Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-06-2016, 05:31 AM   #15
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
I disagree. Those days are long gone. GM does not want you touching "THEIR" software....https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150421/23581430744/gm-says-that-while-you-may-own-your-car-it-owns-software-it-thanks-to-copyright.shtml]

edit - read the attached...GM's lawyers are fighting to make tuning an act of copyright infringement
That has been fought about for some time now.
The car companies encrypt as much as they can. Dodge is still a bitch. GM and Ford has always made it easier to break into,modify for a reason.
I've talked to a few high up GM personal. Pretty much in an indirect way. They want to see nasty GM products on the street but they don't want the responsibility/warranty of people's mistakes. I don't blame them.

My take is, you put a blower or something on. You lose warranty on the drivetrain hard parts. Have always thought like that.

As for them changing software ect. I hope they don't simply because the ZL1 can be a nasty platform to modify. We have plans on taking those apart asap and modifying to the max.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:52 AM   #16
clanky
Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro 2S

Drives: 16 Hyper Blue2SS NPP MagRide 6M NAV
Wow this is all news to me, I really hope that the software can catch up fast enough. I guess i'm glad I got a 16 SS instead of waiting to see if I wanted the 17 ZL1 or 17 SS... But like others said it might take a little time, but hopefully not, and they will be caught back up.
clanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #17
LSxWittles

Drives: Stuff and Things
I do understand where GM is coming from but that's not my issue with this. I'm more than likely going to void my warranty right after break in lol. I'm looking at it from the point of being able to mod the shit out of the car easily or not lol. Hopefully they can find a solution for this or I may have to try and find a 16 when I'm ready
LSxWittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:07 AM   #18
Stroked84

Drives: Nothing fun, currently.
This is rather disheartening news. I've been contemplating trading my 15 GT in for a 17 Fifty Edition, but not if there going to lock us out like that. Luckily I'm in no rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxWittles View Post
Hopefully they can find a solution for this or I may have to try and find a 16 when I'm ready
I'm in the same boat, but luckily for us they're not selling well. There is something like 6 months of dealer stock 16's still sitting in parking lots.
Stroked84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #19
BravoMyles

Drives: Blue/Black 2017 1SS
Got my 2017 3 weeks ago. Surely something will come up or that's just silly. I mean, I love the car, but c'mon tuning and modding is part of the fun for a lot of people.

2010 2SS - Summit White - SOLD
CAI intake, Borla Atak axle-back (Summit xpipe resonator delete), custom ported TB, Texas Speed 1 7/8" LT Headers w/ Catless connections

Instagram: bravomyles
BravoMyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:25 AM   #20
ericspt

Drives: '14 Z51 C7 SC'd, '14 S4, '15 SQ5
I asked on another forum and the engine management has not changed at all.

The encryption key system has, no word on how soon it will be fixed.

This is the comment from a forum tuner:

Quote:
Its the same PCM, but they have changed some things about how it is accessed, new seed/key to my understanding. Likely same change for C7.
Wonder if anything else has changed and if a '16 ECU is a direct swap?
ericspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:37 AM   #21
Jimmytt6

Drives: Pontiac G8 GT, Camaro 94Z28,69 Z/28
Being one that like to modify cars, this sucks..
Been thinking about getting new Camaro, have to wait and see I guess.
One thing I love about having a LS motor car is all the options available to
customize it.
Jimmytt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:19 AM   #22
Nate...

Drives: 2016 Camaro LTG
Another big reason GM and the other manufacturers are cracking down is cybersecurity and the risk of hacking. After seeing what happened to FCA GM is trying to be really proactive to prevent remote hacking.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:47 AM   #23
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
The people on the engineering/production side love to see their creations going to the next level, but they can't be quoted on the record, encouraging people to tune anymore.

As many of us in corporate America know, lawyers run the company. The way they've attacked this in the courtroom shows how important it is to them. They even tried throwing the kitchen sink at it with the whole EPA/emissions reasoning on top of it being copyright infringement. Their whole copyright argument is baseless because they're not losing any revenue from redistribution of their intellectual property. Even though they lost, they're still not going to give away the keys to the kingdom.

My bet is that the encryption that they're using will eventually be broken. As Slowhawk mentioned above, Dodge is PIA. When I bought my Charger back in 2012, I had to wait almost an entire year for someone to crack the ECU. Since then, it has gotten a lot easier and less expensive to encrypt software.

My guess with the 2017's is that they've probably moved to something like 128bit or 256bit symmetric key encryption now, where the same key is used for decryption. Hopefully someone on the inside leaks the key. 128bit encryption can be cracked without a leaked key, but cracking 256bit is very difficult. If they eventually move to something similar to 256bit PGP encryption which is used in banking, it could be very difficult - maybe even impossible - to crack. That involves the use of a public and private key, as well as a digital signature verification over a network connection.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:06 PM   #24
V8SS

Drives: 2017 M6 NFG
Wow Les, that sounds intimidating to say the least.
V8SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:38 PM   #25
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoMyles View Post
Got my 2017 3 weeks ago. Surely something will come up or that's just silly. I mean, I love the car, but c'mon tuning and modding is part of the fun for a lot of people.
Bring it by our shop,Maybe we can get the ball rolling for all on here.

Maybe some ADM Free stuff to boot
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #26
BravoMyles

Drives: Blue/Black 2017 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
Bring it by our shop,Maybe we can get the ball rolling for all on here.

Maybe some ADM Free stuff to boot
I'd be happy to! Tossed you a PM, we can figure out a time and you can do your thing.

2010 2SS - Summit White - SOLD
CAI intake, Borla Atak axle-back (Summit xpipe resonator delete), custom ported TB, Texas Speed 1 7/8" LT Headers w/ Catless connections

Instagram: bravomyles
BravoMyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:06 AM   #27
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but this has happened before. Dodge was inaccessible for a period of time, and I believe so were some GM products. Give HPT some time, they will get it.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:44 PM   #28
Captain Slow

Drives: 2017 SS
I waited over 3 years for Hondata to get into the 06+ civic si ecu. I'm not really sweating this.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote