Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
sqzdog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Daytime Running Lights DRL not coming on

Hi everyone-

We are new to the forum. We just purchased a 2010 2SS with 2,100 miles on it and absolutely love it.

One thing we can't figure out is how to get the DRL (fog lamps) to turn on. I checked in the fuse in the #50 fog lamp spot under the hood and it was good. I'm wondering if the previous owner disconnected them from the bulbs. When I start the car in the daytime outside, they are supposed to come on, right?
sqzdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
chernmax
I Need a Volunteer!!!

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
LOL, I had the same issue, they come on automatically for daytime driving and when it gets dark they switch to headlights!!!

On the later models they are in the center of the light control knob! I bought my car used also with 2.8K miles and no owners manual, you can download it for free online, just do a google search!
chernmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
kunk1963
Inferno SS

Drives: 2011 Inferno 2SS/RS
I believe if U have the RS Package they should come on automatic, if Not, then there should be a Switch to turn the Fog Lights on.

2012 Centennial Edition Corvette
2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
2011 Merlot Street Glide
2013 IOM ZL1 A6 w/Black Wheels, Order Pending
USAF Retired & Lovin Life one day at a time!!!!
kunk1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Yes, they are supposed to be on anytime there is enough light to trip the light sensor on the dash. If you have nothing, first verify the basics:

bulbs are present (yes, guys pull em out)
the bulbs are connected and power is present (again guys pull the fuse/wiring)
bulbs are not burned out
and this is rather rare, but some have modded the headlight switch to stay in the off position (it is normally spring loaded to return to default after a key cycle: DRL's ON)
Old 12-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
Disconnected.

I have this same problem.

Had some bumper work done, must of disconnected the wiring... Too lazy to reconnect haha.
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
sqzdog

yes, mine has the RS package. Will check wiring and bulbs next and post back.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Because you have the RS package you have DRLs not fog lights. There is no button to turn them on or off it is automatic.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
The Stig

Also moved to the issues/problems subforum
Old 12-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzdog View Post
Hi everyone-

We are new to the forum. We just purchased a 2010 2SS with 2,100 miles on it and absolutely love it.

One thing we can't figure out is how to get the DRL (fog lamps) to turn on. I checked in the fuse in the #50 fog lamp spot under the hood and it was good. I'm wondering if the previous owner disconnected them from the bulbs. When I start the car in the daytime outside, they are supposed to come on, right?
Assuming that the wiring has not been modified, you can check to see if the wiring harness is connected. There is a single socket connector for the wiring for the front fascia (controls the DRLs). This can be checked from underneath the car, but will need to put it on ramps or a lift. The connector is directly below the passenger side headlight, approximately at the end of the lower grill insert:

This photo shows my SS with the front fascia removed and the connector for the DRLs:

This is the backside of the front fascia (on my living room floor with stock grill removed) for reference

And a closeup of the back of the passenger side DRL to show where the wiring harness plugs in (up and to the left of the DRL in the pic - or up and toward center of hood while on the car):

Hopefully this helps ya.
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Also, just thought about it ... if the wiring harness is not connected, you will not have power to the side marker lights on the front fascia.

If you have power to those marker lights, then the harness is connected and you either have bulb issues or the wiring harness has been changed to allow manual switching of the DRLs from the cabin (some folks have converted their DRLs to fog lights using an aftermarket harness)
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #11
sqzdog

Well, I just backed it out of the garage and the DRL's were on. Don't know how I missed that. Thanks for all of the feedback. This car is amazing.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
The Stig

Old 12-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #13
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
I'm almost certain they go off when the parking brake is on. I could see them reflected on the car in front of me when driving and they were off when I put the parking brake on and got out to look at them. If that is correct I'd guess that they go off in park with an automatic also. Maybe that's why you missed them the first time.
Lee123 is offline   Reply With Quote