Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #85
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlos55 View Post
Got my ELM327 scanner today. I had a bit of a problem getting it and the phone to talk but it's all good now. Maybe I'll get some time tomorrow to play with it some more.
Sweet! If you need any help, give me a call!
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #86
cowboy1948

Drives: 10 LT2/RS-08 SILVERADO-05 COBALT
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1948 View Post
It was this this morning when i went out. but now its cloudy. Streets are drying up. Maybe tomarrow i ll get done. I just got up from a nap, and i am tired...
Dang. it started to rain again.arggggggg

Retired
cowboy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #87
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I have done quite a bit of looking into this torque app and my understanding is that it doesn't use the phone's built in accelerometer to measure the 0 - 60 and 1/4 mile times...it uses GPS and the car's data from the OBD port. I was also told that the less items you monitor, the faster the car can return info to the ones you are monitoring. Read below for more... Here is a snippet of what I was told from the Torque site admim:

Quote:
Hi!

Accelerometers aren’t used for any of the speed/hp calculations. The app uses the direct readings from the measured speed from the vehicles engine management (and GPS is used to validate the readings)

The cheap adapters can suffer from ‘error counts’ which will be visible in the ‘adapter status’ screen in the full app. Typically, a good adapter should have an error count of 0 (anything other than this means it’s faulty and should be replaced). This can cause issues where it will affect the accuracy of results on faulty adapters.

The more expensive adapters are better built, and are tested before they are being sent out, ones like the scantool OBDLink are quicker at retrieving sensor information, but sensor retrieval speed also depends on the ECU. One thing to look out for is that the more sensors you are reading/logging, the longer a particular sensor takes to be polled.

The OBD speed read from the ECU is typically to within 0.2mph of actual speed (you can verify this by travelling at a constant speed with the GPS speed vs OBD speed widget). Ignore the speedometer as they are all typically calibrated ~ +6% to read faster than your actual speed

Quote:
Hi!

Weight is needed purely to calculate the HP of the vehicle not for the 0-60 or quarter mile(etc) runs

Generally, people get about 10-15 PIDs/sec.

There is a ‘Faster Communication’ option in the settings. It is not enabled by default as some faulty adapters don’t work well with the setting. You will want to make sure this option is enabled in the settings as it makes a big difference to read speeds

The ‘Lag’ can be put down to the following things:

* Faulty adapters (any adapter with a ‘error count’ above 0 should be replaced).

* People trying to log far too many sensors. (10 PIDs/sec means if you are logging 10 sensors, you get a complete refresh once per second)

* Not enabling the ‘faster communication’ setting (which in some cases significantly increases the speed at which PIDs can be read

* The type of adapter used. (For example, The ScanTool.net OBDLink adapter is consistently faster than all the other adapters at reading the most PIDs/sec and the OBDKey can be slow in some ECU setups).

So, for a read speed of 10PIDs/sec, you can read one sensor 10 times a second.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #88
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I have done quite a bit of looking into this torque app and my understanding is that it doesn't use the phone's built in accelerometer to measure the 0 - 60 and 1/4 mile times...it uses GPS and the car's data from the OBD port. I was also told that the less items you monitor, the faster the car can return info to the ones you are monitoring. Read below for more... Here is a snippet of what I was told from the Torque site admim:
True. My normal count is 20+ pids per a second. Some pids like some voltages and temperatures only request the pid once every 1-2 seconds. However, rpm and speed may request up to 3-5 times a second. Its all about what you are monitoring.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #89
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Whoever has an L99 and knows how to record well - post up differences on the D and S mode. Visually I see when I get on the throttle I see the RPM for D shifting at 4k and the S at 5k. I also notice the S will downshift more often than the D. I actually don't recall D mode downshifting when I get on the gas. If it does then I have to get it on more.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #90
KMPrenger

So I just got the Torque app and an ELM adapter and so far I've just toyed around with it. Seems pretty awsome!

Can anyone recommend a decent but not overly expensive mount that would allow me to mount to the windshield and to the dash somewhere? I wouldn't care if it could mount to the winsheild or not but I also just came across the Track Recorder plug-in for this app and it looks awsome. It allows you to record video while also monitoring your data and view all of this later. For instance:

I can't think of any safe places around me to do good 1/4 mile runs but I did find a place to try and do a couple 0 - 60 runs. Anyone know how accurate this is for these types of runs?? I've researched this topic before, but have never really asked you guys for your input. I couldn't tell if the app started recording data as soon as I took off or before or slightly after. The maker of this app says it uses GPS and the OBD II data to get the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times so you'd think it would be fairly accurate.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #91
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Whats a Droid?
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #92
cowboy1948

Drives: 10 LT2/RS-08 SILVERADO-05 COBALT
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PercyJWellingtonIII View Post
Whats a Droid?
You know. those thinggs in star wars.

Retired
cowboy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #93
KMPrenger

Think my first 0 - 60 run below would have been below 6 for sure if it wasn't for the over abundance of spinning...if you pay attention you see the car pulling left lol...every run was with TC on. I've not really done hardly any hard launches like this so still getting used to it.

Not sure how accurate the 0 - 60 on the torque app is, but I managed to get below 6 seconds on my final run which I know my car is capable of doing so I was happy.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #94
webigon

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS L99 Auto SIM
OK - I have this Torque app and OBDII bluetooth all setup with my Galaxy Nexus. I ran some tests and the best 0-60 I could get was 5.1 sec. and max HP 291. Right now I only have CAI and Borla ATAK installed. I think the HP is low! I was thinking it should be above 340 maybe... with my mods... any ideas? I think I have all the settings correct in the app... or maybe HP can only be really tested on a dyno? I have the SCT X3... will that tell me exact HP?
webigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #95
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by webigon View Post
OK - I have this Torque app and OBDII bluetooth all setup with my Galaxy Nexus. I ran some tests and the best 0-60 I could get was 5.1 sec. and max HP 291. Right now I only have CAI and Borla ATAK installed. I think the HP is low! I was thinking it should be above 340 maybe... with my mods... any ideas? I think I have all the settings correct in the app... or maybe HP can only be really tested on a dyno? I have the SCT X3... will that tell me exact HP?
Don't worry about using it to determine your HP level. I'm not saying it will never get close to your actual level, but most of the time it will be way way off.

Torque is a fantastic app though and well worth the money in my opinion. I've used it to clear codes, monitor my fuel trims, knock retard, and other things, along with doing 0 - 60 runs and making cool videos like the one I posted above.

I'm not sure if the 0 - 60 is perfect either, but I feel it is pretty close, if maybe a tenth or two slow. Best I've gotten is a 5.8 0 - 60 and I expect my car to be able to do mid 5s and I'd expect your car to be capable of high 4s for sure.

If it wasn't for the initial wheelspin I get even with TC on I'd be in the mid 5s easy with my V6 and the mods I have.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #96
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Anyone know of an app like this that will run on the kindle fire? It has an accelerometer, so it should be able to work.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #97
InfernoSS454

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Ok so if I get the elm adaptor and use the torque app and I can read what if any codes are thrown on my cel. And where can I get the elm adator at.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #98
InfernoSS454

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
What no answers I got to start my own thread.