Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #785
gcope63

Drives: 2007 Corvette, 2004 Grand Prix GTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
Yeah, I havent undestood those square tire comments either. First thing I will do when I get mine is put 305s on the back for both looks and a little more traction. Dont like the slightly stretched look of a 285 tire on that wide of a rim.
That my plan too! I figure I can keep the "new" rear 285's and when I have to buy a new set I can just put those on the front and only have to buy new rear tires...

Gary
gcope63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #786
Dmerk

Drives: 2010 RY Camaro LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
Because the 1LE is a track oriented vehicle. Therefore, having 4 tires that are the same size all around would be advantageous, instead of a staggered set of tires.

the wheels must be different sizes because of the the offset requirements of the Camaro, but to make things easier at the track, they were able to make all 4 tires the same size.
From my experience, Monstertodd is right, the square setup is quite a bit better at the track - and by track I mean road-course or autocross. I don't track my Camaro, but I do track my M3 quite a lot, and I run a square set-up on it on the oem staggered wheels, and you really do notice the difference and see it in the times. The car doesn't understeer as much as it would with the staggered tires, it feels much more planted and "point-and-shoot" when you turn the wheel in. I've tried both setups back to back, and the square tires make all the difference!! Just my two-cents
Dmerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #787
Butcher

Drives: '03 MY/MR Z06, '09 Sliver/Red G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmerk View Post
From my experience, Monstertodd is right, the square setup is quite a bit better at the track - and by track I mean road-course or autocross. I don't track my Camaro, but I do track my M3 quite a lot, and I run a square set-up on it on the oem staggered wheels, and you really do notice the difference and see it in the times. The car doesn't understeer as much as it would with the staggered tires, it feels much more planted and "point-and-shoot" when you turn the wheel in. I've tried both setups back to back, and the square tires make all the difference!! Just my two-cents

I think that has to do with the set up of the car. If staggered wheels and tires aren't better on a road-course, then why do the fastest cars in the world (both race cars and production cars) have staggered set ups?
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #788
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
I was told keeping the front to rear ratio within 20mm is better for handling. The ZL1 uses a 285 front and 305 rear.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #789
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
I think that has to do with the set up of the car. If staggered wheels and tires aren't better on a road-course, then why do the fastest cars in the world (both race cars and production cars) have staggered set ups?
It all depends on where the weight is in the car front to rear. The Camaro SS is 52/48 front to rear weight ratio, so pretty close to even. The square setup on the 1LE helps to reduce understeer which helps a good driver to be faster. GM builds in more understeer normally so that the break away point gives more warning.

They think 1LE drivers will be people who already know how to handle a car like this or want to learn. Unfortunately since they included a racy appearance, some may buy this car thinking this is just a cool option. This will be a mistake. They will be buying a car with a harsher ride than the SS and one less forgiving. They may never take the car on the track to show the true benefit of the hardware.

Sort of like buying a high rider 4wd pickup and never taking it off road.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #790
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
Yeah, I havent undestood those square tire comments either. First thing I will do when I get mine is put 305s on the back for both looks and a little more traction. Dont like the slightly stretched look of a 285 tire on that wide of a rim.
You'll need to adjust the suspension or you'll have understeer.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #791
MarkSS

Drives: 2014 Z/28
I am beginning to figure out what I will order:

1SS 1LE - NPP dual mode exhaust (this is for sure)

Maybe add 9 speaker stereo (my 2010 had it, but probably not)
Maybe add rear camera (I wouldn't on any other car, but Camaro needs it)

Seven colors still in the running, only yellow and orange ruled out. CRT is a leading contender, but not sure how I would like it with all the black trim, wheels, etc.

I really do like the Camaro in many colors, my 2010 was VR, so that may be a consideration, also the new blue, but I would prefer to see it in person first... maybe go the Vader route (Black or Ashen Gray), but I have one black car already and it is a pain to keep clean. Decisions, decisions.
MarkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #792
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

I wonder if and how much weight savings there is for the optional exhaust.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #793
gcope63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSS View Post
I am beginning to figure out what I will order:

1SS 1LE - NPP dual mode exhaust (this is for sure)

Maybe add 9 speaker stereo (my 2010 had it, but probably not)
Maybe add rear camera (I wouldn't on any other car, but Camaro needs it)

Seven colors still in the running, only yellow and orange ruled out. CRT is a leading contender, but not sure how I would like it with all the black trim, wheels, etc.

I really do like the Camaro in many colors, my 2010 was VR, so that may be a consideration, also the new blue, but I would prefer to see it in person first... maybe go the Vader route (Black or Ashen Gray), but I have one black car already and it is a pain to keep clean. Decisions, decisions.

I am going with the 2SS with the RS package and SS performance Package (1LE)

Also will add the Sunroof, and Nav system and thats about it.. The 1LE package already comes with the short throw shifter so don't need to order that.. I sure am curious how the 1LE package is going to be priced..

Not sure how the heritage grill will look with the blacked out grill area if thats how it turns out being done.. If not then I will probably get the Heritage grill..

I will most likely go with the Victory Red unless the new Blue looks incredible in person.. will have to see on that..
Was thinking of having the hood wrap removed and then going with Blue Ray Metallic and getting the White hood stripes, I think that would look good..

Its going to be a long Summer waiting for the 1LE but should be a great Fall when it arrives!!!

Gary
Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #794
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
I would like to see a blue ray metallic car next to an IBM.
Also want to see how the gray rear spoiler will look against the BRM.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #795
MarkSS

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcope63 View Post
I am going with the 2SS with the RS package and SS performance Package (1LE)

Also will add the Sunroof, and Nav system and thats about it.. The 1LE package already comes with the short throw shifter so don't need to order that.. I sure am curious how the 1LE package is going to be priced..

Not sure how the heritage grill will look with the blacked out grill area if thats how it turns out being done.. If not then I will probably get the Heritage grill..

I will most likely go with the Victory Red unless the new Blue looks incredible in person.. will have to see on that..
Was thinking of having the hood wrap removed and then going with Blue Ray Metallic and getting the White hood stripes, I think that would look good..

Its going to be a long Summer waiting for the 1LE but should be a great Fall when it arrives!!!

Gary
Nothing in the order guide indicates interim availability of the 1LE package, I am holding out hope that the statement in the initial press release was not intended to pinpoint production timing and that 1LEs could be on the street (and track) by sometime in July. If this isn't top secret, maybe fbodfather could clarify?
MarkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #796
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
I want this car. Just needs headers and a nice cam.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #797
gcope63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSS View Post
Nothing in the order guide indicates interim availability of the 1LE package, I am holding out hope that the statement in the initial press release was not intended to pinpoint production timing and that 1LEs could be on the street (and track) by sometime in July. If this isn't top secret, maybe fbodfather could clarify?
Actually the original release said that the 1LE would be available in the Fall so I assume that means we won't be able to order them until Oct/Nov...

Gary
Old 04-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #798
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Hey GM any more information or pics available?

Tags
1le, 1le camaro, 1le forum, camaro 1le, camaro 1le forum, camaro performance package, camaro track pack, camaro track package, where's our z/28?