Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #29
vinyljunkie
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
You have a LS3 go with a Maggy it offers lots of lower end torque/power

You have a L99 go with Procharger its got the upper hp/torque

just my opinion
I think you got that backwards LS3 might want high end so would rather go with a Vortech. L99 needs the low end so id go with a maggie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftCat View Post
Thanks for the excellent read. That helped a lot....and so did your avatar.
NP that pic was taken with an iPhone...so close you can smell it... AHhAhAhAhAHahahH

it just sucks cause everyone has an opinion rather than a overall of whats goo. I think GTAHVIT said it well "Lets not make this a one over the other discussion. each has it's pros and cons."

hope you get some monster under that hood :P
Old 05-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #30
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 & solid black, baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyljunkie View Post
I think you got that backwards LS3 might want high end so would rather go with a Vortech. L99 needs the low end so id go with a maggie.

NP that pic was taken with an iPhone...so close you can smell it... AHhAhAhAhAHahahH

it just sucks cause everyone has an opinion rather than a overall of whats goo. I think GTAHVIT said it well "Lets not make this a one over the other discussion. each has it's pros and cons."

hope you get some monster under that hood :P
Oh I will...you can bet on that, lol.
Thanks,
Swifty

The legend continues...
SwiftCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #31
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyljunkie View Post

The L99 has the automatic with a LOW first gear which gets it out of the hole quick why would it want more lowend when highend would be great for the car and even out.

The LS3 after it gets off the line and gets going it climbs and Climbs imo the LS3 would love the Low end torque and with its highend that would even it out.

The maggy has GREAT low end torque and the vortec has great high end those were the words told to me from Ted from jenetty shrugs.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #32
Mayhem Matt

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS M6 SUPERCHRGED BUMBLEBEE
I Have the Vortech System under my hood and I have everything stock except for a muffler delete. On my last Dyno I showed a 536rwhp and a 485rwt. Thats almost 635hp at the motor (I belive, correct me if I'm wrong) That's an AWESOME gain from stock. At the last so-cal meet we had a supercharger shoot out and had 4 cars dyno'd. My car which was a Stock LS3 with Vortech's Supercharger, A LS3 with a Procharger, a LS3 with a Twin turbo set up, and a L99 I believe with a Maggie. My car took the win with 91 octane for fuel (Obviously!) and Vortech's mild and conservative tune! My car dyno'd stock with 381rwhp and JUST with Vortech's kit and tune I climbed that high in HP Gains!

Vortech BY FAR has a solid system that is SOOO Driver and road friendly I cant begin to tell you how satisfied I am with not just the drive ability of the car but the damn numbers it gained too! The tune they install is also made to keep your car reliable for the life of the car but if you want to go the limit, throw a gnarly tune with a pulley swap, add some headers, exhaust and watch the number skyrocket!

I'm sure the other systems out there are just as good and I'm not hating AT ALL on the others and of course I cant say ive driven another camaro with another companies SC but let the numbers do the talking I guess is all I can say! Also to add that this is all my opinion but as an end user and someone that knows a decent amount of cars and I can say this is not my first rodeo per say; you have my word that this kit has an endless possibility of options to make your Camaro eat up SuperCars (With some suspension of course and some odds and ends but you catch my drift!)
Ordered Bumblebee 10/15/2008Part of the Family 6/11/2009 #11423

My Bumblebee to Superbee build story...http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105163
Superbee's 536hp Dyno Run...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE7wePluPAc
Mayhem Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:08 PM   #33
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCR View Post
We have been WD distributors for both Vortech Engineering & Magna Charger for over 16 years.

We have seen proven dyno results for Centrifugal Superchargers to out perform Positive displacement over and over again.

What most dont talk about is the heat soak problems with Positive Displacement style superchargers. They are working double duty compared to Centrifugal style superchargers. The intercooler due to location is getting heat from the supercharger plus ambient heat from the engine itself.

We have seen 60 to 80 RWHP drop after trying to do 2 to 4 back to back pulls. Which would give you real world environments. With the Vortech kit we can do 3 to 4 pull back to back and see as little as a 5 RWHP change.

Also at highway speeds Vortechs air to air will actually start to cool below ambient temps on the IAT @ full throttle. Another plus to Centrifugal superchargers is in having the torque curve moved up in the power band allows for easier lanches and giving you the power in a more usable range on a street car with street tires.

These are just a few things. We use Positive Displacement superchargers on trucks all the time. I have seen great success with either kits and Personally own three cars with Vortechs ranging from my 450 HP Tahoe to my 1000 HP YSi Supercharger Trans Am.

Like I said we are dealers for both and they both serve there purpose in different arenas.
RMCR, that is interesting about the HP loss after a few pulls. Something that is not mentioned is the aesthetics and eye appeal. Personally, and my opinion only, the turbos look like a bag of snakes and do not do much to make an engine comparment look clean and uncluttered. The new Edelbrock E-Force is just now starting to come into play and will be interesting to see how it compares to the maggies and KB's, especially after they have been on cars for awhile.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #34
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
RMCR, that is interesting about the HP loss after a few pulls. Something that is not mentioned is the aesthetics and eye appeal. Personally, and my opinion only, the turbos look like a bag of snakes and do not do much to make an engine comparment look clean and uncluttered. The new Edelbrock E-Force is just now starting to come into play and will be interesting to see how it compares to the maggies and KB's, especially after they have been on cars for awhile.
Wow, my friend...the Edelbrock does look like a clean system. They're showing a dyno w/ 599 HP, and 547 ft/lbs of torque. Too bad I didn't live in SoCal anymore...they're taking test cars and giving free units to those who's cars they decide to use...DOHH!!
Anyway, I'll definitely keep my eyes on this unit too. I'll try to dig up some youtube footage if they have any out there.
Swifty

The legend continues...
Old 05-06-2010, 11:59 PM   #35
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Here's a little slice of heaven I found that Hennessey put together on youtube for the Edelbrock E-force...pretty sweet.

The legend continues...
Old 05-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #36
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAGREG View Post
This one is easy. Superchargers add boost. The more boost the more power. I have had both Roots
and centrifugal superchargers. They both make power. They feel a bit different to drive.

I love 'em both.

On the JBA Super Sport the Vortech unit was the only choice for a few good reasons.
The most important is longevity. The Vortech for the 2010 is now literally maintenance
free, creates less stress than a roots on all drive train components as well as the
motor, and has plenty of room to grow = Want more boost? Change your pully it only takes
about 10 minutes!

The guys at GTR who did our official Dyno felt that they could have easily hit 600 RWHP if
I would have let them do more tuning. At my age I was quite happy at 564rwhp& 507 FTLBs
(Besides, this guy is not paid for yet!)

We have lots of plans for the car, one of which is NOT fixing a broken motor.

Thanks man...good post.

The legend continues...
Old 05-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #37
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
You can make arguments for both the MagnaCharger and the Vortec. Everyone has their favorites. The debate of positive displacement versus variable will also go on. Torque low/high, HP low/high, longevity, heat, heat soak, IAT, A-T-A versus W-T-A Intercooler, meth injection, Nitrous assist.

They ALL work. Because of the fierce competition here, we the 5th Gen Camaro owners are reaping the benefits of 600hp motors with 100% street manners. These companies want to expand their customer base, so they have been putting the "R" in R&D and as a result you get to purchase a sophisticated power adder for a fair price. How cool is that?

Once you get to the HP range these items provide, you may want to be a little more concerned with the drivetrain and suspension. Getting the power to the pavement will put any one of these combos in the winners circle.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #38
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I want the one with the loudest whistling noise, which one is that ?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #39
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
I want the one with the loudest whistling noise, which one is that ?

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:04 AM   #40
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
I`ve done a lot of research on superchargers before deciding on what route to go. Here is what I`ve concluded from the research I`ve done. But first I want to explain a little about the method to my madness...

I had a 96 Trans Am that I modded from 1997 to 2006. I went from bolt-ons, to heads and cam, to another bigger close 109 lobe sep cam and from a 3500 1.64str converter to a 4k 2.6str converter. So in its final iteration it was a blast at the track, would yank the front tires, but was not all that fun to drive around town.

This time I wanted a car that could run 10`s, but drive like stock. The only way to do that is w/ a power adder. From years of racing I knew that on GM stuff the best ET`ing cars ran Centrificals vs Magnachargers. Consistently the Centrficals always ran better numbers. While nice blowers the Maggies never seemed to put down the track numbers compared to the others. They are a blast on the street though, and are much better eye candy. On the Ford stuff Whipple and KB were the way to go and put down great track numbers. Of course there are turbo`s, but I did not want one of those for my own reasons.

If you stay bolt-on only to retain stock manners on an L99 due to the DOD lifters you cannot spin the motor up w/ out damaging something. This rules out the centrificals as the best choice. They make their power the higher you spin the motor, thehigher the rpm the more power you make. So if you want to run a centrifical on an L99 I would suggest changing out the valvetrain to get the most out of it. That left me w/ needing a blower that makes power early. My choices were magnacharger, edelbrock, Harrop, KB and Whipple. While nice blowers I did not feel the maggie would get me consistently where I wanted to be, in the 10`s w/ stock internals and bolt-ons. Edelbrock at this point I really don`t know too much about but I don`t expect it to perform much better than the Maggie perhaps a little, But I hate the giant plastic cover.. I almost pulled the trigger on the Harrop, it put down the numbers I needed but was a little pricey and w/ polished adding 1500 bucks I did not want a 9k 1900 blower. That left KB and Whipple. I think either one of these units will put me where I want to be and have future expandibility if I ever blow the motor. In the end I`m choosing Whipple over the KB for 1 reason, some may think its foolish, but its due to it being a front mount blower and my custom painted ADM race CAI will bolt up to it, not so w/ the KB rear mount.

If you have an LS3 and want the best track numbers I would suggest a Procharger or Vortech since you can spin the LS3 up w/ stock internals, where the Centrificals shine. Plus massive torque down low w/ a manual usually means broken driveline parts... The automatic absorbs a lot of that "shock" on the launch and shift.

Well thats my opinion, and as such, is just that, an opinion...
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..

Last edited by GMRULZ; 05-11-2010 at 01:54 PM.
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #41
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
very good thread,enjoyed reading.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #42
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRULZ View Post
I`ve done a lot of research on superchargers before deciding on what route to go. Here is what I`ve concluded from the research I`ve done. But first I want to explain a little about the method to my madness...

I had a 96 Trans Am that I modded from 1997 to 2006. I went from bolt-ons, to heads and cam, to another bigger close 109 lobe sep cam and from a 3500 1.64str converter to a 4k 2.6str converter. So in its final iteration it was a blast at the track, would yank the front tires, but was not all that fun to drive around town.

This time I wanted a car that could run 10`s, but drive like stock. The only way to do that is w/ a power adder. From years of racing I knew that on GM stuff the best ET`ing cars ran Centrificals vs Magnachargers. Consistently the Centrficals always ran better numbers. While nice blowers the Maggies never seemed to put down the track numbers compared to the others. They are a blast on the street though, and are much better eye candy. On the Ford stuff Whipple and KB were the way to go and put down great track numbers. Of course there are turbo`s, but I did not want one of those for my own reasons.

If you stay bolt-on only to retain stock manners on an L99 due to the DOD lifters you cannot spin the motor up w/ out damaging something. This rules out the centrificals as the best choice. They make their power the higher you spin the motor, thehigher the rpm the more power you make. So if you want to run a centrifical on an L99 I would suggest changing out the valvetrain to get the most out of it. That left me w/ needing a blower that makes power early. My choices were magnacharger, edelbrock, Harrop, KB and Whipple. While nice blowers I did not feel the maggie would get me consistently where I wanted to be, in the 10`s w/ stock internals and bolt-ons. Edelbrock at this point I really don`t know too much about but I don`t expect it to perform much better than the Maggie perhaps a little, But I hate the giant plastic cover.. I almost pulled the trigger on the Harrop, it put down the numbers I needed but was a little pricey and w/ polished adding 1500 bucks I did not want a 9k 1900 blower. That left KB and Whipple. I think either one of these units will put me where I want to be and have future expandibility if I ever blow the motor. In the end I`m choosing Whipple over the KB for 1 reason, some may think its foolish, but its due to it being a front mount blower and my custom painted ADM race CAI will bolt up to it, not so w/ the KB rear mount.

If you have an LS3 and want the best track numbers I would suggest a Procharger or Vortech since you can spin the LS3 up w/ stock internals, where the Centrificals shine. Plus massive torque down low w/ a manual usually means broken parts... The automatic absorbs a lot of that "shock" on the launch and shift.

Well thats my opinion, and as such, is just that, an opinion...
Wow, mano...excellent post. After doing my own research, I'm beginning to lean towards either a Procharger, Vortech, or Whipple, although I'd like to have compatibility with my ADM race CAI since I just spent close to six Benjamins on it. My main concern is your comment in regard to low-end torque straining the stock internals on my LS3.
Would the best option be to run lower PSI with whatever blower I decide upon?
Thanks,
Swifty

The legend continues...