Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #43
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'd be nice to see an independent test of these SCs; I'm sure it's not practical, but I think it would be very interesting to see how they all stack up against each other.
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #44
kpwalls06
Cory

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6;
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftCat View Post
Wow, mano...excellent post. After doing my own research, I'm beginning to lean towards either a Procharger, Vortech, or Whipple, although I'd like to have compatibility with my ADM race CAI since I just spent close to six Benjamins on it. My main concern is your comment in regard to low-end torque straining the stock internals on my LS3.
Would the best option be to run lower PSI with whatever blower I decide upon?
Thanks,
Swifty
I think what GMRULZ was trying to say about massive low-end torque breaking things in the LS3 is that a massive amount of torque in a manual tranny can cause problems with the clutch and tranny on hard launches. If you're gonna run big power and try to run it hard you're definitely gonna need a new clutch. As for the engine internals, the LS3 motor will handle quite a bit, and there are people running 12-14 psi with out breakage, though that will surely shorten the life of the motor!!
kpwalls06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #45
vinyljunkie
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I'd be nice to see an independent test of these SCs; I'm sure it's not practical, but I think it would be very interesting to see how they all stack up against each other.
Well we actually ran a dyno with Vortech maggie and a procharger at Stillen.

The setup was stock cars with only SC and very minimal tune...non aggressive.

At the end Vortech came the highest with 536 or 539rwhp. i think the procharger came in at 499rwhp and maggie came in a bit loer than that.

Vortech was - bumblebee Matt
Procharger was - mindz
maggie - (forgot...sign of old age or too much partying)
Old 05-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #46
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyljunkie View Post

At the end Vortech came the highest with 536 or 539rwhp. i think the procharger came in at 499rwhp and maggie came in a bit loer than that.
I'm curious, but was the OEM intake used for the Maggy? Also, can you comment on the boost numbers for each of these? Also, these were different cars, no? Was tuning all done on the dyno' that day? Were all the AFRs kept the same? I'm not questioning your tests, at all, but I'm just curious how controlled the testing was. I work in a lab, so I'm all about consistancy, and without it, the testing is not objective; it'll give an idea but certainly not conclusive.

Thanks for the input
Old 05-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #47
Cole@Fastlane

Drives: 2010 LSX shootout champions
DONT BELT DRIVE IT.....EXHAUST DRIVE IT WITH A TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cole@Fastlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #48
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole@Fastlane View Post
DONT BELT DRIVE IT.....EXHAUST DRIVE IT WITH A TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BOO!!! Turbos are cheating!!!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #49
vinyljunkie
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I'm curious, but was the OEM intake used for the Maggy? Also, can you comment on the boost numbers for each of these? Also, these were different cars, no? Was tuning all done on the dyno' that day? Were all the AFRs kept the same? I'm not questioning your tests, at all, but I'm just curious how controlled the testing was. I work in a lab, so I'm all about consistancy, and without it, the testing is not objective; it'll give an idea but certainly not conclusive.

Thanks for the input
the test wasnt done by me...it was done by Stillen under same condition all back to back pulls, not on a different days and so on

you know..i dont know each but from what was said was that they were all on a pretty equal playing field. for the maggie, the SAD part is, and i dont know if this had anything to with his numbers which the owner of the car even said it wouldnt, his check engine light was on.

im happy you asked that question. seems like people look at numbers and automatically think ones superior to another. i think boost and tune makes such a huge difference.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #50
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpwalls06 View Post
I think what GMRULZ was trying to say about massive low-end torque breaking things in the LS3 is that a massive amount of torque in a manual tranny can cause problems with the clutch and tranny on hard launches. If you're gonna run big power and try to run it hard you're definitely gonna need a new clutch. As for the engine internals, the LS3 motor will handle quite a bit, and there are people running 12-14 psi with out breakage, though that will surely shorten the life of the motor!!
Exactly, I meant the driveline on a manual car ie.. clutch, trans, rear end and halfshafts. Nothing to do w/ the engine.

SwiftCat,

I would say go Procharger or Vortech on your LS3 and don`t look back.. It will be easier on the driveline mn6 components and will make great hp in the higher rpm`s the LS3 can climb too.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #51
Mike@KB

Drives: 775HP 2005 KBGT
Here is some good reading.

http://kennebell.net/superchargers/gm/Camaro/Camaro.htm
Mike@KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #52
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Vendors better stick to your product and make no reference to competitor's options.

Add something constructive and contribute or keep out.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #53
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyljunkie View Post

Vortech was - bumblebee Matt
Procharger was - mindz
maggie - (forgot...sign of old age or too much partying)
One thing to remember when posting numbers is these are peak numbers.
What is also needed to do a "fair" comparison is:
1) How many psi for each? Intercooled? Air? Water?
2) At what RPM is this peak HP/TQ occurring?
3) AVERAGE HP/TQ throughout the usable power band. i.e. "Area under the curve". If you look at events such as Popular Hot Rodding's Engine Masters Challenge, you will see it is highest combined HP & TQ scores over the usable RPM range.
4) Cost
5) Ease of installation
6) Compatibility with stock engine and/or future engine mods

And probably the most important comparison quantifier is USAGE:
Street - city
Street - tight road
Street - open roads/highway
Street/Strip
Strip - 1/8th or 1/4
Autocross - short, long
Open Track Days
Road Course - short, long
Standing Mile runs (Maxton, Texas, Top Gun)
Cannonball
Bullrun
Open Highway Race (Silver State Classic Challenge)
Baja 1000 Offroad Race [ha, made you look]

There are a million ways to reach one's FI or NA goals. The all have their advantages and disadvantages. No single one is superior to the other. But due to the highly competitive nature of the vendors the 5th Gen Camaro owner has some really awesome possibilities...
Old 05-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #54
WeeZee

Drives: SuperSport's
Well I had a ProCharged 2003 Mustang Mach1 (8#'s 466 rwhp) and I love the sound of ProChargers. U can't beat the intimidation factor when anybody walks up and hears that specific whistle. The power is more mid range which I loved and it was easy to install with excellent instructions. The customer service is very helpfull during business hours, my vote is ProCharger
WeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #55
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeZee View Post
Well I had a ProCharged 2003 Mustang Mach1 (8#'s 466 rwhp) and I love the sound of ProChargers. The power is more mid range which I loved and it was easy to install with excellent directions. The customer service is very helpfull during business hours, my vote is ProCharger
Respectfully - the only thing I don't really like about Prochargers is the sound, lol. All the one's I've heard sound like they're blending ball bearings or something. They perform though!!!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #56
2010 Indy Pace Car
NCCOA Ch 1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - Z4Z # 44
I know this is an older thread, but while at RPM in Garner, NC, last week, I watched Ryan perform his magic on another 2010. It had a very mild cam (Didn't get the numbers, but Ryan said it was very small, and a Whipple. The end result after his magic... 648 to the wheels, nothing else done to the motor or any other mods. Very respectable for only around $7,500 out of the door.
2010 Indy Pace Car is offline   Reply With Quote