Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 04-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
dragonZ28

Drives: 2001 T/A, 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 Z06
Thumbs up My dealer ordered a car 1 month ago, and he just got invoiced!

I think they are making them quicker than anyone thinks. If this is true, then the car was built within a month of placing the order with GM. I called to check our status today and he said they just got an invoice on a car they ordered 1 month ago.

Do they build these cars in order, or do they preference them by color and options?
dragonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #2
avol2
2G1FT1EWXA9104709

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
No they are not being built in date order.. There was lots of speculation.. but obviously there are a lot of us still confused........:(

I don't think GM knows what they are doing now....

~~~~~~~~~~~
Julie
aka aVOL2 (because I ride a VOLusia Too)
avol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
theshadow1234

Drives: Shelby GT500
Wow that blows for people who put thier orders in 7-8 months ago and are still waiting to pass 1100 or above. I called a dealer yesterda with allocations and they told me it would be 6-8 weeks after it gets picked up. Strange.
theshadow1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Avol2: They definitely do know what they're doing. GM is not as stupid as everyone thinks. They have a plan for building the vehicles, trust me. The fact that dragons dealer did that is not uncommon. Just because some of us placed our orders with our dealers back in October means little to nothing really. GM sends out weekly allocations to each of its thousands of dealers so that every dealer can get cars regardless of how many the pre-sold. If anything, you guys should be mad at your dealers that took your orders knowing damn well they would not be built until June or July. GM did send memos to dealers advising them of how to handle the process and stated that it was up to them whether or not they would pre-sell these vehicles.

GM builds these cars based on placed orders by dealers in accordance with the allocations sent to them. If a dealer has 12 orders and 2 allocations, guess what happens to the other 10...

Again, if a dealer has 0 orders and 12 allocations, he will most definitely have his vehicles faster than the guy with 2 allocations.

It all has to do with dealer performance, location and market.

Sorry if it seems like I'm attacking you, that is not my intention, but when people bad mouth a company when they don't really understand the business, it makes me a little frustrated.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Yeah, pre-orders should have been built first in my opinion.. What's the point of pre-ordering then??
Old 04-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Yeah, pre-orders should have been built first in my opinion.. What's the point of pre-ordering then??
If you were number one or number two at yoru dealer, then the point is you get the exact car you want earlier than most people. If you were number 7 or 8 of 10, it's your fault for not understanding that the initial allocations were through the third quarter of the year and if you were that far back in line, naturally there will be dealers who did not take pre-orders that will get cars before you. Your dealers should have explained all of this to you, but all of the information is on these boards.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
avol2
2G1FT1EWXA9104709

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocker View Post
Avol2: They definitely do know what they're doing. GM is not as stupid as everyone thinks. They have a plan for building the vehicles, trust me. The fact that dragons dealer did that is not uncommon. Just because some of us placed our orders with our dealers back in October means little to nothing really. GM sends out weekly allocations to each of its thousands of dealers so that every dealer can get cars regardless of how many the pre-sold. If anything, you guys should be mad at your dealers that took your orders knowing damn well they would not be built until June or July. GM did send memos to dealers advising them of how to handle the process and stated that it was up to them whether or not they would pre-sell these vehicles.

GM builds these cars based on placed orders by dealers in accordance with the allocations sent to them. If a dealer has 12 orders and 2 allocations, guess what happens to the other 10...

Again, if a dealer has 0 orders and 12 allocations, he will most definitely have his vehicles faster than the guy with 2 allocations.

Sorry if it seems like I'm attacking you, that is not my intention, but when people bad mouth a company when they don't really understand the business, it makes me a little frustrated.
Its all good..

but I am still confused... last month my dealer said they were suppose to get 3 cars in April.. so far they are just now on the list for their 1 LT show car, (and I don't think it has left the plant yet).. my car is #1 order .....they had 9 allocations for orders back in October and sold them all...

Lots of Mustangs in Tacoma, Lots of Dealers in Tacoma... and only 3 show cars coming to Tacoma (to different shops).... its just odd... .. and not worth my frustrations or misunderstandings...

AND I do believe there are issues. With so many of us ordering 6+ months ago, and someone orders last month and get theirs before us.... no matter how you coat it, slice it or dress it up ... it is not fair to the LOYAL been around for a long time customers waiting.. however Chevy wants to sell it, its still not fair............ but alas life isnt fair.... I know......

~~~~~~~~~~~
Julie
aka aVOL2 (because I ride a VOLusia Too)
avol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by avol2 View Post
Its all good..

but I am still confused... last month my dealer said they were suppose to get 3 cars in April.. so far they are just now on the list for their 1 LT show car, (and I don't think it has left the plant yet).. my car is #1 order .....they had 9 allocations for orders back in October and sold them all...

Lots of Mustangs in Tacoma, Lots of Dealers in Tacoma... and only 3 show cars coming to Tacoma (to different shops).... its just odd... .. and not worth my frustrations or misunderstandings...

AND I do believe there are issues. With so many of us ordering 6+ months ago, and someone orders last month and get theirs before us.... no matter how you coat it, slice it or dress it up ... it is not fair to the LOYAL been around for a long time customers waiting.. however Chevy wants to sell it, its still not fair............ but alas life isnt fair.... I know......
When he said "3 cars in April" he was referring to allocations. Once a dealer receives allocation and submits an order to utilize that allocation, it's about a month or more until it will show up as built. Each dealer is getting ONE show car, no matter how big or small (although apparently some or all dealers are getting an additional freebie on top of that show car, I haven't seen clear info on this).

Keep in mind that really, we are not GM's customers, the dealers are. We are the dealers' customers. That being said, there's also strict rules/laws/regulations as to how GM has to divvy up allocation. They can't just give allocation to dealers that did preorders as you and pretty much everyone else on this forum including myself wishes they would. It just can't work that way.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
Beechdoctor

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Camaros are built in the following order. IMHO

Priority 1....High profile buyers like Nascar and Hollywood types....marketing strategy.

Priority 2....Knowing or getting to know someone higher up at GM that can influence the build schedule.

Priority 3....May 6th Dealer showroom cars and unveiling events...again marketing strategy.

Priority 4....Fleet cars like AVIS....still again marketing strategy.

Priority 5....Dealer size and total sales volume generally dictates when sold order cars are sequenced.

With few exceptions, Early orders from October are just sold orders without any special priority unless it is a Top Tier Dealer. GM is betting on tens of thousands of new orders with the May 6 event....dwarfing the October 2008 early orders from us fanatics. This sucks for those of us that ordered from a small dealer on the first day, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.....

By July, this discussion will be a forgotten memory to the masses.
Beechdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by avol2 View Post
Its all good..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechdoctor View Post
Priority 1....High profile buyers like Nascar and Hollywood types....marketing strategy.

Priority 2....Knowing or getting to know someone higher up at GM that can influence the build schedule.

Priority 3....May 6th Dealer showroom cars and unveiling events...again marketing strategy.

Priority 4....Fleet cars like AVIS....still again marketing strategy.

Priority 5....Dealer size and total sales volume generally dictates when sold order cars are sequenced.

With few exceptions, Early orders from October are just sold orders without any special priority unless it is a Top Tier Dealer. GM is betting on tens of thousands of new orders with the May 6 event....dwarfing the October 2008 early orders from us fanatics. This sucks for those of us that ordered from a small dealer on the first day, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.....

By July, this discussion will be a forgotten memory to the masses.
At the end of the day, we can't be too upset. We have to remember that enthusiasts make up a small proportion of car buyers. Not many people are as fascinated as we are with the physics and design components of the automotive industry. It's sad that we have to wait the longest for the cars we want the most, but the ultimate truth is that we do not really profit the companies we support. Sure—we're more likely to buy car-related apparel, performance parts, and more expensive cars, but we're also a very small market segment that will buy regardless of what they throw at us. We are the guaranteed sales, and they have to go out of their way to get other sales in order to keep catering to us. If we were the only sales, our favorite companies would go the way of DeLorean.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
RottNCrzy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Black/White S
I think the problem with some cars is the dealer takes your money but can't order them I've seen people place order in oct . But not accepted by GM till April.... Sorry to say but your car is now on line in April , Oct means nothing. All that means is the dealer did'nt have allocation so your order never went in till they had allocation. Tell me if I'm wrong but thats what my dealer said is what is going on.
RottNCrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
My workbench shows priority 25? What does that mean? My dealer had 24 on their preorder list, I am 5th on the second list I guess.
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #13
drewauby5

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
It means that you are 25th on the list of camaro orders placed at your dealer. They are allocated so many cars through the first 3 quarters of the year. They get monthly allotments and are allowed to enter in those in any order they choose. Basically you will be the 25th order entered by your dealer, thus waiting a while for your car...I am in Tucson also and looked at both dealers here and they told me I would be that high on list and I went to Larry Green Chevrolet in Cottonwood and used one of their open allocations in April, my car is at 2000 event code now.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #14
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Think of it like a TWO FUNNEL process....

You were first at your dealership (you go into the funnel) and the rest go in behind you....The funnel empties into a GM Funnel in March. First out of the dealer funnel, are the first into the GM funnel. Regardless how full your dealerships funnel was, all funnels into the GM funnel are treated equally. As the GM funnel empties, cars appear.

?
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote