Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #1
rabel316

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
A Dealership Rant

I wish the people on this forum worked in dealerships, I think we'd all be better off and be faced with much more knowledgeable people. Here's the story....

I had a PDIM unit delivered, took me about an hour to install myself, and I took it to a dealer (Classic Chevrolet, Pittsburgh) to get the radio reprogrammed. Over the course of the 3 hours I was there, I heard the following:
  • What's a PDIM? (Should have been my first clue to leave)
  • This isn't a GM part. (It is)
  • Can you come to the service center and explain to our installer how to reprogram the radio? (I even printed off the instruction page and a TSB for them and gave them to the service guy when he took my keys)
  • You need a code from GM to reprogram the radio. (You don't)
And my favorite.....
  • It's reprogrammed. (It wasn't)
I spent three hours at a dealership for a job that requires them to plug a box into a cable and hit a button. And they still didn't get it right.

My money was refunded after I asked the service manager if he knew what a PDIM was. He said yes, so I asked him what it did. His response? "It connects the things." After asking what things, he just looked confused and refunded my money. Too bad he can't refund my three hours. Alright, rant over! Thanks for listening...I really needed to get that off my chest.
rabel316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
Outlander
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabel316 View Post
I wish the people on this forum worked in dealerships, I think we'd all be better off and be faced with much more knowledgeable people. Here's the story....

I had a PDIM unit delivered, took me about an hour to install myself, and I took it to a dealer (Classic Chevrolet, Pittsburgh) to get the radio reprogrammed. Over the course of the 3 hours I was there, I heard the following:
  • Can you come to the service center and explain to our installer how to reprogram the radio? (I even printed off the instruction page and a TSB for them and gave them to the service guy when he took my keys)
And my favorite.....
I spent three hours at a dealership for a job that requires them to plug a box into a cable and hit a button. And they still didn't get it right.

My money was refunded after I asked the service manager if he knew what a PDIM was. He said yes, so I asked him what it did. His response? "It connects the things." After asking what things, he just looked confused and refunded my money. Too bad he can't refund my three hours. Alright, rant over! Thanks for listening...I really needed to get that off my chest.
I guess we'll never get enough of these.

Last year I had OEM cruise control added to a new, base Sonic. The first dealership I called was perplexed so I called another. Then another until I was able to find someone that saw it was a kit that replaced the steering wheel and required an ECM re-flash for $350. They contacted GM in advance and confirmed they had the correct procedure and software download.

The car was in and out within an hour and the cruise worked flawlessly.

Ta-frickin-da.

Maybe your dealership is a bunch of nitwits but did you spend time with them up front to ensure you wouldn't be here today complaining about how clueless they are?
Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
rabel316

Yes, I did spend the time. I called 5 dealers in the area, and when I talked to Classic they told me that it was a half hour job and it was an easy update. That guy must have been off when I went in.

Also, I explained what they needed to do, gave them printed instructions that showed where they needed to plug in their MDI box, and what the reprogramming required (as stated in my original post). So yes, I put in the work. I'm glad you did your due diligence and it worked out for you, but that doesn't mean that other people don't do their research when problems happen.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
You guys are a bit harsh on your dealer's parts and service departments, aren't you? Don't forget, this is the "new" GM. They're learning, too.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
TOYMARO

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS 2SS
I LOVE my dealER here in C'bus. I will posting a RAVE review as soon as car is back together (trans).

Sorry to hear your woes.
TOYMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
My dealership and their service department is great, as far as I'm concerned! Prince Chevrolet, Albany, GA.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
2SS 2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black
I do think you need something to reprogram the radio .. The VIN maybe
2SS 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #9
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Give Tom Henry a call. They should be able to help you out.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #10
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
Quote:

And my favorite.....

Is this the classic chevrolet dealer in Bellvue? Try Miller and Sons Chevrolet in Aliquippa if you want a different dealer. Not sure where you are located in pittsburgh
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #11
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Doesn't the PDIM control the Flux Capacitor ???
Old 04-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #12
LS1hawk

Drives: 11 SGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMY1LE View Post
You must be thinking of something different. The PDIM controls the blinker fluid.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
rabel316

Quote:
Haha - dang it! That's what I was missing.

And yes, it is the Classic Chevrolet in Bellevue. I have an appointment with Wright today, so we'll see what happens. They said they've never done a Camaro reprogram, but they've done several other GM models.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #14
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Haha - dang it! That's what I was missing.

And yes, it is the Classic Chevrolet in Bellevue. I have an appointment with Wright today, so we'll see what happens. They said they've never done a Camaro reprogram, but they've done several other GM models.
Oh god....Wright. The dealership (their hyundai dealership) that single handedly destroyed my genesis coupe. I'd die before dealing with them ever again.