Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #15
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkss View Post
How many lbs of boost?
18lbs
Old 06-20-2010, 11:26 PM   #16
dracer98
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Hugger Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax86 View Post
I'm not looking for a 900rwhp car just 600-700rwhp. Ive had the Procharger and i did like it but i didn't like the oil changes and the noise at idle.... and the turbo is sweet but i don't want to change my cam or have a real loud turbo whistle.... i have my 500hp/1000tq duramax for that! i really feel like i would like to give to TVS 2300 a try plus i don't want to throw away my money i spent on my intake.... my thoughts are if the technology is good enough for the cts-v and zr-1 i think it would be fine....

But is traction an issue with the TVS 2300 ??

Also, is it true that the TVS will get outperformed in the long haul with other blowers capable of pushing more boost?
Well you don't need a cam change for a turbo, But if your goal is a real 700rwhp you can't do better than the Maggie 2300 - it whines like a cat in heat but is dead quiet at idle. The turbo makes very little noise at WOT and is as stealth as it gets at idle. There is a video of the GMS TT kit. you really down here the turbo until they lift at the end of the run

Quick Video to show the kit in operation

dracer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:40 PM   #17
GenuineGM.com

Drives: 2010 CGM CamaroSS
I've built both of them and I sell them both. They both do well but I have to give the procharger the nod. That's what I chose to use on my personal Camaro.
GenuineGM.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #18
dmax86

Drives: 2016 Z06 C7R
they all sound awesome and i wish i could test drive each of them i just want a weekend warrior that has power everywhere anytime
Old 06-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #19
Mister HP

Drives: Speed Shop owner
how are you going to use the car? daily driver, street, drag? centrifugal and roots blowers are both excellent performers, but if you have a certain type of use in mind, one may be better than the other? feel free to PM if I can answer some questions,
Ed
Mister HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #20
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
i am putting money together to add a blower but i cant decide what to do!!? i have had a d1 in my silverado and i liked it alot... but with my setup im trying to figure out which way to go??? please help! thanks
This discussion is about Procharger D1 or Magnacharger, both Base Kits off the shelf.

There are a lot of choices and only YOU the consumer can make the call after researching and seeing what pair of shoes fits you best.

They have Different Power Bands and completely different looks, both of these kits are Silent.

The Magnacharger will support more HP and Room To grow, the D1 is done about 800 HP.

Call me if you want to discuss this at Length.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #21
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
they all sound awesome and i wish i could test drive each of them i just want a weekend warrior that has power everywhere anytime
"that has power everywhere anytime." You want the TVS. Not much other than a twinscrew will bring the power in as quick as a TVS. You'll need 8 to 10psi depending on how you set it up. Would you rather have your max boost at just above idle on up or wait for 6000 rpm before you see max boost?
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #22
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
I'm not looking for a 900rwhp car just 600-700rwhp. Ive had the Procharger and i did like it but i didn't like the oil changes and the noise at idle.... and the turbo is sweet but i don't want to change my cam or have a real loud turbo whistle.... i have my 500hp/1000tq duramax for that! i really feel like i would like to give to TVS 2300 a try plus i don't want to throw away my money i spent on my intake.... my thoughts are if the technology is good enough for the cts-v and zr-1 i think it would be fine....

Also, is it true that the TVS will get outperformed in the long haul with other blowers capable of pushing more boost?
I don't think you could go wrong with either. There are lots' of great numbers from each system. For the goals you are aiming for, I think it'll come down to maybe maintenance and looks. I have my own reasons for why I prefer one over the other, but performance-wise, I really don't think one is really superior over another, per se, under most circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andro View Post
Procharger has the helical gear set for P1 and D1 series blowers at idle you can't even hear the blower whine.
I don't mind some whine, but just the clatter is what gets to me a little. It sounds silly, but it just does.
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #23
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:

Traction is an issue with ANY FI system. for the power you are looking to make you can go with any FI setup.

It all depends on when and how you want to make power. Positive Vs Negative desplacement blowers make power differently that you can feel. Not to say one is bad or one is better. Just decide what you want.

As you said Torque is cool.

The Maggie is known for making better torque at lower RPM's... Hence why you think traction could be a problem.... but with a 600 - 700 HP build... you're gonna have that problem anyway....

Go with what works best for you and how you intend to drive it.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #24
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Pretty much what everyone said. Nowadays it's more about what you like to look at.

Here is what I ussually go for
M6 car ,pretty much stock -2300
M6 car,cammed,bolt-ons,hard driver -D1
A6 car,stock ect -2300
A6 car,stalled - D1

For DD cars for sane drivers I prefer the D1 because it just seams easier to drive normal.That and the gas mileage goes up pretty good.

Also,not the biggest fan of getting 8lbs of boost at 2k rpm.Seems like alot of stress on the crank/rod bearings and pistons. Alot of cars live a long healthy life but I've seen a good amount of failures throughout the years from aggressive drivers.

Now,for me. I plan on getting a A6 Camaro and pushing the 2300 at a minimum of 12lbs on the stock motor to see how it works.Want to goe mid to low 10's on a stock motor.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #25
dmax86

like i said i have a D1 in my single cab 5.3 but its a different world with a car now.... so i really want to try a positive displaced SC.. does anyone know whats the max boost the TVS can push and the max hp the stock internals can handle???

Thanks for the good info Slowhawk!

that makes me think D1 w/ helical gears!

Last edited by dmax86; 06-21-2010 at 09:20 PM.
dmax86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #26
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
like i said i have a D1 in my single cab 5.3 but its a different world with a car now.... so i really want to try a positive displaced SC.. does anyone know whats the max boost the TVS can push and the max hp the stock internals can handle???
You need to look at a hp number vs a boost number for what the TVS can do. Just one old redneck's opinion here, but I'd be comfortable with the TVS at 700 rwhp and under. No need for exotic blower drives and it's easily done. Yes, it can go higher, but not so easy.

As far as boost, again, it's a question of how hard you want to push it. Run fairly mild boost and you get your power without extra heat and belt slip. You can just add boost to a stock motor and be limited to mid 500's before you get into belt slip and high boost/high heat. Add a good intake, LT headers/good exhaust, and a mild blower cam.....and you can get to the 700 rwhp easily that the TVS is capable of.

As far as what hp the LS3 can handle....that's a crap shoot for sure. Do you feel lucky? I've been at 670+ for about a year. So far so good.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #27
dmax86

Slowhawk thanks for the good info!
Old 06-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #28
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Purely opinion - based on your responses to everyone I'd go with the TVS 2300. On a street car that is heavy like the Camaro you really feel the instant torque from idle on up everytime you pull away from a stop which is all the time. ProChargers are nice but have a progressive curve. They like RPM. It depends on your intended driving style. Do you shift earlier and drive in the lower RPM range or you do wind it up higher in the band ?

It's really just a matter of what YOU want. You can't go wrong with FI.

Tags
blower, forced induction, procharger, supercharger, tvs2300