Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
FishirOne

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Is paint covered under the warranty?

Hey guys,
I've been having some problems with the paint on my car. Very noticeable when another black Camaro pulls along next to me. The difference is night and day.

The black on my car isn't as shiny as the other blacks.

But that isn't the main problem. The main problem is on my front bumper and the top of my front quarter panels. The paint is visibly fading. There are spots on my front end that are just fading badly. As if someone sanded it..

Would this be covered under warranty? If so, is there anything I could use while submitting it to the dealer? To show them that it's supposed to be covered.

Thanks.
FishirOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
According to Hedrick's Chevrolet in Clovis CA, paint is the customer's problem.

But yes, it should be to an extent. If your clear coat is already falling apart, they should handle it.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Punisher80

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
yes it is covered. I know when I bought my Camaro, I was told about the paint being covered for I believe 5 years.
Punisher80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Not sure about exported Camaros but the good old environmentally friendly water based paint on our cars is horrible. Scratches and fade happen super fast and very easily. OP, I assume your car sees a lot of sun which will causing fading even faster. Unfortunately, paint and clear coat are considered "wear items" unless you can prove some sort of factory defect.

How often do you wax or apply sealant? Both will help protect the paint from UV and also give the car a nice shiny look.
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
alaskacamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher80 View Post
yes it is covered. I know when I bought my Camaro, I was told about the paint being covered for I believe 5 years.
Your dealer will cover the paint for five years? I was given understand the paint is covered only from factory/manufacture defects for a year.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
FishirOne

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Yes the Saudi Arabian sun is a scorcher for sure. This is my first car and unfortunately, I'm only learning of the things to do and not to do to a car just now. Like not leaving it out in the sun when it's 50 degrees Celsius. So I can guess why my car isn't as shiny yes. But that doesn't answer the problem to the front end. The front end is 65% faded. almost a grey color.
FishirOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskacamaro View Post
Your dealer will cover the paint for five years? I was given understand the paint is covered only from factory/manufacture defects for a year.
This is true. I just read it on the internet.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #8
alaskacamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
This is true. I just read it on the internet.
My bad then. If the internet said it, it has to be 100% true
Old 11-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
Punisher80

I believe it is a sealant of some sort that is applied to the car, I am at work and do not have the paperwork with me. I am fairly certain that paint is covered under the standard warranty if it is defective (i.e. bubbling excessive fading, etc) who decides if it covered though I could not tell you. Good luck OP, hope they cover it for you.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
alaskacamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishirOne View Post
Yes the Saudi Arabian sun is a scorcher for sure. This is my first car and unfortunately, I'm only learning of the things to do and not to do to a car just now. Like not leaving it out in the sun when it's 50 degrees Celsius. So I can guess why my car isn't as shiny yes. But that doesn't answer the problem to the front end. The front end is 65% faded. almost a grey color.
You may have to get a new paint job. Sounds like the UV has already damaged the paint. Not cheap but at least you can get a much better quality of paint on (as long as the shop is a quality shop).

I am religious when it comes to the exterior. Wash and wax a lot. Full detail (polish) once a year and the car is in the garage when not on the road. This next year I will be doing some paint (adding strips and removing the vinyl) and applying better clear coat because the scratches are just happening too easily.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #11
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
If paint on these cars were warranted for rock chips, GM would be digging out from another bankruptcy.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:05 PM   #12
Punisher80

Super polysteel is the environmental protection that was applied by the dealership.

https://www.iasdirect.com/products/SuperPolysteel.aspx
Old 11-21-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Corrosion carries a longer warranty than 3yr 36k miles.

Any other concerns may be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. No they will not buff your car out under warranty, the dealership may do it in good faith though.... doesn't hurt to ask.