Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
Parabolica
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
2.5" Vs. 3" exhaust with Blower.

I've got a TVS2300 with a CAI and 1 7/8" TSP headers & 3" exhaust. The car runs great, but the exhaust hangs too low and scrapes in dips. I won't even attempt some driveways and speed bumps. I'm considering going back to a 2 1/2" exhaust or another cat-back that doesn't hang so low.

How much difference would going to the 2 1/2" exhaust make performance wise? Has anyone actually compared the systems on a dyno with a blown motor?
Parabolica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
SSlim

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey 1SS/RS A6
Not trying to switch you off your topic, but sounds like something else is wrong with your setup. I have LT's and 3" exhaust with a 1.4" drop and I don't have any scrapes. What exactly is scraping? I would raise my car back up or at least go with a different set of springs before I reduced the exhaust size. But that's just me.
Whipple, GT9 cam, LS3 conversion, ZL1 pistons, ZL1 rods, Circle D converter, Stage 3 trans, Tuned by Pat G, CAI inc, TPS headers, posi mod, Dynomax bullet cat back, VMAX TB, ADM Scoop, RX catch can, Eibach prokit plus, Eurotek Mesh 33 wheels, P13w DRLs, Pioneer/Massive Audio/Vibe/JL interior goodies.
613 RWHP/596 TQ
SSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
same here,i have bottomed 1 time and that was on a huge speed bump...it could happen more, but maybe because i have coilovers and keep my ride stiff helps..am running 3 inch magnaflow and with the drop , i am 4inches from ground
Old 06-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Parabolica
Account Suspended

^Yeah, I've scraped with the 2.5" stock system, but that's to be expected with a lowered car; this is just WAY lower and MUCH more of a problem. Did you have to remove your tunnel brace with the Magnaflow system? When you say 4 inches from the ground, at what point?

The Texas Speed system hangs pretty low. With the TSP system you have to remove the tunnel brace as the pipes sit about 1 1/2"'s below the tunnel brace. In other-words, the tunnel brace would bisect the pipes about halfway through them.

I just called and spoke with TSP and it seems like there's nothing they can do. They're pretty much telling me I'm one of maybe 5 people that bought their system that is having clearance issues (which I find extremely hard to believe) and that if I don't like it I could sell it here...

There's no reason for the pipes to hang that low; there's plenty of clearance for the pipes to be tucked up higher. I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a better designed system like this one. The fit and finish looks FAR superior to the TSP offering. For some reason the clamps on the TSP system are spot welded in place. That wouldn't be bad if they thought about where the bolt-ends would be on the installed system. Mine were sticking about 3/8" to 1/2" below the pipes! I had to cut the welds and rotate the clamps to get that clearance back so the pipe itself was the lowest point. I also raised the car 1/2" but there's just no way to make up for the fact this system sits a good 1 1/2"'s lower than other systems.

Besides the clearance issue, the drone is just unbearable!

I discovered the above thread after making this post so I'll probably just get that (or probably any other) 3" system that is properly designed...

This is just one of those instances where I tried to save a few bucks and it bit me in the ass! :face palm:

Live and learn...

Last edited by Parabolica; 06-04-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
UtG

Drives: '11 2SS/RS,'71 Cutlass S Vert,G6 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabolica View Post
^Yeah, I've scraped with the 2.5" stock system, but that's to be expected with a lowered car; this is just WAY lower and MUCH more of a problem. Did you have to remove your tunnel brace with the Magnaflow system? When you say 4 inches from the ground, at what point?

The Texas Speed system hangs pretty low. With the TSP system you have to remove the tunnel brace as the pipes sit about 1 1/2"'s below the tunnel brace. In other-words, the tunnel brace would bisect the pipes about halfway through them.

I just called and spoke with TSP and it seems like there's nothing they can do. They're pretty much telling me I'm one of maybe 5 people that bought their system that is having clearance issues (which I find extremely hard to believe) and that if I don't like it I could sell it here...

There's no reason for the pipes to hang that low; there's plenty of clearance for the pipes to be tucked up higher. I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a better designed system like this one. The fit and finish looks FAR superior to the TSP offering. For some reason the clamps on the TSP system are spot welded in place. That wouldn't be bad if they thought about where the bolt-ends would be on the installed system. Mine were sticking about 3/8" to 1/2" below the pipes! I had to cut the welds and rotate the clamps to get that clearance back so the pipe itself was the lowest point. I also raised the car 1/2" but there's just no way to make up for the fact this system sits a good 1 1/2"'s lower than other systems.

I discovered the above thread after making this post so I'll probably just get that (or probably any other) 3" system that is properly designed...

This is just one of those instances where I tried to save a few bucks and it bit me in the ass! :face palm:

Live and learn...
I have the TSP LT headers and a 3" exhaust and mine does not hang low nor have a i scraped anything. This was my first set of LT's i was expecting it to hang lower but after they were installed they were nicely tucked in. I am still sitting at stock height though. Did you do the install yourself or have a shop do it? I had a shop do mine and im more than happy with how the headers sit and sound/lack of drone.
UtG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:

well i don't hear about it much here.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
SSlim

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey 1SS/RS A6
Quote:

Live and learn...

Man that sucks! With the OBX and Dynamax I have the only clearance issue I had was the tunnel brace was bumping a little. Tightended up the clamps and put a washer under each bolt and no more issues.

Good luck with your ordeal!
Whipple, GT9 cam, LS3 conversion, ZL1 pistons, ZL1 rods, Circle D converter, Stage 3 trans, Tuned by Pat G, CAI inc, TPS headers, posi mod, Dynomax bullet cat back, VMAX TB, ADM Scoop, RX catch can, Eibach prokit plus, Eurotek Mesh 33 wheels, P13w DRLs, Pioneer/Massive Audio/Vibe/JL interior goodies.
613 RWHP/596 TQ
SSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
Parabolica
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtG View Post
I have the TSP LT headers and a 3" exhaust and mine does not hang low nor have a i scraped anything. This was my first set of LT's i was expecting it to hang lower but after they were installed they were nicely tucked in. I am still sitting at stock height though. Did you do the install yourself or have a shop do it? I had a shop do mine and im more than happy with how the headers sit and sound/lack of drone.
Well, maybe there is something wrong with mine then, but TSP swears they are all exactly the same.

The install is pretty straight forward. The headers determine how the system hangs from the cats, to the x-pipe. There is no getting around that! You can't install the headers wrong so that the rest of the system hangs low...

Speaking with LG Motorsports this morning, they tell me their system requires the tunnel brace to be shimmed about 1/4"; the link I posted shows a tunnel brace with ~ 1/4" of additional clearance. Borla tells me their 3" system fits within the tunnel brace. There is plenty of room for the system to tuck nicely within 1/4" of the tunnel brace. With TSP's system, the tunnel brace has to be removed because it sits so low...

How you cannot be bothered by the drone is completly beyond me...
Old 06-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Our system is a true 3" all the way back and you can run either our 3" muffler system or any one of the 2.5" kits on the market including OEM. I haven't had any issues with any part of the exhaust hanging or hitting.

The guys just got back with our One Lap car, even lowered it didn't hit.

I might look at seeing why it is hitting, or change the entire system.

As for the difference in power of a 2.5" to a 3" on the mufflers, depends on how much power the car is making as to what the power difference would be.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
Guinzu

Drives: 12 Camaro <-- Sold
Any way to post some pics of how low it's sitting? Just wondering.
Guinzu is offline   Reply With Quote