Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

Drives: 2017 1LE
Help with suspension!

Guys I need some advice! Alright right now I have some extra cash in the pocket and I want to spend it on suspension. I'm pushing 420rwhp and I actually want to put that on the ground without spinning lol now I was told if I can stick I will break something with my stock set up.. So my question is what should I get! Axles? Driveshaft? And what do you guys think about the 1LE package. My dealership is selling it to me for 1300 and I have that voucher for a free install. Is it worth it?

Last edited by Twoblindsheep; 08-15-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Twoblindsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
Subframe Bushings would be a good start, either the inserts that use the stock bushings, but just take up the open areas in the bushings, or the full bushings that just replace the bushings completely.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

now with subframe bushings would i still be in the clear when i want to hard launch the car?
i know 420rwhp isnt much but i just want to feel comfortable launching the car without worrying that im going to break something lol
Old 08-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
Rob@WretchedMS

there is nothing that says you can't break anything on a bone stock SS, that chance is always there.

If you want to get your car setup for Drag Racing there are a number of things that you can do to help your launch, however replacing the axles and stuff won't help that at all, just makes it less likely to break.

Sorry if i can't give you a black and white answer,
Old 08-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
ModBargains.com

Drives: Widebody 2013 Mustang GT
You're not really going to break anything with 420rwhp. Sure you abuse the car, but I'd concentrate on getting the stance right for your car. Getting coilovers would increase overall grip during turns, not really during acceleration in a straight line, but will help overall in the twisties

I'd personally go that route, then when you get some seriously huge power, then go with axles and other preventative stuff so you don't break the car.
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
there is nothing that says you can't break anything on a bone stock SS, that chance is always there.

If you want to get your car setup for Drag Racing there are a number of things that you can do to help your launch, however replacing the axles and stuff won't help that at all, just makes it less likely to break.

Sorry if i can't give you a black and white answer,
well im not even too huge on the drag racing, i just want to be able to beat on the car when i want it without sitting in one place spinning lol
but with how much im pushing i should be fine with my stock axles and shaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post
You're not really going to break anything with 420rwhp. Sure you abuse the car, but I'd concentrate on getting the stance right for your car. Getting coilovers would increase overall grip during turns, not really during acceleration in a straight line, but will help overall in the twisties

I'd personally go that route, then when you get some seriously huge power, then go with axles and other preventative stuff so you don't break the car.
yeah i was going to go with coilovers first but with my bumper sitting so low already.. lowering will just be too risky.. but that my fault.. love the bumper too much lol
what would you suggest if i wanted more power or torque without going supercharger or turbo?

also would you guys suggest me ever using the launch control ever? not necessary on the strips.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
Rob@WretchedMS

If you are running street tires i woudln't loose sleep about breaking things.

Ways to help the traction off the line
1. Bushings
2. Alignment
3. Stiffer Springs/Coilovers
4. Swaybars

1 and 2 being a very close tie

1. When you launch the car the bushings are allowing the subframe to jump all over the place, and the arm bushings allow the wheels to twist in places that you don't want them to twist.
2. When you launch the car the rear squats, when the rear squats the camber increases, when the camber increases your tire leans in and the contact patch with the ground gets smaller as the tire leans in more. Adding Alignment Bolts that allow more adjustment will help control the camber.
3. Stiffer springs and Coilovers can help to prevent the rear of the car from squatting when you launch the car also.
4. Swaybars would be the last in the line, but moving to the ZL1 style FE4 swyabar will keep the car planted more on launch, and keep both tires at more equal torque ranges helping with both launch as well as hop.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

Quote:

1. Bushings
2. Alignment
4. Swaybars

1. When you launch the car the bushings are allowing the subframe to jump all over the place, and the arm bushings allow the wheels to twist in places that you don't want them to twist.
2. When you launch the car the rear squats, when the rear squats the camber increases, when the camber increases your tire leans in and the contact patch with the ground gets smaller as the tire leans in more. Adding Alignment Bolts that allow more adjustment will help control the camber.
3. Stiffer springs and Coilovers can help to prevent the rear of the car from squatting when you launch the car also.
4. Swaybars would be the last in the line, but moving to the ZL1 style FE4 swyabar will keep the car planted more on launch, and keep both tires at more equal torque ranges helping with both launch as well as hop.
thanks for all they help! what bushing should i get or start off on? EP1201?
Old 08-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
Rob@WretchedMS

The Inserts are good for stock and slightly modded Camaro's, but i think you would be better suited with the EP1201's.

If you were going to go that route, i would also twist your arm a bit on getting the Alignment Bolt Kit, since you have to drop the subframe down a bit to install the bushings, as well as the left side toe adjuster bolt. This will save you time down the road, and allow a better alignment.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

Quote:

1. Bushings
2. Alignment
4. Swaybars

Quote:
The Inserts are good for stock and slightly modded Camaro's, but i think you would be better suited with the EP1201's.

If you were going to go that route, i would also twist your arm a bit on getting the Alignment Bolt Kit, since you have to drop the subframe down a bit to install the bushings, as well as the left side toe adjuster bolt. This will save you time down the road, and allow a better alignment.
yeah thats what i plan on getting first the bushing and the bolts.
now let say if i was going for track use would i still be going with this route?
Old 08-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
Rob@WretchedMS

yes 100%

if you want to do the package go with the street 1 package
on my site you can select what bushings you want
this way you can get the bushings and bolts as a package and save money
Old 08-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
get an alignment first.

also, street tires will spin on a v6 soooo if you dont like spinning learn throttle control.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #13
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
get an alignment first.

also, street tires will spin on a v6 soooo if you dont like spinning learn throttle control.
mine is a v8.. i have the zl1 wheels and tires pushing 420rwhp.. and we were talking about launching the car. not at a stop light of course.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
And in response to your earlier question, if you like your clutch NEVER USE LAUNCH CONTROL!!!

When you do launch your car the thing that breaks axles and driveshafts is wheel hop. If the car starts to do it get out of the throttle, immediately. What Rob is recommending will eliminate a lot of it but not all.

Here is the thing though, the more launches you do the more the stock axles and driveshaft weaken. It will only be a matter of time before they give out. IF you are going to get serious about drag racing, or constantly launching on the street, start saving your money for some Drive Shaft Shop 1000HP axles and an aluminum driveshaft. If for nothing else than peace of mind. I have seen too many axles and driveshafts give out with repeated launches at your power level, and less, just because of the repetition.

If you go to Drag radials it is even harder on the drivetrain.

Stronger is always better.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote