Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #43
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by GXPMAN View Post
Heck I don't know who fbodfather is either so enlighten us!

I' Wouldnt think that 25k is that far off the mark considering what the base G8 IS going for..
Scott Settlemire
Author, Camaro Subject Matter Expert

Biography: Scott Settlemire was raised in Suburban Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. His Father and Uncle were Chevrolet dealers and his cousin still runs a Chevrolet Dealership. This gave Scott a very unique perspective on cars – and Chevrolet in particular - and as a result, he has an interesting understanding of Chevrolets … and Camaro in particular.

He’s been in his words "a rabid Camaro Fan since I first saw a Camaro in person on September 10, 1966."

"Being involved in the Chevrolet Camaro is more than a job to me … it has been a life-long passion."

Scott graduated from Northwood University and worked as Sales Manager for a Chevy Dealership prior to being approached by General Motors. He started his GM career in Philadelphia and held many positions in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Vermont, Connecticut, Suburban Boston, Metropolitan New York and, of course, Detroit.

He became Asst. Brand Manager – Camaro (and later Camaro Product Manager) on the Camaro/Corvette Performance Car Team and worked on the 4th gen F-car. His official title is "Manager – Chevrolet and Hummer Shows and Exhibits" – but he’s still working with the Camaro team and Chevrolet on the next generation Camaro.

GM Global Headquarters, Detroit, Michigan

Articles written by Scott Settlemire:
The Day the Panther Died
Chevrolet Full-sized Nameplates From the Early 1950s to Present Day
Some Camaro History

Retrieved from "http://wiki.gmnext.com/wiki/index.php/Scott_Settlemire"

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #44
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matster View Post
Well said my friend.... all this bitching and moaning about price...stop and consider what you're gonna be getting for your dollar. No disrespect intended, but if you only want to spent 18K perhaps you should be looking at a different vehicle. Seriously, in the last production year of gen4 what was the top dawg's hp 300-350? Here in Canada that top dawg had an MSRP of 43-44K. Here we are 6/7 years later and an entry level LS will have 300hp. Is 22-25K that unreasonable?
Exactly, it's what you get for your money. Everything points to the Camaro being superior in every way to the Mustang so I'll gladly pay a bit more.

More me it comes down to this: a while back I went to a dealer and sat in a Bullitt Mustang. From the second I opened the door I was impressed, and I thought you sat really well, nice interior and seats and loved the shifter. And I overall loved the feeling of sitting in a coupe. Now I'm not ashamed to say that if I'd had the money that day I'd probably would have bought it (after a test drive of course). But again, everything points to the Camaro SS with leather seats being easily as nice interiorwise, if not nicer even, and certainly superior on the outside, and more likely for less money since it's not a special edition. So I'm not worried and I eagerly await the day when I can buy my SS.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #45
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emher View Post
Exactly, it's what you get for your money. Everything points to the Camaro being superior in every way to the Mustang so I'll gladly pay a bit more.

More me it comes down to this: a while back I went to a dealer and sat in a Bullitt Mustang. From the second I opened the door I was impressed, and I thought you sat really well, nice interior and seats and loved the shifter. And I overall loved the feeling of sitting in a coupe. Now I'm not ashamed to say that if I'd had the money that day I'd probably would have bought it (after a test drive of course). But again, everything points to the Camaro SS with leather seats being easily as nice interiorwise, if not nicer even, and certainly superior on the outside, and more likely for less money since it's not a special edition. So I'm not worried and I eagerly await the day when I can buy my SS.
I would never say I'd gladly pay more because they will raise the price on you!!! You should know better However the bullit Mustang was around $28,000 -$30,000 for the V8 at the dealer in Miami which puts it close to the Base Camaro V8 with the RS package perhaps.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #46
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
I was under the impression that they had already "officially" said that they had changed that strategy, and are now going to shoot for competitive pricing with the Mustang and Challenger. That said,I'll still be buying my Camaro as long as I can ring in a V6 LT/RS with four pack gauges and stripes for less than 25 grand. Otherwise, I'll wait a year or two, and either buy it new then, or used.

The problem, however, is that we few thousand in this forum DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT represent the majority of camaro, mustang, and challenger buyers. Yes, we will be the vast majority of people who buy the car in its first couple months. After that, the majority of buyers will be high school kids who want a pretty car and who's parents are actually silly enough to buy one for them, or college kids who want a good performance bargain. In that market, even a few thousand dollars is a lot of money when it comes down to it - and will cost them lots of sales. Price will be just as important as, if not more important than, appearance and performance.

Yes, a lot of the people on these forums are interested in all the cool features we get with the money we spend. But to an entry level car buyer, its about how it looks and how fast it will go. Chevy cannot afford to make it much more expensive than the mustang, and CERTAINLY no more expensive than the challenger at 22k. They just wont net any sales after the enthusiasts all nab up their cars. So, no, 22-25k is not unreasonable. But at that price, I'd be seriously worried about the camaro going under again from lack of sales.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #47
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I would never say I'd gladly pay more because they will raise the price on you!!! You should know better However the bullit Mustang was around $28,000 -$30,000 for the V8 at the dealer in Miami which puts it close to the Base Camaro V8 with the RS package perhaps.
Dude, I'm going to have to pay more over here then you guys anyway, so I might as well make sure it will be the Camaro I want. And that I will pay extra for.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #48
OldTimer

Drives: 2012 Victory Red ZL1 MG9
According to the Ford web site the base V6 mustang starts at $19,735 and the base V8 starts at $26,425. Therefore, I think we can expect the camaro V6 to start at least in the $21,500 range and the SS at $28,200. If the camaro isn't at least $1500-$1800 more then the mustang for base levels I would be surprised. My opinion, its worth it in looks alone.
OldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:28 PM   #49
camaro_burns_all

Drives: 04 Pathfinder
if the msrp of a v6 camaro is like 21k, then we are talking business. 25k, is a bit too much, and if thats the case then like before mustang will mop the floor with camaros when it comes to selling
camaro_burns_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #50
65bus

Drives: 92 Z28, 72 Chevy truck, 65 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to 65bus
Some of yall need to watch this video again he says there competeting in value that the compition cant touch and will be piced competivly with the stang,
http://www.gmnext.com/Details/Videos...c-3d0af3930932

and also GM is not going to overprice it because there allready in trouble (money) and need this car to help take the market back, which reminds me dont forget to watch CNBC tomorrow at 9pm eastern time for the Dale review of the Camaro and how there gonna save GM
65bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #51
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
According to the Ford web site the base V6 mustang starts at $19,735 and the base V8 starts at $26,425. Therefore, I think we can expect the camaro V6 to start at least in the $21,500 range and the SS at $28,200. If the camaro isn't at least $1500-$1800 more then the mustang for base levels I would be surprised. My opinion, its worth it in looks alone.
I think psychologically they need to keep within 1 thousands digit of the mustang. So $19,735 gives them up to $20,999 for a sticker price. For $26,425 they get up to $27,999 for a base price.

In people's heads, the base mustang is $19,--- and the v8 one is $26,--- and to be competative they can't appear to be $21,--- for the V6 camaro and they can't be $28,--- for the V8!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #52
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65bus View Post
Some of yall need to watch this video again he says there competeting in value that the compition cant touch and will be piced competivly with the stang,
http://www.gmnext.com/Details/Videos...c-3d0af3930932

and also GM is not going to overprice it because there allready in trouble (money) and need this car to help take the market back, which reminds me dont forget to watch CNBC tomorrow at 9pm eastern time for the Dale review of the Camaro and how there gonna save GM
Yea I think he says competes with the competition with price of overall value and quality in a chevy aka if we price it a little too much it's because it is a chevy and is better than the others. If I am wrong correct me. They can easily price the v6 at 23-25 and say it is competetive with the stang except you pay a bit more for "quality".
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:09 PM   #53
GXPMAN

Drives: Pontiac Solstice GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
Yea I think he says competes with the competition with price of overall value and quality in a chevy aka if we price it a little too much it's because it is a chevy and is better than the others. If I am wrong correct me. They can easily price the v6 at 23-25 and say it is competetive with the stang except you pay a bit more for "quality".
'

Well they could also say.. The 300 HP mustang GT is 26 k,, Your getting a 300HP camaro for 25k.. Same Hp less cash.
GXPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #54
65bus

Drives: 92 Z28, 72 Chevy truck, 65 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to 65bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
Poeple dont look at it that way, to some ford is a better, and to some dodge is the better, even though i agree with chevy being the better doesnt make them that way. Being the Camaro is new to the public again they cant say its the best because it hasnt been out long enough for long millage/reliability test. But who cares if its priced with the stang theyll sell and if its priced with the SRT8 there screwed,
65bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #55
WillInThe04Ranger

Drives: 04 Ranger, 95 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to WillInThe04Ranger
Car and driver article, TODAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car and Driver Sept 08 Issue
2010 Chevrolet Camaro - Car News

Neo-retro? Déjà new? Chevy freshens the bloodlines of an old breed.

BY TONY SWAN, PHOTOGRAPHY BY JIM FRENAK
July 2008

So here it is, the third and final entry in the 21st-century pony-car-revival derby. Get your bets down early because we don’t expect to see any more resurrections of famous makes from the galloping go-go Sixties—Barracuda, Firebird, Javelin, et al.—and even gloomier, we think it likely that, given fuel prices and other concerns, this revival is likely to lack the fervor and duration of the original movement.

The first production version of the new Camaro we’ve seen and touched is this yellow car displayed in our gallery. “Touched” includes sitting in, briefly, but did not include driving. And “production” means production sheetmetal but not a showroom-ready car. That happens much later. New Camaros will appear in Chevy dealerships in March, arriving as 2010 models. Convertibles (softtops, no folding hardtop) are due about a year later.

While we have not had our first Camaro driving experience, here’s what we know. Like rival offerings from Ford and, more recently, Dodge, the latest Camaro was inspired by one from the golden age, specifically the 1969 SS model owned by GM design chief Ed Welburn. However, unlike the other revivalist ponies, Chevy’s isn’t a slavish stylistic rerun of the original. Like the Camaro concept that appeared at the 2006 Detroit show—all but identical to it, in fact—Chevy’s neo-retro approach, brought to production readiness under the supervision of Tom Peters, adds plenty of fresh touches, most notably the front end and the dramatic fender creases and character lines, touches that had die-makers tearing their hair and muttering dark curses.

“Those shoulders at the rear have the deepest one-piece stamping we’ve ever done,” says Al Oppenheiser, chief vehicle engineer on the project. “It took us 10 or 12 iterations to get it right.”

This is a much bigger coupe than Welburn’s ’69 SS, and it’s bigger than the current Mustang, though the Dodge Challenger, riding a slightly abbreviated Charger sedan platform, dwarfs them both. Like the Challenger, the Camaro has some sedan in its structural résumé, too, elements of the Zeta I platform developed by Holden, in Australia, that give the Pontiac G8 its eager road responses. But there’s enough difference in the Camaro version—shorter wheelbase and stiffer overall, particularly from the A-pillar forward—to justify a Zeta II designation.

At 112.3 inches, the Camaro’s wheelbase is 2.5 inches shorter than that of the G8, and overall length is 6.5 inches shorter than the Pontiac from Oz. Also, the Camaro team moved the front wheels forward 3.0 inches (part of the Zeta II program), and the coupe’s 63.7-inch front track is an inch wider than the G8’s, as is its overall width—at 75.5 inches, it’s a smidge narrower than the otherwise much bigger Challenger.

Like the G8, the Camaro uses struts up front and a multilink arrangement at the rear. However, the engine rides an inch further toward the front, and the steering rack sits ahead of the front axle. Chevy will offer 18-, 19-, and 20-inch wheel choices for the Camaro, but the tires that wrap these rims will share a common rolling diameter—28.7 inches. This touch, new for a GM car, keeps the wheel wells nicely filled and also makes for simple speedometer calibration. The battery stows in the trunk to enhance weight distribution, which Chevy reports as 52/48. Three trim levels will be offered: LS, LT, and SS. Curb weights range from an estimated 3741 pounds for an LT V-6 manual to 3913 for an SS V-8 automatic.

Which brings us to powertrains. A 300-hp, direct-injection 3.6-liter, DOHC 24-valve V-6 with variable valve timing will be standard in the LS and LT models, while the Camaro SS will be available with one of two 6.2-liter pushrod V-8s. Camaro SS's with an automatic tranny get the 400-hp L99, while manual-transmission cars get the 422-hp LS3—we'd say 22 extra horses is a fine reason to opt to row your own gears. The L99 features cylinder-deactivation.

No one at Chevy will discuss the rumor of a possible future turbo four. Ditto hybrids. Fuel economy for the V-6 is being reported as 26 mpg highway, while Chevy claims as high as 23 mpg on the highway for the V-8. Decent figures, especially considering the available power, but they fall far short of the lofty numbers many consumers expect these days.

The six will come with an Aisin six-speed manual or a GM 6L50 six-speed Hydramatic also used in the Cadillac CTS. V-8 transmissions will be a Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual, essentially the same gearbox employed in the Corvette, or a GM 6L80 six-speed automatic.

What kind of performance can we expect from the bad-boy pony? The Camaro kids weren’t ready to talk specifics yet but were willing to say they expect their car to be quicker than the Challenger SRT8 (0 to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds, 13.3 at 108 mph in the quarter-mile), and further, that it’ll deliver the same kind of exemplary dynamics that distinguish the G8, except more so.

Like the exterior, the inner Camaro revives some sense of yesteryear, but its furnishings are thoroughly modern. Credit a design team headed by Jeff Perkins.

The deeply bolstered bucket seats are both supportive and comfortable, the instruments feature a bluish illumination that would have prompted UFO alerts back in ’69, and the steering wheel has the array of auxiliary switches for audio and cruise control that we take for granted today. One distinctly retro touch is the quartet of small gauges mounted just ahead of the shifter. Three of them provide info that was common in the ’60s but rare today—oil pressure, oil temperature, and ammeter. The fourth is a readout for torque. Torque? Yes, torque.

An available RS appearance package can be added to the mid-level LT and the top-spec SS, and nabs HID headlamps, a spoiler, unique taillamps, and 20-inch wheels.

The materials in our primary photo subject, which we expect to be the basic Camaro, are high quality, and the list of standard equipment appears to be extensive. The word “basic” doesn’t really seem relevant, and chief engineer Al Oppenheiser admits that Camaro pricing will “be more expensive than Mustang.” How much more expensive obviously remains to be seen. But we’ll make this fearless forecast: With 300 horsepower and Zeta II responses, the new V-6 version figures to be the performance bargain in the Camaro corral, as well as neo-ponydom at large.

Hey, can we get this nag to the starting gate? We’re ready. America’s ready.

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe or convertible

ESTIMATED BASE PRICE: $25,000

ENGINES*: DOHC 24-valve 3.6-liter V-6, 300 hp, 273 lb-ft; pushrod 16-valve 6.2-liter V-8, 400–422 hp, 395–408 lb-ft

TRANSMISSIONS: 6-speed automatic with manumatic shifting, 6-speed manual

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 112.3 in Length: 190.4 in Width: 75.5 in Height: 54.2 in
Curb weight: 3750–3900 lb

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST, V-8 ENGINES):
Zero to 60 mph: 4.8–5.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.3–13.9 sec

PROJECTED FUEL ECONOMY (C/D EST):
EPA city driving: 15–17 mpg
EPA highway driving: 23–26 mpg
*Horsepower and torque figures are manufacturer’s estimates
idk if its a repost or not but hey!!