Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-01-2014, 11:38 PM   #85
ThrashMetalGuy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbass440 View Post
I got the 3.91 gear kit from jegs for $398 shipped ,took gear kit and my car to the Chevy dealer Wednesday . the pinion bearing was slightly damaged when it was pressed it off the pinion and a new one had to be ordered should be here Friday. hope to pick up my car late Friday or early Saturday . I am going through bad Camaro withdraws I need my fix now!
Cool!! I dropped mine off monday at the dealer for the 3.91 gears to be installed and got it back this afternoon. The mechanic changed the pinion bearings too. Had my stock differential bushings changed with bmr polyurathane street bushings. Might as well why the center section was out. He told me to do a few heat cycles,not to beat on for 500 miles and don't go over 65mph. Can't wait for wot.
ThrashMetalGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #86
dumbass440

Drives: 2014 1ss rs 1le track pak 3.91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashMetalGuy View Post
Cool!! I dropped mine off monday at the dealer for the 3.91 gears to be installed and got it back this afternoon. The mechanic changed the pinion bearings too. Had my stock differential bushings changed with bmr polyurathane street bushings. Might as well why the center section was out. He told me to do a few heat cycles,not to beat on for 500 miles and don't go over 65mph. Can't wait for wot.
I know, the hard part for me will be keeping my right foot under control for first 500 miles.
dumbass440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #87
ThrashMetalGuy

Quote:
I know, the hard part for me will be keeping my right foot under control for first 500 miles.
I hear ya!! I just caught one of your earlier post about the dealer needing the vin# when I was ordering the gear kit. Now I now why. I went about halfway on the throttle today and I can feel the difference off the line. The 3.91's are gonna be fun after the 500 mile break-in. BTW the price for your gear install was slightly cheaper then mine. Let me know how everything went
Old 05-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #88
ThrashMetalGuy

Quote:
I hear ya!! I just caught one of your earlier post about the dealer needing the vin# when I was ordering the gear kit. Now I now why. I went about halfway on the throttle today and I can feel the difference off the line. The 3.91's are gonna be fun after the 500 mile break-in. BTW the price for your gear install was slightly cheaper then mine. Let me know how everything went
Have fun!!
Old 05-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #89
dumbass440

Drives: 2014 1ss rs 1le track pak 3.91
Quote:
Have fun!!
I picked up my car today I have about 50 miles on it so far. it feels so much better! this is the way it should have left the factory! about 150 rpm more at 55 mph and about 220 rpm more at 80 mph. before I would have to let the clutch out carefully so not to stall and it would sound like their was something wrong with the drivetrain, sounded like their was slack in the drivetrain ,lots of clunks and thuds .it always felt like it was lugging at slow speeds or wen taking off from a stop sign. now no lugging feel ,smoothed out clutch feel no clunks or thuds . it makes it feel like a deferent car and feels so much faster after a few more miles I will find out how much faster it actually is . and a big thanks to Brandon at Madera auto center!
dumbass440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #90
Grayman

Drives: 2012 SS Conv. w/ SLP ZL454 package
I kept checking different sites for the gear kit. I was told it should be shipping at any time, this was back in March. I called my dealership and they said it was finally available. Specifically, this was the gear kit listed on the Chevrolet Performance site for the Camaro. It took four days to get from Lansing, MI to Tulsa, OK.

I scheduled the install for a Wednesday (dealer installed to maintain warranty.) I didn't get the car back until 12:00 p.m. the following Tuesday. Twice the dealership had to overnight specialty tools from GM. Luckily the guy who had done all the programming on the car previously was the one to do it this time.

I can definitely tell a difference as I spent last weekend in the Ozark Mountains getting reacquainted with my cars handling.

The gear kit cost me $638 out the door. The install was another $1183, which included a few small parts, diff fluid, and an oil change.
Grayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #91
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Jeez, how many hours are they charging for the install?! I'm seeing up to 2k for install in this thread, yikes.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #92
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Jeez, how many hours are they charging for the install?! I'm seeing up to 2k for install in this thread, yikes.
It is about a 6-8 hours job. Even if the gears are included $2000 is ridiculous.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #93
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
It is about a 6-8 hours job. Even if the gears are included $2000 is ridiculous.
Thanks
Old 05-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #94
RxRated

Drives: 2013 SS/RS LS3 NPP/Hurst
I paid $350 labor for installation at RPM Motorsports in Raleigh. I highly recommend them!
RxRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #95
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Quote:
I tried to order the gm 3.91 complete kit and was told I have to send gm my vin number before they would authorize the kit to be sold to me. has any one else heard about this?
A vin is now required if you try to order the ring gear and pinion set that is in the parts catalog for the 1le. That's the older kit that included gears, bolts, crush sleeve, pinion nut.

The new part number comes with pinion seal, driveshaft bolts, additive, clutch pack(only 1 which is stupid).

Why you have to have a vin for the older part number? Well, because no one would order the newer kit that costs more money.

So YES, to get just the normal 3.91 ring and pinion setup like everyone was doing, you have to have a 1le vin, they are on restriction.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #96
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
For a complete diff or gears only they do but for the kit they do not need your VIN. I have several of them on the shelf and did not have to provide VIN numbers for them.

All of this confusion about VIN numbers and warranties is why GM does not do more of this stuff. Most of their dealerships are clueless.
Actually GM isn't clear on anything on the dealership level, they leave us in the dark.

I cant get an answer from anyone there as to why there is only 1 clutch pack assy with the new gear kit. Do you know the answer to that one?
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #97
ThrashMetalGuy

Quote:
I picked up my car today I have about 50 miles on it so far. it feels so much better! this is the way it should have left the factory! about 150 rpm more at 55 mph and about 220 rpm more at 80 mph. before I would have to let the clutch out carefully so not to stall and it would sound like their was something wrong with the drivetrain, sounded like their was slack in the drivetrain ,lots of clunks and thuds .it always felt like it was lugging at slow speeds or wen taking off from a stop sign. now no lugging feel ,smoothed out clutch feel no clunks or thuds . it makes it feel like a deferent car and feels so much faster after a few more miles I will find out how much faster it actually is . and a big thanks to Brandon at Madera auto center!
A huge improvement. Glad to hear ya like the gears and I agree!! this is the way it should have been from the factory and my rpm's are almost identical. 250 miles till WOT. I see a new set of rear tires in our near future. The only thing is when the dealer tuned the engine(they used hp tuner)and could only put in a pre-set performance tune for my 6L80 auto. He wasn't able to adjust the shift points and line pressure which I've read on c5f helps since the gearing in the autos are aggressive with the 3:91's. BTW the motor feels great w/the hp tune and he left it unlocked. I wish I could only adjust the tranny tune with a handheld tuner. I'm just gonna have fun w/the 3:91's the way they are for now.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #98
ThrashMetalGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
A vin is now required if you try to order the ring gear and pinion set that is in the parts catalog for the 1le. That's the older kit that included gears, bolts, crush sleeve, pinion nut.

The new part number comes with pinion seal, driveshaft bolts, additive, clutch pack(only 1 which is stupid).

Why you have to have a vin for the older part number? Well, because no one would order the newer kit that costs more money.

So YES, to get just the normal 3.91 ring and pinion setup like everyone was doing, you have to have a 1le vin, they are on restriction.
I ordered the 1LE 3:91 gear kit for my 2012 2SS/RS L99 and they did need my vin#. From what I read it's for the speedo calibration and the 12month/12,000 mile warranty(which ever comes first) The speedo calib is included in the cost when the dealer does the gear swap. The paperwork for speedo calib and warranty were in the box w/the gear kit. Wow!! Now you have to have a 1LE vin# and are on restriction. I wonder why.