Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #43
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Preaching to choir there Bear, I did alot of drag and street racing when I was much younger...I won't bore anyone about anecdotal knowledge or personal experience. I for one fully understand what favorable conditions can do for, or hinder a performance car from doing. My comments were directed about the time of year, weather conditions, and location of the "test". They should also test the car(s) under more optimal conditions which will give a fair balance between cold and warm operating, weather, and subsequent track conditions. The numbers will vary widely.
BINGO!!! I think it was more to sell magazines and ads than anything to run this test, because many of us will now spend more money with conditions are better for more representative testing. That's fine, and I'll spend the money, lol.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #44
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriSSio View Post
the ZL1 was driven by a professional driver that ran a good time with the boss as well. The boss run was typical of what you see out of private owners so its safe to say the ZL1 will probably run what it did in private owners hands. Private owners are already running similar times and same or faster MPH's (trap speeds) as the ZL1 with the 2010-2011 550hp GT500's
And your arguement is that we can't trust the M/T 11/12 GT500 times, but we can trust the 12 ZL1 M/T times? Just trying to understand the SVTPerformance gangs take on this.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #45
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
And your arguement is that we can't trust the M/T 11/12 GT500 times, but we can trust the 12 ZL1 M/T times? Just trying to understand the SVTPerformance gangs take on this.
You will not win this argument just give your first born to the Ford gods.
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #46
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
They should also test the car(s) under more optimal conditions which will give a fair balance between cold and warm operating, weather, and subsequent track conditions. The numbers will vary widely.
Yes, and when comparing vehicles, which should be done at the same venue at the same time under the same conditions, what's really significant are the relative numbers of the vehicles rather than the absolute numbers of each vehicle, as those absolute numbers will vary from venue to venue, from day to day, depending on conditions.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #47
MauriSSio
Banned

Drives: 1968 Ford Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
Yes, and when comparing vehicles, which should be done at the same venue at the same time under the same conditions, what's really significant are the relative numbers of the vehicles rather than the absolute numbers of each vehicle, as those absolute numbers will vary from venue to venue, from day to day, depending on conditions.
Exactly what I've been saying,The boss numbers provide a good gauge to judge the zl1s numbers.
MauriSSio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #48
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriSSio View Post
Exactly what I've been saying,The boss numbers provide a good gauge to judge the zl1s numbers.
So... two completely different cars, on two different tires, weighing totally different is somehow something we can extrapolate from? I'm not seeing something...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #49
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
BINGO!!! I think it was more to sell magazines and ads than anything to run this test, because many of us will now spend more money with conditions are better for more representative testing. That's fine, and I'll spend the money, lol.

I think the bottom line (who wins) won't change much. Times will improve however for ZL1, and I PREDICT WE WILL SEE SOME STOCK ZL1's getting in the 11's. Especially the AUTOMATICS (not to make it an argument). It is just "DESIGNED WITH A PURPOSE IN MIND".... and that always helps!

I do have one question that I'd like to have answered.

GM TOUTS and ENCOURAGES DRAG racing and ROAD Course RACING. In some of the same commercials/ads they TOUT the warranty.

? Will GM void warranty's on those who they see testing their car, say at CFEST3? Will actually using the car for the purpose for which it was designed, be HELD AGAINST the owner? (Like taking down plate numbers or registration entries for the contests we participate in at Cfest).
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #50
MauriSSio
Banned

Drives: 1968 Ford Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
So... two completely different cars, on two different tires, weighing totally different is somehow something we can extrapolate from? I'm not seeing something...
lets just clarify so that i understand what im responding to or if their is some misunderstanding. so the road racing results are valid and applicable to other tracks and okay to extrapolate but the 1/4 mile results arent??
the conditions were good and the boss 1/4 times show that he can at least run the quarter well enough, as well as typical drivers youd see on the net. why is it unsafe to say that the ZL1 times arent accurate? Im sure people will hit 11's and im sure people out there will see the boss numbers stay within 3 tenths or so of it as well. there will be people out there running a lil faster than these posted numbers in their ZL1's just as there are people out there running their Boss's faster (especially the boss trap speeds). (Being at elevation hurt the boss's power output more than the ZL1)
MauriSSio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #51
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
I think once the GT500 comes out and a test is done between the ZL1 and new Mustang we will see some better 1/4 mile and 0-60 times as the weather will be much warmer across the board and hopefully a track is chosen that has little to no wind. Still, for the $56k it's tough to find a car that will put up these type of performance #'s and that includes, vettes, M3's, and anything else relatively close to the MSRP of the ZL1.
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #52
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post
I think once the GT500 comes out and a test is done between the ZL1 and new Mustang we will see some better 1/4 mile and 0-60 times as the weather will be much warmer across the board and hopefully a track is chosen that has little to no wind. Still, for the $56k it's tough to find a car that will put up these type of performance #'s and that includes, vettes, M3's, and anything else relatively close to the MSRP of the ZL1.
And I think that's the main selling point.

Outstanding all-around performance for a Chevy price. It's the same idea they've got with the ZR1 Vette.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #53
Drake Heminger

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
And I think that's the main selling point.

Outstanding all-around performance for a Chevy price. It's the same idea they've got with the ZR1 Vette.
Dragoneye where the hell you been bro?!??! we miss you!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #54
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Oh....out and about. "Busy" doesn't even begin to cut it.

Hopefully I'll be back on regularly for a while...I was going through withdrawals..
Old 01-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #55
Drake Heminger

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Oh....out and about. "Busy" doesn't even begin to cut it.

Hopefully I'll be back on regularly for a while...I was going through withdrawals..
haha i feel ya brother... im going to PM you i have a few questions thanks bro!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #56
kannon

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS/M6
Picture 9 on this review shows the Performance Badge on the radiator cover. Are they bringing this back?

kannon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 camaro z1l review, 2012 camaro zl1, 2012 camaro zl1 reviews, 2012 zl1, 2013 camaro zl1, 2013 camaro zl1 review, 2013 camaro zl1 reviews, 2013 zl1, camaro zl1, camaro zl1 forum, camaro zl1 forums, camaro zl1 info, camaro zl1 review, camaro zl1 reviews, chevrolet camaro zl1, chevy camaro zl1, chevy camaro zl1 forum, chevy camaro zl1 info, zl1 camaro, zl1 forum, zl1 forums, zl1 info, zl1 review, zl1 reviews