Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 03-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
4rmMopar2MaroSS

Drives: Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Lightbulb 2010 Camaro 2SS VS Dodge Challenger SRT-8

This is my comparison of the these two amazing cars.... This is all my opinion with many facts tangled in...I will explain why I had the camaro SS for two months and traded it in for the 2010 Challenger SRT-8 in B5 Blue.

Initially when I got in the market to buy a car... I wanted a challenger SRT-8. Just like many other consumers, I tried to grow my attraction to the Camaro because it was more affordable, more economical, and a beast of a car within itself... I purchased this car new on January 3, 2011 and I was...SEMI-Happy. I haggled my way to a great deal on the car, $29,800, it was Inferno Organge Metallic, Orange seats, every single option except sunroof and I opted for the L99 (automatic) engine (I don't like to work and drive at the same time MANUAL ) After a couple weeks things started driving me nuts about this car.. The limited visibility, the backseat if you want to call it that, the quiet exhaust, the wind noise like my window was cracked, the single disc CD player, and overall I just wasnt pleased...I wanted to be blown away. SOOOOOOO, I started the search for a 2010 Challenger SRT-8. I found one at a local dealership, got the financing secured and now I'm happy as can be! I lovvvvveeeddddd my camaro, but we all know there's a difference when you love a girl and you're in love with her... and this girl...(2010 Challenger SRT8) I'm in love with her. These are the reasons that I chose the Challenger opposed to the Camaro.

2010 Camaro 2SS Specs

L99 engine 400 HP (automatic)
NO disc changer
NO navigation (but onstar)
Pitiful back seat (yes I know its not a sedan)
Awesome color (IOM)
Ipod
USB
Chevrolet service
On star
Digital Gauges
Bluetooth
Limited Storage (glove box, console, side pockets)
Low stance
Limited Headroom (6foot tall)
Rough Ride
Brembo Brakes

and these are the 2010 Challenger SRT-8 specs that won me over
425 HP HEMI engine
NO disc changer but 32 GIG Hard Drive to save CDS, pics, and media
Navigation!
Spacious back seat (almost as big as my Dodge Charger R/T)
Another AWESOME COLOR
Ipod
USB
...Dodge Service:(
NO onstar
Retro Gauges
Bluetooth/ Uconnect
Lots of Storage compartments
Tall Stance! (No bending down to get in and at least a foot of head room)
Ride is almost equivalent to a luxury car!
Brembo Brakes

Things that you probably are thinking....yes it's a bigger car, yes it weighs more, yes it's a couple .10's of a second slower in the 0-60 test, yes the clusters aren't as RETRO, yes it's more expensive, yes the EPA is a little worst (22MPG Highway) and yes it's a Dodge........

....IF all of that wasn't enough, the Challenger SRT8 a BEAST! The only thing in the same price range in my opinion that's better is the 2011 Challenger SRT8 which is equipped with the new HEMI of 475 HP

Overall both cars are awesome! Just make your choice wisely...There's a reason why the Challenger SRT8 is more expensive. I paid 29k for my brand new Camaro 2SS L99 and I paid 35k for my used 2010 Challenger SRT8 with 9k miles on it...IN MY OPINION, BEST DEAL AND DECISION I COULD OF EVER MADE!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rmMopar2MaroSS View Post
This is my comparison of the these two amazing cars.... This is all my opinion with many facts tangled in...I will explain why I had the camaro SS for two months and traded it in for the 2010 Challenger SRT-8 in B5 Blue.

Initially when I got in the market to buy a car... I wanted a challenger SRT-8. Just like many other consumers, I tried to grow my attraction to the Camaro because it was more affordable, more economical, and a beast of a car within itself... I purchased this car new on January 3, 2011 and I was...SEMI-Happy. I haggled my way to a great deal on the car, $29,800, it was Inferno Organge Metallic, Orange seats, every single option except sunroof and I opted for the L99 (automatic) engine (I don't like to work and drive at the same time MANUAL ) After a couple weeks things started driving me nuts about this car.. The limited visibility, the backseat if you want to call it that, the quiet exhaust, the wind noise like my window was cracked, the single disc CD player, and overall I just wasnt pleased...I wanted to be blown away. SOOOOOOO, I started the search for a 2010 Challenger SRT-8. I found one at a local dealership, got the financing secured and now I'm happy as can be! I lovvvvveeeddddd my camaro, but we all know there's a difference when you love a girl and you're in love with her... and this girl...(2010 Challenger SRT8) I'm in love with her. These are the reasons that I chose the Challenger opposed to the Camaro.

2010 Camaro 2SS Specs

L99 engine 400 HP (automatic)
NO disc changer
NO navigation (but onstar)
Pitiful back seat (yes I know its not a sedan)
Awesome color (IOM)
Ipod
USB
Chevrolet service
On star
Digital Gauges
Bluetooth
Limited Storage (glove box, console, side pockets)
Low stance
Limited Headroom (6foot tall)
Rough Ride
Brembo Brakes

and these are the 2010 Challenger SRT-8 specs that won me over
425 HP HEMI engine
NO disc changer but 32 GIG Hard Drive to save CDS, pics, and media
Navigation!
Spacious back seat (almost as big as my Dodge Charger R/T)
Another AWESOME COLOR
Ipod
USB
...Dodge Service:(
NO onstar
Retro Gauges
Bluetooth/ Uconnect
Lots of Storage compartments
Tall Stance! (No bending down to get in and at least a foot of head room)
Ride is almost equivalent to a luxury car!
Brembo Brakes

Things that you probably are thinking....yes it's a bigger car, yes it weighs more, yes it's a couple .10's of a second slower in the 0-60 test, yes the clusters aren't as RETRO, yes it's more expensive, yes the EPA is a little worst (22MPG Highway) and yes it's a Dodge........

....IF all of that wasn't enough, the Challenger SRT8 a BEAST! The only thing in the same price range in my opinion that's better is the 2011 Challenger SRT8 which is equipped with the new HEMI of 475 HP

Overall both cars are awesome! Just make your choice wisely...There's a reason why the Challenger SRT8 is more expensive. I paid 29k for my brand new Camaro 2SS L99 and I paid 35k for my used 2010 Challenger SRT8 with 9k miles on it...IN MY OPINION, BEST DEAL AND DECISION I COULD OF EVER MADE!!!!!!!!!!

CYA!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Sin

Drives: DEAD
Thanks for sharing.

Bye.
Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
4rmMopar2MaroSS

HAHA. Classic! Thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
lewylew

Drives: 2010 ZL550& 2021 C8 Z51
Well if you know anybody else that feels the same as you. Let me know I am selling my 2008 SRT8 Challenger #5440 of 6400. Love the car just "in love" with my Camaro.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
SoTHavok

Drives: 1
30K for a 2SSRS L99?? dam it has gone dont 7k already

Thats def not a best deal economically you could of gotten alot more out of a camaro for
6000$!!!

I dont want to bash but that money could of gotten you everything you listed, besides maybe more visibility

Haha im 6'2 and i only have problems when i got my mohawk going on aha, hope you know the seat can go up/down inches
SoTHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
The Challengers are nice...but I don't really see the point personally...

Performance - the Chally loses what advantage it has in HP by how much it weighs

Size - the Camaro was designed to be a modern version of the 69, the Chally was a direct copy on a new frame/motor

Interior - Everything in the Challenger is/was available in about 3-4 vehicles in the Dodge lineup (Magnum, Charger, 300, and of course the Ram) Sure there are some minor differences in the Ram, but in the LX cars, it's all identical.

Chassis - modified/shortened LX frame (LY platform) - still weighs a ton

Motor - Probably one of the better HP motors in a long time, but the fuel economy is crap

Ultimately, if your happy, I wish you the very best of luck with it....Still, other than the viewing area of the Camaro, I think you actually took the back end of the deal...and you would have been better off finding an SRT-8 Jeep, as it is faster than the Chally/Camaro and still offer somewhat similar mileage...

I like the Challenger and I've driven both the R/T and SRT-8 in 2009 and 2010 models... I wouldn't buy one, but to each their own

You can check out challengertalk, lxforums, and dodgechallenger.com
Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
I could understand the newer one with 475 HP but the 2010?

And no most consumers didnt try to "grow" their attraction to the Camaro. If anything we scratched our heads wondering why the Challenger costs so much more, and it still doesnt make sense.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
4rmMopar2MaroSS

Let's just say Haggling and research helps...always buy a car before the model yr ends or when it begins....(late Dec or Early Jan) that's when the dealerships are completely motivated to do any deal to get rid of the previous year (2010's) to make room for the new year (2011's ) it's worked everytime!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #10
4rmMopar2MaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
The Challengers are nice...but I don't really see the point personally...

Performance - the Chally loses what advantage it has in HP by how much it weighs

Size - the Camaro was designed to be a modern version of the 69, the Chally was a direct copy on a new frame/motor

Interior - Everything in the Challenger is/was available in about 3-4 vehicles in the Dodge lineup (Magnum, Charger, 300, and of course the Ram) Sure there are some minor differences in the Ram, but in the LX cars, it's all identical.

Chassis - modified/shortened LX frame (LY platform) - still weighs a ton

Motor - Probably one of the better HP motors in a long time, but the fuel economy is crap

Ultimately, if your happy, I wish you the very best of luck with it....Still, other than the viewing area of the Camaro, I think you actually took the back end of the deal...and you would have been better off finding an SRT-8 Jeep, as it is faster than the Chally/Camaro and still offer somewhat similar mileage...

I like the Challenger and I've driven both the R/T and SRT-8 in 2009 and 2010 models... I wouldn't buy one, but to each their own

You can check out challengertalk, lxforums, and dodgechallenger.com
I understand the weight difference...but....Mine will never be on a drag strip. The fuel economy of the Chally is 22MPG on the auto, the MPG of the Camaro is 25MPG (highway on both) ...i didn't buy either for fuel economy. The SRT-8 back seat doesn't fit a grown man... you have to sit sideways. It's not faster...just quicker due to the different ratios..it's the quickest SRT8 and the gas mileage is the worst at 18 MPG Highway. Like you said to each its own... Everyone has their motives...and I'm not disrespecting anyone's for buying a Camaro SS. This is just my view.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #11
Devon
Highway Man

Drives: '10 2SS/RS
So you traded great quality, service and reliability for...a Dodge?

Not a choice I would make, but if it makes you happy, I sincerely wish you all the best!
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #12
4rmMopar2MaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
I could understand the newer one with 475 HP but the 2010?

And no most consumers didnt try to "grow" their attraction to the Camaro. If anything we scratched our heads wondering why the Challenger costs so much more, and it still doesnt make sense.
In my opinion it's a better built car...The Engine has a proven track history of Amazing performance, especially after mods change the canned BEAST, and when you compare the amount of 2010 Camaro 2SS for sale to 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8 for sale...the Camaros are a dime a dozen. Again..everyone supports their decisions with their own reasoning. There couldn't be a less biased comparison than this...I'VE OWNED BOTH!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #13
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
It's not faster...just quicker due to the different ratios..it's the quickest SRT8 and the gas mileage is the worst at 18 MPG Highway. Like you said to each its own... Everyone has their motives...and I'm not disrespecting anyone's for buying a Camaro SS. This is just my view.

The SRT-8 Jeep is the fastest SRT badged vehicle not named Viper....and it's got a sub 5 second 0-60....and a 1/4 mile that even the Corvette would be proud of..
Old 03-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #14
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
In my opinion it's a better built car...The Engine has a proven track history of Amazing performance, especially after mods change the canned BEAST, and when you compare the amount of 2010 Camaro 2SS for sale to 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8 for sale...the Camaros are a dime a dozen. Again..everyone supports their decisions with their own reasoning. There couldn't be a less biased comparison than this...I'VE OWNED BOTH!
Again, going to disagree.... the Challenger has been out longer, and it wasn't a high demand model. The Camaro on the other hand is, and most of the used models are from people who traded up for the HUD unit built 2011's or wanted the Vert's when they came available.

The early model Challengers suffered the same fate, and many will again now that the 475 hp 6.4L powered Chally's are arriving...

I spent about 5 years as an admin and a mod for a few Dodge sites, and the Hemi while nice, is still peanuts compared to the LS series motors.....and no, it's not a true Hemi either....

Tags
2ss, challenger, hemi, mopar, srt8