Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Question Traction Control Light Coming On By Itself

Two or three times now (in the past month or so), my traction control light on the dash has come on by itself during moderate acceleration from a stop light. Each time I just hit the button to turn TC back on and all is well in the universe again. I'm not sure why it would be doing this. Any ideas?
PS - I know I was not bumping the button in any manner.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
It is telling you that it detected limited traction/wheel spin and took action to prevent it. It never "turned off" and never needed to be turned back on.

Sec 5 page 22 of 2013 Camaro Owners manual:
"The StabiliTrak system or the
Traction Control System (TCS)
indicator/warning light comes on
briefly while starting the engine.
If it does not, have the vehicle
serviced by your dealer. If the
system is working normally, the
indicator light will then go off.
The indicator/warning light flashes
while the StabiliTrak or TCS system
is working to control the vehicle on
a low traction surface
."

If you have it turned off the TCS symbol with "OFF" underneath it will illuminate and STAY illuminated.

Traction Control System
(TCS) OFF/StabiliTrak OFF Light

This light should come on briefly as
the engine is started. If it does not
come on, have the vehicle serviced
by your dealer.
This light comes on when the
StabiliTrak system is turned off.

If the TCS is off, wheel spin is not
limited

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 07-30-2013 at 10:05 AM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
snymat68

Hmm. I've never noticed an "OFF" light. It's just the tire with "TC" in it with the slash through it. Or the car with wavy skid marks for the stabilitrak indicator light. I'll have to take a look when I shut them off after work today, but I don't think it will say OFF anywhere.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
Old 07-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
13 is different it has no "off indicator" but other than that the above is correct.
you are losing traction and it is telling you.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
snymat68

Well that's good I suppose. Lol. Now that I think about it, it started happening about the time I installed my ported TB. I guess it does help the low end torque...
Aesthetic Mods
Old 07-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Yes if you look at page 5-21 if you have ONLY the traction control off you get the tire symbol with the line through it, but it only lights up when only TC is turned off or when there is a problem with TC making it in-op. If I'm not mistaken the only thing that momentarily lights up when the car detects wheel spin/limited traction is the Stabilitrak light. If you have BOTH the Stabilitrak and Traction Control off you have the car/Squiggly lines/OFF underneath with the "TC OFF" also. It is its own indicator below the "you've had some wheel slip Stabilitrak light" and to the right of "TC OFF." Got this from the 2013 Camaro manual download from Chevrolet's site.

"Traction Off Light
This light should come on briefly as
the engine is started. If it does not
come on, have the vehicle serviced
by your dealer.
This light comes on when the
Traction Control System (TCS) has
been turned off by pressing and
releasing the TCS/StabiliTrak
button.
This light also comes on and the
system turns off if there is a problem
with the TCS.
If the light comes on and stays on
for an extended period of time while
the system is turned on, the vehicle
needs service."

Nothing about it lighting up if wheel spin is detected.
Attached Images

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 07-30-2013 at 11:30 AM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote