Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-13-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 & solid black, baby!
Question Question about throttle response

I was just curious. Ever since I had my headers installed, and also after getting a tune through Vector (although not as much now), I notice that when I do a quick downshift either from 3-2nd or 4-3rd and punch it, my engine seems to bog down for a second or two before it picks up. Is this normal? Do I need to be a bit slower on the punch, or maybe I need a CAI to make up for air restriction in the intake? Any thoughts?
Swifty

The legend continues...
SwiftCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:05 AM   #2
rcracer78

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
+1
rcracer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:07 AM   #3
BumbleDs

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS TF Edition
Well if its going out faster it has to come in faster too?

Love it or hate it, my car can transform and kick your cars @$$!
BumbleDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:12 AM   #4
rcracer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleDs View Post
Well if its going out faster it has to come in faster too?
huh?
Old 10-13-2009, 01:13 AM   #5
BumbleDs

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS TF Edition
The air-the air is comming out of the engine better with headers-so it isnt going to hurt to with a differnt intake to make the air come in better-more out more in=more power and smoother power,

Love it or hate it, my car can transform and kick your cars @$$!
BumbleDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Anyone else have any input? I'm really curious about this. I would think that a tune would have taken care of this, but I can only conclude that my air-flow is restrictive from the stock air box...any opinions out there?
Swifty

The legend continues...
Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
Camaro509

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
I would imagine that the little bit of extra exhaust you have is in need of a little bit of extra air going in as well to balance it out...but that shouldn't be causing a noticable lag on the acceleration either. Maybe your tune is faulty? So many things could be causing this, or combination's of things.

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Camaro509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The tune probably should have fixed this. If you're looking at staying naturally aspirated, I would consider going the route of an intake with this intake manifold. If you're looking to go with forced induction, you should look into getting that done sooner than later. Adding more air might fix the problem, so decide which way you want to go based on your performance goals.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro509 View Post
I would imagine that the little bit of extra exhaust you have is in need of a little bit of extra air going in as well to balance it out...but that shouldn't be causing a noticable lag on the acceleration either. Maybe your tune is faulty? So many things could be causing this, or combination's of things.
The first part of your post makes sense. Now that I think about it, it began when I put the headers on. As to the tune, naw, it's actually improved a fraction since getting it tuned. I'm hoping that a CAI will make a difference. I guess I'll have to wait for Ted's testing on Sunday. I'm on the Vararam pre-order list, but I'm having second thoughts due to Vararam's inability to post updates to their product. They're making a huge marketing blunder with their perpetual silence, regardless of their R&D. You always need to keep your customers up-to-date...especially POTENTIAL customers.
Swifty

The legend continues...
Old 10-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #10
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The tune probably should have fixed this. If you're looking at staying naturally aspirated, I would consider going the route of an intake with this intake manifold. If you're looking to go with forced induction, you should look into getting that done sooner than later. Adding more air might fix the problem, so decide which way you want to go based on your performance goals.
I haven't heard real good opinions about the F.A.S.T. in recent posts. It seems that it's a LOT of trouble to go through for such a small net gain in HP. While I'd like an SP, my budget won't allow it for awhile. I guess I'll try a CAI first.
Swifty

The legend continues...
Old 10-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #11
rcracer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro509 View Post
I would imagine that the little bit of extra exhaust you have is in need of a little bit of extra air going in as well to balance it out.
This makes sense to me, becuase I just added a Solo Performance Mach-X catback but I still have the factory air box. I have a Airaid CAI on its way from a group buy here. Hopefully, when I install the CAI, it will balance out and not bog again.

It's kinda embarrasing when a C55 AMG comes up on you, you drop to 3rd, the LS3 bogs and the nose dips.

Airaid CAI for LS3 or L99:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=airaid

Solo Performance catback and axleback for LS3:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...lo+performance

Solo Performance catback and axleback for L99:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...lo+performance
Old 10-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Install a CAI, it's a must, especially with headers, they really do work together! You will get so much smoother running and I'm sure that this hesitation will be gone! Of course then you will probably have to retune to accomodate the CAI if you had it tuned for just the headers. rcracer78, I also installed a Solo Mach-X and it is great. I first installed a Roto-Fab intake and together it's like a completely different engine, with no tune. SwiftCat, what type of headers, long or short tube?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #13
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Install a CAI, it's a must, especially with headers, they really do work together! You will get so much smoother running and I'm sure that this hesitation will be gone! Of course then you will probably have to retune to accomodate the CAI if you had it tuned for just the headers. rcracer78, I also installed a Solo Mach-X and it is great. I first installed a Roto-Fab intake and together it's like a completely different engine, with no tune. SwiftCat, what type of headers, long or short tube?
They're ARH LTs, and I can imagine they require MUCH more air than the OEM exaust. Fortunately for me, I went with a Vector Motorsports tune...where all tune upgrades are free of charge when adding later bolt-ons. I'm considering either grabbing a Roto Fab from them at a discount since I'm a customer, or waiting out the CAI testing from Ted.
swifty

The legend continues...
Old 10-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Roto-Fab or ADM, depending on what you want to spend! Can't wait for the results after Sunday's shootout!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote