was at the very base of the windshield below the hood. I drove it 2 years after that without issue.