Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Yellow Lexus Type Fog Lights?

Does anyone know a setup that would work on my SS in which the fog lights would give off the yellow look that a Lexus does? I just love the yellow on Lexus fog lights where it is like a crystal yellow. I tried doing this on an RSX I owned with 3000K HIDs but it looked like piss yellow, really light colored piss. Just was horrible.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Yellow fogs are for imports! Yuck on a Muscle car!
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
guiLT
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2001 Maxima
I agree.

Yellow fogs =
Old 06-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenixdragon View Post
Does anyone know a setup that would work on my SS in which the fog lights would give off the yellow look that a Lexus does? I just love the yellow on Lexus fog lights where it is like a crystal yellow. I tried doing this on an RSX I owned with 3000K HIDs but it looked like piss yellow, really light colored piss. Just was horrible.
I would like this look also. I've been trying to find either amber bulbs or amber tint that I can apply to the lenses. But as you said, it has to be the right color.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
phenixdragon

Maybe it is just a lens. I never really looked into how Lexus gets their yellow like that. Just bright and clear.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
That's funny....I worked for the Lexus dealer here in town and, like myself, most of the employees hated that yellow look. Especially on the cars with the HID headlamps....the fog lights needed to "match" the look of the headlamps.

Many customers hated it too. Consequently, most people kept the foglights turned off. The Lexus DRL's were just as bad.

I'll be switching my Camaro foglights to "match" the HID headlamps so that it looks right, not making them "yellower".
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
phenixdragon

Do you know what it was that made them that yellow that only Lexus has?

I do like the halogen whites with HID headlights but never liked HID fog lights.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Put some new bulbs in a box with burning cigarettes and they'll get that dingy yellowish look.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
HOZAY
The Eponymous Jose

Drives: A V6. Yes. A LLT.
Have you tried eBay? Most likely they'll have something close there, if not the bulb, then perhaps a lens tint.

::drives his RS Camaro all over this thread::

Old 06-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
phenixdragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJxiv1215 View Post
Have you tried eBay? Most likely they'll have something close there, if not the bulb, then perhaps a lens tint.

::drives his RS Camaro all over this thread::

I could look but when I looked for my RSX I never really could find (online) what Lexus does. Maybe I just need to go to the dealer.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
That's funny....I worked for the Lexus dealer here in town and, like myself, most of the employees hated that yellow look. Especially on the cars with the HID headlamps....the fog lights needed to "match" the look of the headlamps.

Many customers hated it too. Consequently, most people kept the foglights turned off. The Lexus DRL's were just as bad.

I'll be switching my Camaro foglights to "match" the HID headlamps so that it looks right, not making them "yellower".
This is what happens in this celebrity, fame, appearance, style-obssessed culture; they want the looks they think will impress others and that's all that matters to them. Purpose or function is irrelevant. People are actually willing to compromise function just for the sake of a trendy "look".

To me it doesn't look "right" for fog lights to match the headlights because I know the purpose of fog lights. Fog lights are intended to penetrate fog and haze which is why you see yellow lights from the manufacturers that understand that. Bright white light reflects and bounces back in your eyes when it hits fog or haze, so it actually makes it harder for you to see. Yellow minimizes that effect enabling you to see farther under bad visibility conditions which is the whole purpose of fog lights and why coincidentally enough, they are in fact called fog lights.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
phenixdragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
This is what happens in this celebrity, fame, appearance, style-obssessed culture; they want the looks they think will impress others and that's all that matters to them. Purpose or function is irrelevant. People are actually willing to compromise function just for the sake of a trendy "look".

To me it doesn't look "right" for fog lights to match the headlights because I know the purpose of fog lights. Fog lights are intended to penetrate fog and haze which is why you see yellow lights from the manufacturers that understand that. Bright white light reflects and bounces back in your eyes when it hits fog or haze, so it actually makes it harder for you to see. Yellow minimizes that effect enabling you to see farther under bad visibility conditions which is the whole purpose of fog lights and why coincidentally enough, they are in fact called fog lights.
Dunno...never seen factory fog lights that are really functional.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #13
HeadlightArmor

Drives: Company Car
Well a lot of interesting comments on this one

Having lived most of my life in the snow and rain belt, yellow lights are much better in snow, rain and fog than white. Do factory fogs do a lot? Depends on what you are hoping for. Seems a lot of people think they should somehow be duplicate low beams, just a little lower. No, never seen factory fogs that do that, Lexus included. Most just fill in the area from the bumper to the low beams of the headlights. Better than nothing but not what some hope for.

Some like the look of yellow for the fogs, some don't.

It's all good. There are other options available if the yellow is too much for you in our vendor thread here
HeadlightArmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #14
BFxenon.com
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
you can also do a 3000K 5202 HID kit for this....
BFxenon.com is offline   Reply With Quote