Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
AK Mike

Drives: 1951 Chevy Pickup 2010 Camaro
Upcoming road trip; what defense?

We're planning a 4,000 mile road trip in June and wondering what to carry for defense? Alaska's concealed carry permit isn't honored in all the states we'll be passing through, so the .45 is out. Don't want to carry a shotgun either. Thinking about pepper spray or an electronic method....we'll be staying on the main roads, doing the tourist thing and staying in (mostly) uplevel hotels....but, we're getting old, so we might make a more inviting target for someone doing bad. Any ideas?
AK Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
A cellular phone. If something goes down, call 911. Oh and before you leave, maybe refill your prescription of "Chill" pills.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
AK Mike

Drives: 1951 Chevy Pickup 2010 Camaro
911, of course!

Guess I'm a bit old-fashioned and not willing to be a victim waiting for a response to a 911 call....and, I'll be cruising through your neighborhood, Ssooch, so what might I expect?
AK Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65

Old 10-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
diddiyo

Drives: .
dont forget to put the gun in your lap at every gas station and whip it out if somebody comes to close.
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Carry the pistol wherever Alaska's permit allows you to. When you can't carry, lock it in the trunk.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:46 AM   #8
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Carry the pistol wherever Alaska's permit allows you to. When you can't carry, lock it in the trunk.
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
NoUCantDriveIt

Drives: 2SS RS M6 CGM/Black Rally
Being a woman the whole “personal safety” thing is different in ways most men don’t give a second thought. So while my comment may or may not apply to you, I do understand the basis of your concern. The Cell Phone idea is good, and if you’re comfortable actually using a gun if needed than I would trust Banshee’s advice. Although, I think the best defense is simply being aware of what (and who) is around you. When I’m traveling alone and see a gas station that is well lit and busy, I’ll stop and fill my tank even if I’m only down a half. It’s better than needing gas when I’m in an area that makes me nervous. (Yes, I know this next one sounds stupid but…) I try to not look like a walking target. When I go to and from my car I walk head up, shoulders back, like I know exactly where I’m going and pity to anything that gets in my way. Had one friend call it my “tough city b***ch” walk.

Bottom line..do what is within reason to stay safe, then relax and enjoy your trip.
NoUCantDriveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUCantDriveIt View Post
Being a woman the whole “personal safety” thing is different in ways most men don’t give a second thought. So while my comment may or may not apply to you, I do understand the basis of your concern. The Cell Phone idea is good, and if you’re comfortable actually using a gun if needed than I would trust Banshee’s advice. Although, I think the best defense is simply being aware of what (and who) is around you. When I’m traveling alone and see a gas station that is well lit and busy, I’ll stop and fill my tank even if I’m only down a half. It’s better than needing gas when I’m in an area that makes me nervous. (Yes, I know this next one sounds stupid but…) I try to not look like a walking target. When I go to and from my car I walk head up, shoulders back, like I know exactly where I’m going and pity to anything that gets in my way. Had one friend call it my “tough city b***ch” walk.

Bottom line..do what is within reason to stay safe, then relax and enjoy your trip.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #11
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Mike View Post
Guess I'm a bit old-fashioned and not willing to be a victim waiting for a response to a 911 call....and, I'll be cruising through your neighborhood, Ssooch, so what might I expect?
The only thing you have to worry about in Utah is the Mormons trying to convert you! No seriously, Utah's pretty relaxed. I think we have the highest percentage of concealed weapon permits granted so everybody's packing heat thus everybody minds their own business. The drivers suck, but other than that everybody is pretty cool headed around these parts. Utah accepts all permits, I think the only states around here you have to be careful is California and Nevada. Everywhere else is like the Wild West.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
Abygale

Drives: .
Depending on your route it doesn't look like you'll run into many states that will be a problem for you Kansas would be one though

http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal...state-laws.php
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #13
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
When people see your Alaska plates, they'll assume you're packing something to kill all the bears and leave you alone.

I don't know what you're driving, it only shows the pick up in your signature- but if you have a pick up, put in a gun rack and don't conceal a thing when you're driving.

But I'm with Banshee otherwise.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #14
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Wow must be the Canadian in me, but I drive everywhere (in the states included) and I have never felt unsafe enough to need a gun.

Don't drive down scuzzy streets late at night looking for gas stations, keep your doors locked and don't follow anyone into a back alley cause they want to show you something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote