Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #15
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
The rear tire stretched across the 11" wheel looks bad to me, I am putting on Forgeline wheels with NT-05's 275/40-20's on the front and 315/35-20 on the rear....will post pictures when I get them on...

WHAT??? FORGELINE WHEELS.... wow.... oh well...
Old 11-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #16
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Why are you going wider in the rear for winter, you will get less traction? Narrower is better for winter and snow. Pressure equals force over area. If you go narrower your contqct patch area is smaller, ur force is same because that is weight of vehicle. Hence, ur pressure on the contact patch is higher now which is good in slippery situations. Ur drag is also lower in deep snow with the narrower tire, providing better stability.
, agreed.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #17
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
Threads like this make me envision a GM engineer that worked on the 1LE package reading this and screaming at his monitor.

You guys are not concerned with upsetting the balance of the car? It would be interesting to have a skidpad done on the car with the square setup Vs 305s on the back.
No, if they really wanted a square set up done right, they should have used 10" wheels all around, the 285 stretched across the 11" wheel looks awful and looks like it is going to wear the tire quickly...I'll get the ZL1 Pedders or Pfadt rear sway bar, it'll be good when I'm done with it...
Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Quote:
No, if they really wanted a square set up done right, they should have used 10" wheels all around, the 285 stretched across the 11" wheel looks awful and looks like it is going to wear the tire quickly...I'll get the ZL1 Pedders or Pfadt rear sway bar, it'll be good when I'm done with it...
So your saying the engineers at Chevrolet did not use the correct approach?
That your approach is better and will give the Camaro better times? Im interested in this, how much more money will this cost.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #19
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI HLK View Post
So your saying the engineers at Chevrolet did not use the correct approach?
That your approach is better and will give the Camaro better times? Im interested in this, how much more money will this cost.
I think if the square approach was the best way, why isn't it used on the ZL1? And yes, I don't like their approach to stretch the tire on the rear that much...best part is this is my Camaro and I'll mod it the way I want it...
Old 11-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #20
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
The reason it is not square on the zl1 is because it has torque everywhere, all the time, and putting anything more than 285 in the front will be undrivable steering wise.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #21
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Quote:
The reason it is not square on the zl1 is because it has torque everywhere, all the time, and putting anything more than 285 in the front will be undrivable steering wise.
You do realize we are talking about a mere 1" of tire width difference between a 285 and 305, hardly a big difference....
Old 11-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #22
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Quote:
Why are you going wider in the rear for winter, you will get less traction? Narrower is better for winter and snow. Pressure equals force over area. If you go narrower your contqct patch area is smaller, ur force is same because that is weight of vehicle. Hence, ur pressure on the contact patch is higher now which is good in slippery situations. Ur drag is also lower in deep snow with the narrower tire, providing better stability.
90% of the reason is not bc I think wider is better bc that's not the case. It's well known that the 1LE stock tires are HORRIBLE in cold weather and they won't last too long.

I'm mainly doing it for two reasons:
1: Save tread for my stockers for next year
2: The Continentals I got are high performance ALL WEATHER tires and have stellar reviews and will only use throughout the winter
Old 11-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #23
radametz

Drives: 2013 CRT 2SS/1LE; 2016 Colorado Z71
From what I've read about the ZL1 Goodyears, the front 285's were designed to reduce understeer in the car, while the rear 305's were designed to gain traction on launch and put all of the ZL1's torque to the ground. The reason for having the 285's on all 4 corners was to further reduce understeer in the SS/1LE. Since the LS3 doesn't put out the torque of the LSA, there's not as much benefit to the rear tire tread.

All-in-all I'm extremely happy with the 285's all around. The rears don't look nearly as bad as some people say they do stretched over the 11" wheels. I think I've had 1 person even notice it so far.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #24
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
I think if the square approach was the best way, why isn't it used on the ZL1? And yes, I don't like their approach to stretch the tire on the rear that much...best part is this is my Camaro and I'll mod it the way I want it...
Have you listened to Al Openheisser's explanation? They don't want too much traction on the rear.

"The reason (we stretched the same sized zl1 front tire on an 11" rear wheel) is that this is a track car. And for track you don't necessarily want to push that tire patch down by having downforce or too much grip in the back. It's contrary to trying to fix the understeer. We wanted to loosen up the slip and allow you to ring this thing out because in competitive mode this thing is a track car."

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=16nyCdbVdM8

Good luck with your overrides. Let us know if you have another method of fixing the understeer.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #25
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Whatever, unless any of you have the driving skill of a Danny Popp or Mark Stielow, I seriously doubt your going to ring out this thing out to that point...

I am going to experiment with this Camaro until I get it where I want it...coilovers coming in the near future, bushings will be upgraded, CTSV front brakes and then lots of practice and adjustments till this Camaro reacts the way I want it too...

I am happy all you guys or girls are happy with your stock Camaro, but to quote Jesse James, "stock sucks"
Old 11-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #26
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
Quote:
Whatever, unless any of you have the driving skill of a Danny Popp or Mark Stielow, I seriously doubt your going to ring out this thing out to that point...

I am going to experiment with this Camaro until I get it where I want it...coilovers coming in the near future, bushings will be upgraded, CTSV front brakes and then lots of practice and adjustments till this Camaro reacts the way I want it too...

I am happy all you guys or girls are happy with your stock Camaro, but to quote Jesse James, "stock sucks"
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #27
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
Threads like this make me envision a GM engineer that worked on the 1LE package reading this and screaming at his monitor.

You guys are not concerned with upsetting the balance of the car? It would be interesting to have a skidpad done on the car with the square setup Vs 305s on the back.
I fully agree. Any changes you make have to be well thought out.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #28
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:

Talk to Pete with Pedders he'll get you where you wanna be
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote