Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 05-23-2016, 10:33 AM   #1
DarthZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
BTR Stage III cam swap, what did you replace?

I have some questions on the BTR stage III cam sawp.

1. Did you change the springs, retainers, etc?
2. Did you keep the stock lifters, if not what did you use?
3. Do you use the stock length pushrods? If not (because of swapped lifters, or otherwise), what length did you use?

The engine will be essentially brand new when it get swapped. (for an upcoming project).

Any help or insight would be appreciated.
--- DarthZL1 - 2014 ZL1 #2095 M6 Black. Bone Stock ---
--- BigNLo - 1996 Impala SS Hot Rod Black. Lots of mods ---
DarthZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
mikey1107

Drives: 2017 SS
Assuming stock everything going to BTR cam? Then, Yes you will have to change springs and pushrods, You can use stock lifters. The pushrods length should be measured once the cam is installed and correct length ordered. I believe BTR will require you to change the cam sprocket to a 3 bolt, stock is a single bolt.

mikey1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:30 PM   #3
E. Bryant
Gearhead

Drives: 2012 ZL1
In addition to mikey's list, consider adding a rocker arm trunnion upgrade. Also, when switching to the 3-bolt cam gear, it's a good idea to remove the stock LS3-style "leaf" timing chain tensioner and replace it with a LS2-style "dogbone" damper.

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6 - JRE 650 RWHP kit, AFCO heat exchanger, JPSS V4 aero, Z28 wheels for the twisties and Weld big-n-littles for the dragstrip.
11.193@128.13 in 515' DA
E. Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
most people leave the stock lifters because in order to replace them you have to remove the heads. The stock springs, retainers, locks, and pushrods should be replaced with upgraded units. The upper timing gear and timing chain should be replaced. The C5r timing chain is very nice but somewhat expensive through Katech. ARP crank bolt is preferable with a new timing cover seal and crank snout seal. The water pump gaskets can be reused as well as the valve cover gasket seals. Leave the rocker trunions stock according to my tuner and other reputable shops. LS2 tensioner is preferable as stated above.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:21 PM   #5
ZL1Kid_AL

Drives: 2014 ZL1- Summit White M6
I did everything as mentioned above except I did not put a different timing chain or LS2 tensioner.. Mainly because I did mine at home on jack stands and could not lower the pan enough to remove the oil pump pickup tube to get the chain out. Also the spring style tensioner looked better than an LS2 style IMO
Old 05-23-2016, 10:02 PM   #6
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Follow what Stephen said.
You need
Cam
Springs
retainers (preferably Titanium)
spring seats
valve locks
timing chain
LS2 damper
cam gear
gaskets all reusable but optional if you want them.
crank bolt
pushrods optional but good upgrade.

You can actually get the BTR3 cam ground on a single bolt design and then keep the stock tensioner and damper design.
The cam gears have different pitch and the chains are different too. Don't mismatch the two chain and damper designs.
Either keep it all original or change everything.

So get LS2 design chain, damper, and cam gear. Or else get a single bolt cam and keep the stock chain, damper and gear.

If you call Brian Tooley he can put together everything for you and send it to your door.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:12 PM   #7
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
This is what I did, not saying you NEED to do this:

ls2 damper
c5r timing chain
comp cams trunion upgrade
new valve seals
cadillac racing lifters
Dual valve springs

Stephen12ZL1, and ZO6 Bryan are dead on, great advice.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:30 AM   #8
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
If you got the cash get aftermarket heads too. Upgrading the valve train while the engine is in the car is a PITA. My back hurts just thinking about it.
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:32 AM   #9
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
most people leave the stock lifters because in order to replace them you have to remove the heads. The stock springs, retainers, locks, and pushrods should be replaced with upgraded units. The upper timing gear and timing chain should be replaced. The C5r timing chain is very nice but somewhat expensive through Katech. ARP crank bolt is preferable with a new timing cover seal and crank snout seal. The water pump gaskets can be reused as well as the valve cover gasket seals. Leave the rocker trunions stock according to my tuner and other reputable shops. LS2 tensioner is preferable as stated above.
I am shaking my head?

"You" would recommend replacing the timing chain but not the lifters with a new cam?
Re-using LS water pump gaskets?
No Trunnion upgrade? Why would you ask the tuner and not the engine builder??
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:34 AM   #10
1KillerSS

Gaskets can be re used, no biggie, as for the lifters, not necessary. I did mine, because I was rebuilding my engine, and had the heads off anyway.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
Old 05-24-2016, 12:34 AM   #11
LSX Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Kid_AL View Post
I did everything as mentioned above except I did not put a different timing chain or LS2 tensioner.. Mainly because I did mine at home on jack stands and could not lower the pan enough to remove the oil pump pickup tube to get the chain out. Also the spring style tensioner looked better than an LS2 style IMO
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
Old 05-24-2016, 12:39 AM   #12
LSX Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
Gaskets can be re used, no biggie, as for the lifters, not necessary. I did mine, because I was rebuilding my engine, and had the heads off anyway.
Why would you re-use any gasket? Please give me your professional opinion?
Old 05-24-2016, 12:41 AM   #13
1KillerSS

Me personally, I wouldn't but they can be reused, they are not the old paper and cork gaskets that they used to be. Why don't you stop being a condescending jerk and offer some constructive advise, instead of just tearing down others.

Build thread
Old 05-24-2016, 12:42 AM   #14
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Kid_AL View Post
I'm confused here. I also did mine on jacks. The pickup tube doesn't need to be moved. You just take off the oil pump and you're good to go. How did you even get the cam gear off if you didn't take off the oil pump ? What did you actually end up swapping?

Edit: Oil pump, not chain.
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote