Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #1
Jeff1981

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS/RS 6 SPD
Headers and Cam warranty issue

I contacted my local dealership last week to inquire about getting a cam and headers installed. I know that doing this will void your warranty if you go with things like kooks, etc. and I only have 2800 miles on my car. I know there are mixed opinions on the GM Performance items but I was told from the dealer it would void my warranty even if ordered and installed at the dealership, actual GM items. My question is why? Has anyone else experienced this? It also didn't help that the woman I spoke with at the dealership was very "short" while speaking.
Jeff1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
Irace16

Drives: 2010 1SS RS M6
If you install headers you're more than likely going to need a tune, definatly voids warranty , breaking into the engine to do a cam will definatly void your warranty .
Old 04-16-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
It voids you warranty even if you use GM parts at a GM dealership because even though they have designed all the components, they have not done extensive R&D on the exact setup you are going to use for longevity. That an if you modify that with them, you are more likely to modify the car further with items they do not offer. Pay to play my friend.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
Skillet
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1981 View Post
I contacted my local dealership last week to inquire about getting a cam and headers installed. I know that doing this will void your warranty if you go with things like kooks, etc. and I only have 2800 miles on my car. I know there are mixed opinions on the GM Performance items but I was told from the dealer it would void my warranty even if ordered and installed at the dealership, actual GM items. My question is why? Has anyone else experienced this? It also didn't help that the woman I spoke with at the dealership was very "short" while speaking.
You got something against short people? And did she get taller once she shut up?
Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #5
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
This issue has been hashed so many times, but keep in mind that, while the dealership can and likely will deny you an engine/drivetrain related claim after doing a cam install (and maybe even headers), the Magnuson-Moss Act gives you some remedy if the warranty issue isn't directly related to the aftermarket part added. All I'm saying is, putting on headers or adding a cam doesn't void the entire warranty. Dealers can certainly be hard to deal with when trying to get service after installing non-OEM mods, but sometimes it depends on how you approach them. Sounds like you're dealing with a mod-unfriendly dealer.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #6
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Warranty is a touchy subject here is an example of what happened to me:

In the fall of 2014 I had a cam swap done on the car. During the winter and into the early spring while it sat in storage i notice a small coolant leak. That spring I brought it into the dealership and showed them where it was leaking from thinking I might need a new line installed since the car sits so much. Come to find out my oil cooler line fitting was cross threaded to the engine block from the factory. GM stated that although I had modified my engine and tuned the car they understood that none of my mods had anything to do with why it was leaking coolant. Which there is a TSB on this issue. GM paid for the cost of a new engine block and the labor to remove old engine and install new engine. However, I had to pay for the labor to swap all my internals from the old engine to the new engine.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:57 AM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
My uncle ordered his 2010 Vette with a GM Performance cam and heads. kept full warranty. GM performance has a tune or the set up. I bet the dealer has no idea what they're talking about so just told you no.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote