Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Lamperouge

Drives: Future 2012 ZL1 Owner!
Is there a way to disable the power on my windows?

Is there a way to disable the power on my windows? I talked to my dealer recently because they had installed a 20% tint on my windows, but the inspection station is saying that I have a 18-19%% tint on my windows and I can't pass my inspection. My dealer had suggested quietly to disable my windows and put them down to pass it, but I don't even know where to start.

I've seen people driving around with total black windows, and mine can easily be seen through them. I have no idea how they pass their inspections.

Putting the windows down during the inspection and trying to find an excuse as to why they don't work seems a lot better than to retint my car.

Any ideas on how to do this, I would greatly appreciate it! I actually do not mind driving with no windows. I do it all the time anyway.
Lamperouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Hellrazor

Drives: 2018 white redline edition
Wouldn't non functioning windows fail the car as fast or faster than window tint? I would take it somewhere else before doing anything drastic. Odds are the next inspection place doesn't even worry about the tint.
Hellrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
fuse pull
Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
Lamperouge

Thanks! Thought it could be a fuse somewhere, but I can't find which fuses do what.

And the dealer said that non-functioning windows are fine in my state for inspections. It's not illegal
Old 04-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
I would find a new inspection station. May cost a few extra $s but usually worth it.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
Lamperouge

Thanks for the suggestion. The first one I went to was a small inspection shop that only accepted cash. The others are service shops that I have never been to.

I think it's fuse #26, not sure though. Curious as to whether or not they will ask me to make them work to complete the inspection.

His tool read 18 the first time then read 19 the second time, then he did it again and it read 18 again. 'Shrug'. Dealer says it's 20%

Hope the fuse trick works. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamperouge View Post
Is there a way to disable the power on my windows? I talked to my dealer recently because they had installed a 20% tint on my windows, but the inspection station is saying that I have a 18-19%% tint on my windows and I can't pass my inspection. My dealer had suggested quietly to disable my windows and put them down to pass it, but I don't even know where to start.

I've seen people driving around with total black windows, and mine can easily be seen through them. I have no idea how they pass their inspections.

Putting the windows down during the inspection and trying to find an excuse as to why they don't work seems a lot better than to retint my car.

Any ideas on how to do this, I would greatly appreciate it! I actually do not mind driving with no windows. I do it all the time anyway.

I would call the inspection station and ask what type of device they are using. Look up the information on that device as to what type of "stray light" can interefere with the device and what percentage the device could be off.

Take that in and call them out on it.

If you are truly at 18% to 19%. You are well within the ~1% to 2% that the meter is going to be off.

Also Ask them when the last time there device had been calibrated as well.

They should just get over themselves and pass you.
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamperouge View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. The first one I went to was a small inspection shop that only accepted cash. The others are service shops that I have never been to.

I think it's fuse #26, not sure though. Curious as to whether or not they will ask me to make them work to complete the inspection.

His tool read 18 the first time then read 19 the second time, then he did it again and it read 18 again. 'Shrug'. Dealer says it's 20%

Hope the fuse trick works. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I just looked it up in your manual.....YES, it is fuse #26, in the fuse box under the hood.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
Bring the car as is. Tell them your dealer said it was 20%. If it is not, bring it back to the dealer !! Let him correct his mistake
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
The windows come from the factory with 95%. Anytime you tint the windows you have to take this into account as it will lower the % then what you put on. This is why the inspection is reading 18-19%. This is normal when tint is applied over factory tinted windows.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote