Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 05-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
Bornluckee13
I fly

Drives: 2010 2SS, Stick, Cyber Gray
AutoX guys/ track day guys, tire help please!

I am currently running 315's and 275's. I'm about to start thinking about new tires and was wondering if I should go to a "square" set up? I was thinking 285's? Opinions please, I'm just a dummy with a heavy foot trying to avoid tickets by getting the ya ya's out on the track!
There are only two options in life. Fight or flight. Most people run. Almost all people run. But not us. The difference between us and everyone else is that we run towards the gunfire. And that makes all the difference.
Bornluckee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
20x10 +35 all around would work well in 285 and you can get lightweight TSW's cheap in that size.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Bornluckee13
I fly

I am running the nurnbering 20x10's on all corners, I love the look of those big meaty tires in the rear but am a form follows function kind of guy! Is the performance increase worth it? Is it harder to keep the ass end under the car, or does the reduction of understeer null it out? Thanks!
There are only two options in life. Fight or flight. Most people run. Almost all people run. But not us. The difference between us and everyone else is that we run towards the gunfire. And that makes all the difference.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
Synner

Non-square setups can be managed with sway bar rates but the car will feel more balanced/neutral with equal tires versus trying to fight it with mechanical leverage. 285/305 with adjustable sways would be more of a middle ground but limits tire options. Go toyo R888 in 285 all around if you want lots of grip at the expense of longevity. Depends on use of the car as they're not daily driver friendly, ultimately a 2nd set of wheels might be beneficial in a smaller diameter if you want to get real serious.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
Bornluckee13
I fly

Thanks! As far as sway bar set ups, I have front and rear sways (LSR) both set on the firmest setting, should I soften the rear a notch?
Old 05-06-2013, 01:29 AM   #6
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
I have Pedders ZL1 sways. Rear is non adjustable front on full soft per JusticePete and many others. 48-50 psi front tires. Still running stock staggered setup with crappy BFG Comp II's. Understeer is almost gone and have more oversteer which is much more manageable. Will be going to square setup soon. Most likely 285's as suggested on stock rear rims all around.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:10 AM   #7
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornluckee13 View Post
Thanks! As far as sway bar set ups, I have front and rear sways (LSR) both set on the firmest setting, should I soften the rear a notch?
No you want the rear stiff to counteract the tire offset, I would soften the front a bit with what you currently have. If you go with a square setup you could go back to full stiff in front and potentially go one softer in the rear. Oversteer tuning is a driver choice so there's no magic bullet. Personally I like mild oversteer as its the fastest way for me to drive. Understeer is the devil.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Bornluckee13
I fly

Thanks, autoX is this Sunday, I'll soften the front when I install radius bushings on Saturday and give it a shot. I agree, under steer is evil! It's way better now than stock though!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
20x10 +35 all around would work well in 285 and you can get lightweight TSW's cheap in that size.
Thats the setup I'm running. I went with the Toyo R888. 100 Tread wear rating so they are very soft but love them on the track. They don't need much heat and they will squeal just the right amount when you are on the edge (Unlike slicks which are silent until it's too late and you're in the weeds.)
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
Synner

I'm shooting for 305's all around this winter. Only sucky part is limited tire choices in that size. But I'd prefer a longer wearing tire than the toyos anyways, eating up brake pads too fast and can only afford one or the other through a season.