Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
Canadian 2lt rs.

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
2011 Camaro Heater core failed

Hi All,

I have a 2011 Camaro 2LT RS, the car has 63XXX KM's on it now. Last couple days I can smell anti-freeze inside the car and the pagganger floor mat is wet. I assume this is a heater core, but I've never heard of them going this early.

Car is at the dealership tonight to be diagnosed tomorrow.

Have you had this problem? Is it common on our cars? What even causes these to fail?

If any of you have had this please let me know how it worked out for you.

Thanks for your help

Derrick
Canadian 2lt rs. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I've not heard too many having this problem -- I have heard the Windshield needs to come out and there is a chance it could crack -- meaning new windshield too.

I've seen some talk on modern camaro about some leaking -- seems a very small rate though.

Best of luck and keep us posted...

-Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian 2lt rs. View Post
Hi All,

I have a 2011 Camaro 2LT RS, the car has 63XXX KM's on it now. Last couple days I can smell anti-freeze inside the car and the pagganger floor mat is wet. I assume this is a heater core, but I've never heard of them going this early.

Have you had this problem? Is it common on our cars? What even causes these to fail?

Thanks for your help

Derrick

Last edited by hammdo; 02-18-2019 at 09:01 PM.
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
You can bet your heater core has gone bad. If you are not under warranty, get ready for an expensive repair bill. This is a well known issue. Search around this forum and you'll see pics of those who have already gone through this process.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
DesertCamaro

Drives: Fast
I changed out the heater core in my '69 Mustang last fall and it took me 8 hours, I can't IMAGINE the complexity of changing one out in a modern car. Keep us posted!
Old 07-25-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Heres my ongoing sad story... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303321
BTW I hear there is a TSB on it.. PIC5457A.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
Canadian 2lt rs.

Well, Sadly you guys are right. It is a heater core, and the car is out of warranty.

The dealer seems to be being more than fair with me from all of the other stories i have read on line about this problem , but its still expensive!

Im speaking with GM about the problem, not sure what will come of this but lets hope for some help!

I do understand that the warranty is expired, but it hard too swallow a problem with a heater in a car that spends most of its time in the garage in the winter.

Derrick
Old 07-26-2014, 12:17 AM   #7
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Do you have any aftermarket electronics (sound systems, lighting, etc)? The reason I ask is because some heater core failures are due to electrolysis (heater cores in general, not necessarily 5th gen Camaros). It's basically excessive electrical current in the coolant due to poor electrical grounds and poor electronic installs.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:30 AM   #8
TheHorse13

GM will do nothing for you on this issue.

If you are lucky, your dealer has skilled mechanics who understand the process of replacing the heater core without removing the windshield. It requires shortening a few bolts near the glass. A few shops have done this and reported the process here on the forum.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #9
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
GM will do nothing for you on this issue.

If you are lucky, your dealer has skilled mechanics who understand the process of replacing the heater core without removing the windshield. It requires shortening a few bolts near the glass. A few shops have done this and reported the process here on the forum.
Yes there was post here about Tech's cutting the unnecessary length
off the bottom of the bolts in the upper dash, eliminating Windshield removal.
I think also later yrs you can get at it by just removing the touch screen.
2010 you are in for a big job!

I hate hearing about failed heater cores because of this.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
parkerss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
Do you have any aftermarket electronics (sound systems, lighting, etc)? The reason I ask is because some heater core failures are due to electrolysis (heater cores in general, not necessarily 5th gen Camaros). It's basically excessive electrical current in the coolant due to poor electrical grounds and poor electronic installs.
Very nicely said... you are educated I hate some of the answers your read here sometimes...drives me nuts!!!!
Old 07-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
Canadian 2lt rs.

Well, the story has taken a turn for the better!

GM was in contact with my local dealer late yesterday and I recieved a call this morning saying that GM was going to cover half the cost of this repair for me as a good will gesture!

Car is scheduled to go in Tuesday morning for the repair. Im still a little nervous about the whole thing, I dont like the idea of taking the windshield and dash out but it has to be fixed.

I could't be happer with the way this is being handled by GM and the dealer, they are really earning my business.

To answer the ealrier question, the car is bone stock without anything aftermarket.

Ill let you know how it turns out.

Derrick
Old 07-27-2014, 06:17 AM   #12
TheHorse13

You hit the GM lottery. Congrats.

Make SURE that they change the carpet and padding out or you will never get rid of the sweet smell of coolant from your interior.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #13
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
that is good news, indeed...
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:17 AM   #14
KahunaSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss
lets recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian 2lt rs. View Post
Hi All,

Thanks for your help

Derrick
Heater cores are starting to leak causing problems for our drivers,, Not only is it expensive to fix it can also be dangerous,, Imagine you driving at a certain speed and you son or wife is on the passenger side and you son is wearing sandals or your wife is wearing heels and she screams in pain and scares the hell out of you and you lose control on the car and crash? Not very safe.. or your driving and the window keeps fogging and you can't see and you crash.. you over heat and break down somewhere and your car won't start and your in the middle of the road and some drunk a- hole hits you... Right now Chevy has issued a recall for out damn key.. because we can hit it with our knee cause the car to turn off and us losing control... sounds like the same thing if you car shut off from over heating and i have never heard of that problem,,, please file a complaint so we can all be assured if ours goes it can be fixed,, I'm starting to smell fluid and i have a 11 ss and it has 37000 miles... contact https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and fill out the form... lets fix this matter...
KahunaSS is offline   Reply With Quote