Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 10-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
CHMuscleCamaro

Drives: Camaro ZL1 Jg. 2012, M6, black
best exhaust upgrade

hello

i'm from switzerland and i have a Modell 12 ZL1 with mild to wild system, but i drive to 99% with open flaps.

now i would like to get a little bit louder, on my ss i had solo high flow cats.

i prefer a upgrade with more power und a louder sound, but when i close the flaps i should not be too loud, because here in switzerland the cops are hard!!

so thank you for suggestions.

greets
CHMuscleCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
The stock exhaust is hard to beat. Buy headers if you want it louder.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
CHMuscleCamaro

hello

headers with cats or without?
how loud is that with closed flaps?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
WOW, cost to own and maintain a ZL1 must be expensive in Switzerland!

To answer your question I think the stock catback system is great. However I would upgrade the headers. I'm thinking about doing the same thing and leaning towards the PFADT Tri-Y Headers. IMO do not run cats if you do not have to.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
You're going to need the ADM wire harness to fully close your flaps. M2W will not do that.

I have a Corsa catback on my Z and it's not any louder than stock but once I get headers on it will handle the drone much better than the stock exhaust.

...and if you run into an Ashen Gray ZL1 up there he's a part of our club here in Houston. He did his mods at ADM before shipping the car over to Switzerland.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
CHMuscleCamaro

hello

yes it's not cheap but cheaper then other cars which are not so cool and good like the zl1.

yes i mean to close the flaps with m2w, when the car is loud at power and over 3500rpm is not my problem and the cops can't say anything, my problem is more under 3500rpm when i close the flaps i would like not be too loud, so that i don't get problems.

bring the header power without cats? because at my ss it felt like it bring definitly power but at the zl1 i don't know how it is.

so i need you help
Old 10-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
AMMUSCLE

Drives: 2013 ZL1 VERT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMuscleCamaro View Post
hello

yes it's not cheap but cheaper then other cars which are not so cool and good like the zl1.

yes i mean to close the flaps with m2w, when the car is loud at power and over 3500rpm is not my problem and the cops can't say anything, my problem is more under 3500rpm when i close the flaps i would like not be too loud, so that i don't get problems.

bring the header power without cats? because at my ss it felt like it bring definitly power but at the zl1 i don't know how it is.

so i need you help
Go with The PFADT Headers and hi-flow cats, great power and great sound. They are louder but with mild to wild you can keep it down while cruising. But if you get into the pedal and over 3500 it will catch some attention.

If you do not like it you can install the ADM wire harness like mlee said and then you can close it fully when you drive and not have to worry.

I have this setup and the towns I drive through are really tough on exhaust, but I drive with them open on the mild to wild and when a Police car gets behind me I just drive normal and never have to close it. I use it for my wife when she is in the car so we can talk without having to raise our voices.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Headers would be your best option. You would get more sound as well as a nice boost in HP and TQ. I Suggest going with Pfadt Tri-Y's or KOOKS. Feel free to call, PM or email me with questions or pricing.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
CHMuscleCamaro

what is the difference between headers and longtubes? need i other cats or are headers enough?

thank you
Old 10-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMuscleCamaro View Post
what is the difference between headers and longtubes? need i other cats or are headers enough?

thank you
When people say "long tubes", they are referring to long tube headers. There are shorty headers and long tube headers. Shorty headers are not a very good bang for the buck as they do not provide nearly the gains that long tube headers do.

Here is a picture for reference.

Long tube headers vs stock manifolds and cats:

Shorty headers will only replace the manifold and leave the factory cats and mid pipe in place.

If you do long tube headers, they will come with cats like in the picture above, or you can go for off-road (catless) connection pipes.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote